Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin Bike Ride 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

philstar wrote: »
    on that point, where does the money go ?

Sports Ireland and Cycling Ireland I'd imagine. Also the cost of the Gardai for the day can't have been cheap and there was quite a few of them about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

py wrote: »
    Sports Ireland and Cycling Ireland I'd imagine. Also the cost of the Gardai for the day can't have been cheap and there was quite a few of them about.

+1...And the company that provided Marshals at every junction, the GAA clubs that provided their premise in Naul, the food suppliers, the Medal manufacturers, Barrier Hire, Medical cover etc. etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

It goes to the Troika, remember your Grandchilren have to pay back 40% of the European Union's Banking Debt or €88trillion!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

07Lapierre wrote: »
    +1...And the company that provided Marshals at every junction, the GAA clubs that provided their premise in Naul, the food suppliers, the Medal manufacturers, Barrier Hire, Medical cover etc. etc. etc.

I got some signs printed for work recently, even those add up!

Glad to hear the resounding positive feedback of the event overall. Did the 100k for the first time this year, last year was the 60k with my son. Next year might be the 60k with the Mrs - it's that type of event that it's inclusive and open for everyone.

Been looking through Strava, some great times in there. I was happy with my 3 hr 15 min!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thegreek

A lot of people asked the same question last year and the year before. I believe they put out a statement that the vast majority of the money went to the Garda Siochana who charge organisers for manning these events.

• Advertisement

thegreek wrote: »
    A lot of people asked the same question last year and the year before. I believe they put out a statement that the vast majority of the money went to the Garda Siochana who charge organisers for manning these events.

Absolutely it does. Despite what people think, this is overtime for Gardaí and it has to be paid for by those seeking the additional work. It costs money to close off streets, it costs money for the website, it costs money for the medals, it costs money for the private security.

In reality, the entrance fee is reasoable and justified.

Although a few energy bars and a bag of jellies in the goodie bag and a jersey wouldn't go amiss....

:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

and lots of those gardai are doing OT, cant be cheap

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

tbh, to cycle around with closed roads was worth the fee.

I think not having a cycle jersey was a cop out if you are getting something, it should be for the event that you are doing. Also from a PR perspective you'd see a lot of people wearing the GDBR jersey on the day

tbh, to cycle around with closed roads was worth the fee.

I think not having a cycle jersey was a cop out if you are getting something, it should be for the event that you are doing. Also from a PR perspective you'd see a lot of people wearing the GDBR jersey on the day

That was one thing I noticed from the pictures, not a lot of jersey wearers. Seemed to be quite a few wearers of the tshirt in the 60Km cycle but very few in the 100Km.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

That was one thing I noticed from the pictures, not a lot of jersey wearers. Seemed to be quite a few wearers of the tshirt in the 60Km cycle but very few in the 100Km.

Guys in the 100 are too cool :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Guys in the 100 are too cool :-)

...and in fairness, riders in the 60 are less likely to already own a jersey, so would be more likely to make use of the freebie t-shirt.

My only (mild) complaint was that, when I registered on Fri evening, they were already out of L & XL t-shirts, but with large piles of M & S ones - not great planning...
    I ended up taking a Medium t-shirt and giving it to a work colleague who cycles, but who didn't do the GDBR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Talking about the lack of Jerseys I always notice on the GDBR a distinct lack of Club representation on the ride (as opposed to marshaling feed stations etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Type 17 wrote: »
    ...and in fairness, riders in the 60 are less likely to already own a jersey, so would be more likely to make use of the freebie t-shirt.

My only (mild) complaint was that, when I registered on Fri evening, they were already out of L & XL t-shirts, but with large piles of M & S ones - not great planning...
    I ended up taking a Medium t-shirt and giving it to a work colleague who cycles, but who didn't do the GDBR.

