Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I've tried to register and have failed.
    It either says "registration details later" or when I go another way, and click on "register", nothing happens.
    Can anybody assist ?
    Thanks.

Sorted and entered.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Sorted and entered.

Thanks.

Only home and seeing this now or I would have sent the link, glad you're sorted anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Don't the first x number of registrations get a free jersey? Or was that just the first year?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

First 2 years it was a jersey, this year it's a Great Dublin Bike Ride top, per the FAQ on the site. From what I remember there was a mixup last year with people who registered early not getting a jersey and some registering near the end getting one. So it's probably safer to give everyone the same item.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Anyone know when registration opens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Where does the €55 go?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭marvin42

can someone please send me the registration link? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Rokta

Event already full or why is registration not possible anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Rokta wrote: »
    Event already full or why is registration not possible anymore?

I think registration is only open to those, who received the text message with unique code.
    I think code was sent to people who have done event in the past, or are members of Cycling Ireland.

General registration will open for everyone at a later stage, I think.

Lot of thinks!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Rokta

I think registration is only open to those, who received the text message with unique code.
    I think code was sent to people who have done event in the past, or are members of Cycling Ireland.

General registration will open for everyone at a later stage, I think.

Lot of thinks!!!!

I am a member of cycling Ireland, but didn't do the event last year. Might be that.

• Advertisement

Did EventMaster host the GDBR last year, don't remember signing up for it and neither does my browser. I've renewed my CI licence and I did the cycle last year how do I go about getting a code, will I get one automatically?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Turns out I'm away when this is on so that's the decision made but I feel like the pricing might have put me off either way. I truly can't understand how it costs 22 quid more to cycle an extra 40km. The closed quays and the priority at junctions is a great reason to do this event but, sadly, I think the price has killed my interest in it.

jaqian wrote: »
    Did EventMaster host the GDBR last year, don't remember signing up for it and neither does my browser. I've renewed my CI licence and I did the cycle last year how do I go about getting a code, will I get one automatically?

I'm pretty sure I signed up through the CI website itself last year but could be totally imagining that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

I'm pretty sure I signed up through the CI website itself last year but could be totally imagining that.

You're not imaging it, that's exactly how it was handled last year so it's strange to see them outsource it this year.

I hope the food stops are better organised, Last year I thought the first one was for the 60k it was so close to the start, the last one I nearly didn't bother with was so close to the finish. Could really do with one in Garristown if the same route this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Looks like stops are in the same locations ...or maybe website is not updated from last year.

A stop at the 80KM mark on the 100km route is of no use .

I wonder will some enterprising people setup something in Garristown.

Last year a cake sale organised by some local Garristown ladies cleaned up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

DominoDub wrote: »
    Looks like stops are in the same locations ...or maybe website is not updated from last year.

A stop at the 80KM mark on the 100km route is of no use .

I wonder will some enterprising people setup something in Garristown.

Last year a cake sale organised by some local Garristown ladies cleaned up :D

This is a genuinely great idea. Since the event is for profit (edit: this turns out to be wrong - event is not-for-profit) any prospective cake sale ladies should prominently feature whatever cause (fixing the school playground, church roof, whatever) and have plenty of water on hand (organise a collection of those 5l bottles the supermarkets have and fill them from the taps).

If I was doing this I'd be tempted to have a donation system. If they charge then cyclists are unlikely to have change (who carries coins) and will feel ripped off if it's €5 for a slice of cake. If it's a donation for a good cause I'd say plenty of people would drop in €10 or €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭talos

Seems like registration is open (linked from the main site)

https://sirius.eventmaster.ie/event/0pwHzqsA1

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

HivemindXX wrote:
    Since the event is for profit any prospective cake sale... .

Assume you meant not for profit?

It's the Sports Council running it at cost.

Seanie_H wrote: »
    Assume you meant not for profit?

It's the Sports Council running it at cost.

Actually I didn't, so thanks for pointing this out.

I read in the FAQ that there was no charity involved and I assumed at that price that someone was making a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Not my real name

Signed up last week for the 100k.

It's my first one but I've done about 50k of the route around Naul/Garristown.

Got the discount code with CI for €45.

What kind of food do they provide, sandwiches, bananas?

• Advertisement

Went to register and I notice that we have to pay for the jerseys this year. Most sportives give the jersey for free, what a rip off.

jaqian wrote: »
    Went to register and I notice that we have to pay for the jerseys this year. Most sportives give the jersey for free, what a rip off.

Some, or most maybe, sportives don't have jerseys at all. The are not doing a great job of communication but buried in there somewhere is the information that every participant gets a 'top'. I'm assuming this is a t-shirt not a jersey, but I believe last year it was a nice one.

If you just want a souvenir then the top will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

I've registered :D

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I guess you're basically paying for your jersey, medal and food stops.. Also maybe there's some money taken out for the marshalls etc...

No 'jersey' either... comes at an extra fee....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I'm leading a group from work on the 60k as a charity gig this year.

Rode the route this morning before work and I feel they are missing a trick by underselling how much this is a beginner friendly event. Albeit for beginners who'll spend two or three hours a week on their bikes over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

apologies for bumping but just trying to look ahead ...

Coming up from Kerry for this with a couple of bikes and looking for recommendations for bike friendly hotels around the area .. preferably somewhere that are happy to allow the bikes in the room ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 clongain

Would people recommend doing all or a portion of the route before the event? New to the longer distances so been building up the km's for this and it will most likely be my longest spin to date when it comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

wouldn't say not to do it beforehand, but I'd certainly look to getting some hills into your training. some of them can be rough if you're relatively new

There was horrible headwind from 60km onward last year, I'll never forget it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

clongain wrote: »
    Would people recommend doing all or a portion of the route before the event? New to the longer distances so been building up the km's for this and it will most likely be my longest spin to date when it comes around.

It's a very beginner friendly event. I'd say if you can do a beginner climb like Howth head you'll have little problem with Snowtown or Naul.

I did the 100km route on my (admittedly light and nimble ) Singlespeed last year and had zero problems.

On the 60k route the drag at the halfway point is worse than any of end climbs. From having ridden it a month or two ago I'm pretty sure the biggest individual climb is the flyover bridge at Ashtown

Just pace yourself and keep spinning the low gears on the climbs and you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

The GDBR was only my second spin over that distance and I found it pretty easy going. The only thing I would add to rollingscone's good advice is if you stop at the food stop at Ballyboughal, don't stuff yourself! You've got a fairly immediate climb ahead at Snowtown and plenty were on the edge of the road looking at the food they'd eaten again!

None of the climbs are particularly tough, Howth Head is a fair approximation of the toughest of them, as would Bray Head from the Greystones side (assuming you live close to Dublin).

But you don't need to have covered the route before - I'd only been on the North Side once prior to doing the GDBR for a spin to Howth.

Advertisement