Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Borderfox wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the run in from Abbotstown especially the coned off part going down North King street, not too often you can let it fly down there without worrying about traffic and loved the cobbled finish

Thats because it wasn't raining! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kop Idol

Second time doing the 100k and knocked 30 minutes off last year's time so well chuffed with that.
    Organization was excellent, marshalls and gardai, its all been said above by others. Soup at the end was a little cup of heaven...though the bean content did have some lasting effects later on :)
    Food stop at the Naul was better positioned mileage-wise than Ballyboughal last year but the hill up to it caught a lot by surprise as most of us were in top gear descending into Naul. Coming out of there and hitting straight into the hills with a ham and cheese on board was probably not my best decision either. Wind was much kinder this year too with some serious headwinds to battle last year (hence some of the improved time).
    Did find that the merge at the end with the 60k was a little hairy with people of different experience and speeds thrown together when tired but overall a great day out.
    Finally respect to the pro's who race on cobbles as you wouldn't want to be doing that for more than the couple of hundred meters we did at the end ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Great cycle, very well organised. it was my first time doing the GDBR, we got in a good group at the front then stopped for food in the Naul, very enjoyable pace. Some nice climbs then after which split everyone up. Agree with others about the coned road towards the end, it was great going full gas down it.

The marshals, guards, moto crew did a great job :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Any ideas when/where the photos go up?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheJak01

Did the 60k yesterday - had a great day out. Really enjoyable cycling on some of the closed roads at the start. Made the mistake of being slightly late so was at the back of wave 2 which gave me a lot of folk to work through early on, but I was happy to enjoy it for what it was rather than trying to burst the first part through to the point.

Brilliantly marshalled and it was great to see so many folk riding around with a smile on their faces. The only thing that let it down was a couple of folk doing some risky manoeuvres down the malahide road trying to get ahead before everything had stretched out, but that was only a few folk and they mainly kept out of harms way.

First sportive I've done anyway. I've been trying to take up cycling properly but other sporting commitments that I take a little more seriously dictate that cycling around for 3+ hours on a sunday isn't the wisest move if I want to perform reasonably. I've been convinced though, it's all going to need to be early to mid summer stuff, but I'm quite keen on getting fitter on the bike and tackling a few routes of reasonable length next year. Oh, and I'll be back doing the GBBR too, I had a lot of fun - especially the pint after!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heraldo

Any ideas when/where the photos go up?

Try here sometime soon
    http://greatdublinbikeride.ie/gallery/

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heraldo

2nd time doing the 100k. Stayed in the front group until the inclines after Swords burned my fat ass off. Cycled solo for about 40k and then got into a nice group for the last 30k and everyone took their turn at the front.
    Knocked 30 mins off last years time and really enjoyed the day.
    Very well organised and marshalled, especially so for a 6000 participant sportive starting and finishing in the city centre.
    Still buzzing from the cycle and looking forward to next year already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

100k for me, 2nd year in a row.
    Took an hour off last year's time so happy with that.

Positive points:

Well marshalled
    Good atmosphere
    Great organisation of the roads leading into the city.
    No shortage of food at the stops (see below)

Negative points:

Absolute lemons overtaking into on coming traffic forcing them into the bus lane along the coast road down to Baldoyle. A mix of club riders, commuter warriors and just simple plebs

My sandwich in the Naul was on stale bread

Lavender water FFS?

Not enough toilets in the Naul (queue was about 15 mins)

I sound like a moan but I really enjoyed it and will sign up again next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

No one has mentioned it yet, but I think this year's medal is so much better than last year's!
    The jersey and the bag were much better last year though.

I enjoyed it again this year. Well organised for something that size.
    The Swords food stop was a bit messy and the queues were huge when I got there, but other than that no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

Was making my way to Dublin Airport on Sunday morning via the Aircoach - at O'Connell street we had to divert and ended up going all the way out to the M50! The turnout looked fantastic though!

• Advertisement

sparrowcar wrote: »
    100k for me, 2nd year in a row.
    Took an hour off last year's time so happy with that.