I didn't get a jersey at all ... i paid extra for delivery to home knowing that i couldn't come up to register/sign on in person and collect the numbers & Jersey etc ... so when the number was delivered to me it was minus the jersey ..just a note saying i can pick one up at sign on ..sort of defeats the object of paying for delivery ... anyway a minor point from an otherwise well organised event

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Check your email, the photos of the event are up and you get a selection based on your race number being identified by the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

http://www.finisherpix.com/events/single-view/great-dublin-bike-ride-2017.html

That's the link for anyone who didn't get an email, there's also a "Lost & Found" section for unassigned photos, there's a boardsie on the first page at the moment looking backwards. 1500 pages. Do I really want to look through them all? No. Will I? Probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Check your email, the photos of the event are up and you get a selection based on your race number being identified by the system.

About €7 to buy a single picture. I'll probably pass as in my photos I look like a warthog licking piss off a nettle.

I started paging through the images as none came up when I entered my number.

1494 pages at about 5 seconds per page is just over two hours of painful scrolling, only to have to cough up too much money if I find any of myself.

If there was a much quicker way to fly through the images I'd be inclined but 16 per page and tiny thumbnails makes for some agony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Only getting around to posting on this now. I had a ball on Sunday, did the 100k route and loved every minute of it. I was on my own but had some great chats along the way. It was my first time doing it but for a mass-participation event I thought it was very well organised.

Didn't spot any Boardsies at all apart from when I was just about to head off home I spotted this guy coming over the finish line.

429129.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Puts a very positive perspective on Club events like the Tour De Foothills where the photos are put up later the same day and they don't charge you €8 for the effort...

Didn't spot any Boardsies at all apart from when I was just about to head off home I spotted this guy coming over the finish line.

That’s me. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Puts a very positive perspective on Club events like the Tour De Foothills where the photos are put up later the same day and they don't charge you €8 for the effort...

If you do the Ring Of Kerry Cycle, the Killarney Camera Club take pictures of virtually everyone who crosses the finish line in Killarney. After a week or two you can download a picture of yourself if you know what time you finished (To the nearest 15 minutes) by entering your finish time. Only took me 5 minutes to find myself - and to download for free! These guys give their time and photos for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I used to do equestrian event photography but that site is useless if you don't have a bib number. Cant even increase the number of thumbnails per page to check quicker through them

€8 seems a bit excessive no? I'd not begrudge an enterprising individual a few quid and websites and hosting of data cost money but a bit steep imo.

Borderfox wrote: »
    I used to do equestrian event photography but that site is useless if you don't have a bib number. Cant even increase the number of thumbnails per page to check quicker through them

If they showed 50-100 photos per page things would be a lot easier. I browsed some with the footie on the tv in the background last night but found just one extra pic of me but have someone hiding me a bit, otherwise a good shot.
    I presume that’s you Doc on page 882 at the moment if you couldn’t be bothered flicking through the whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Part of my number was obscured by my out-front mount so the picture they emailed me was of a portly, fuzzy-haired lady on a hybrid with a similar bib number!

I tried trawling through the unattached pics but lost the will to live after a while. I agree, it would be better if you could select the number of thumbnails on the page. Next year I'll make sure to have my number more visible!

I emailed Finisher Pics support to see if any other option was available. Not possible unfortunately.

brianomc wrote: »
    http://www.finisherpix.com/events/single-view/great-dublin-bike-ride-2017.html

That's the link for anyone who didn't get an email, there's also a "Lost & Found" section for unassigned photos, there's a boardsie on the first page at the moment looking backwards. 1500 pages. Do I really want to look through them all? No. Will I? Probably.

Go out to the main link, ther's nearly 3500 pages. 'Only' 1500 in the Lost and Found section!!!!

Feedback survey for GDBR 2017 was emailed out today, make sure you fill it out to have things smoothed out for next year. Particularly that god awful tshirt.

Feedback .... Particularly that god awful tshirt.

Ahead of you! Awful thing - as I put it - a cyclist wouldn’t wear it

• Advertisement

conkennedy wrote: »
    Ahead of you! Awful thing - as I put it - a cyclist wouldn’t wear it

Exactly as I put it too. I still wear my 2016 jersey that was included in the event pack. While it's not quality, it's free advertising for the event whereas this year's tshirt is going to sit inside a drawer for eternity.

Advertisement