Positive points:

Well marshalled
    Good atmosphere
    Great organisation of the roads leading into the city.
    No shortage of food at the stops (see below)

Negative points:

Absolute lemons overtaking into on coming traffic forcing them into the bus lane along the coast road down to Baldoyle. A mix of club riders, commuter warriors and just simple plebs

My sandwich in the Naul was on stale bread

Lavender water FFS?

Not enough toilets in the Naul (queue was about 15 mins)

I sound like a moan but I really enjoyed it and will sign up again next year
    fjon wrote: »
    No one has mentioned it yet, but I think this year's medal is so much better than last year's!
    The jersey and the bag were much better last year though.

I enjoyed it again this year. Well organised for something that size.
    The Swords food stop was a bit messy and the queues were huge when I got there, but other than that no complaints.

C'mon!...its a mass participation event..of course there will be queue's. When I arrived at Naul all the bike racks were full...full of bikes, so we simply waited until someone left and took their spot. Same with the toilets. Oh and the trick to avoiding queue's is to get there first ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Q's at the food stop were fine, my last rebel tour it was 25 mins to get food...

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

3rd time doing the 100km, really enjoyable. Brilliantly organised and marshalled.

The large crates of lavender water reminded me of some kind of Only Fools and Horses deal gone wrong.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    C'mon!...its a mass participation event..of course there will be queue's. When I arrived at Naul all the bike racks were full...full of bikes, so we simply waited until someone left and took their spot. Same with the toilets. Oh and the trick to avoiding queue's is to get there first ;)

Point taken but 20 portaloos for that many people, that's not right in anyone's book.

Point taken but 20 portaloos for that many people, that's not right in anyone's book.

Its plenty! There were more at Swords, more in Abbotstown and even More in Smithfield...Besides..IMO unless you need to "Sit Down"..probably best to leave them free for the ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Really enjoyable day chatting with various people along the route. The marshalling and garda were great considering the huge numbers involved. Brilliant to have such huge support from the garda and sends a really good message to motorists. Will definitely be back again next all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Sonia has me under her elbow in one of those photos!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Sonia has me under her elbow in one of those photos!!!

Is that a good thing or bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Doc07

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Its plenty! There were more at Swords, more in Abbotstown and even More in Smithfield...Besides..IMO unless you need to "Sit Down"..probably best to leave them free for the ladies.

I did need to "sit down"...badly.
    Prob why I'm making a point about it.

Ok then I'll change my comment to...

Lavender water induced a case of the trots :)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

First time doing this event and finished the 100Km in 3:13 for an AVG of 30.7KMPh. Big jump from my average from the Meath heritage tour of 28.1KMPh which had similar climbing so i'm chuffed with that. Guess that trainer road subscription is paying off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

I didn't stop at the food stops other than a brief smash and grab for water on the first stop on 100Km. Didn't stay long enough to get an opinion of how it was organised.

My one and only gripe on the day was the way they handed out food/water while you were still technically on your bike. People have no way to hold the stuff while going so slow and the whole thing just bottle necks. Keep that stuff to on the actual square. Sure hand out the medals where they did but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Fireball XL5

A mix of club riders, commuter warriors and just simple plebs.

Words fail me.

This was a mass participation event and the reference to "just simple plebs" really annoys. What exactly did you expect?

When did cycling get so far up its own arse to merit a description like this?

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheJak01

Words fail me.

This was a mass participation event and the reference to "just simple plebs" really annoys. What exactly did you expect?

I'd imagine that's in reference to the eejits overtaking into oncoming traffic, rather than a slight on the many "non cyclists" (for want of a better word) that I'm sure we were all delighted to see out and having a great time yesterday.

Words fail me.

Stop looking for a soap box.

If I was going down that road i would have used the word "fred". I'm pointing out the ones thinking it was race and causing a danger to us all.

Back on topic now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

velo.2010 wrote: »
    55 euro for 100km a bike ride with no charity element....
    #daylightrobbery

on that point, where does the money go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Fireball XL5

Stop looking for a soap box.

If I was going down that road i would have used the word "fred". I'm pointing out the ones thinking it was race and causing a danger to us all.

Back on topic now

No soap box required - your words clearly reflect your thoughts.

• Advertisement

No soap box required - your words clearly reflect your thoughts.

Great, I'm glad you understand where I was coming from now.
    Are we moving on now...

Advertisement