Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January 2018 Babies Club

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Yeah, he's delighted, we got a massive balloon and filled it with pink confetti so he found out by bursting the balloon. My scan re-do was supposed to be on Monday but it got cancelled because of the hurricane, so we just went and had a gender scan today because I couldn't wait anymore :pac: It was mad, they switched it on to 3D and she's the image of her big brother!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Guys I just saw this when I was on Amazon earlier - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0111AIZ68?colid=3OOPS537T9222&coliid=I356UNWI4RI2NN&ref=br_ADD_TO_CART_title_link

It's the huggies pure wipes, and it's a box of 18 packs of wipes for £10. Seemed pretty cheap, probably a bit early for me to be buying them yet, but I'll be adding it to my bookmarks for when the time comes :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Toots wrote: »
    Yeah, he's delighted, we got a massive balloon and filled it with pink confetti so he found out by bursting the balloon. My scan re-do was supposed to be on Monday but it got cancelled because of the hurricane, so we just went and had a gender scan today because I couldn't wait anymore :pac: It was mad, they switched it on to 3D and she's the image of her big brother!

That's very cute. Typical. Have they rescheduled? Glad ye got the scan and you're happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Omr78

Morning everyone, hope everyone's pregnancy is going smoothly
    Is anyone experiencing back pain, since last Friday I feel like I have a ball of fire on my mid back on the right side, I've done a bit of googling and they seem to put it down to ribs expanding
    My fiancé bought me the lumbamom maternity belt from mothercare but I am finding absolutely zero relief and went to bed crying with the pain one night
    I seem to be experiencing every pregnancy symptom going with the exception of heartburn
    This is our first baby and we waited a long time and went through fertility treatment to get here so while I am overjoyed I also don't think I can go on with this pain for another 3 months
    I have a desk job and an unsympathetic doctor too 😂 any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks all

That's very cute. Typical. Have they rescheduled? Glad ye got the scan and you're happy.

Yeah I'm in next Wednesday for the rescheduled appointment, so at least it's not too long to wait. Hopefully she behaves herself and let's them get the measurements they need.

Omr78, have you looked at getting a private physio appointment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Omr78

Thanks I have a couple of reflexology sessions left over from before I was pregnant which I'm going to make an appointment for but will look at a physio too
    At this point I'll try anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Omr78 wrote: »
    Morning everyone, hope everyone's pregnancy is going smoothly
    Is anyone experiencing back pain, since last Friday I feel like I have a ball of fire on my mid back on the right side, I've done a bit of googling and they seem to put it down to ribs expanding
    My fiancought me the lumbamom maternity belt from mothercare but I am finding absolutely zero relief and went to bed crying with the pain one night
    I seem to be experiencing every pregnancy symptom going with the exception of heartburn
    This is our first baby and we waited a long time and went through fertility treatment to get here so while I am overjoyed I also don't think I can go on with this pain for another 3 months
    I have a desk job and an unsympathetic doctor too �� any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks all

I was in agony at work last week with the back pain-this is my third and it felt as bad as back labour pain (only that doesn't last as long!). I found walking around the office helped and I ordered a new desk chair from The Back Shop in Dublin, thanks boss:pac:. I keep meaning to do some yoga in the evenings to see would that help but getting the time to do it is almost impossible and I'm wrecked come 8pm! I'm only 6 months along now but feel like I'm going into the final weeks with all my ailments...........heartburn and sore when walking too!

Thanks I have a couple of reflexology sessions left over from before I was pregnant which I'm going to make an appointment for but will look at a physio too

You know those Tubigrip bandages that they give you when you sprain your ankle? The white stretchy ones? You can get those for your body too - my physio gave me one and I ordered extra online. Basically I wear it so that it goes from under the bump up as far as my bra, so it covers the bump. Helps give you a bit of extra support for your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

I find using the gym/fit balls are helpful. I'm gettin pelvic pain and pain in my back but the pain in my back is down the two sides and not the middle - so strange.

I'm an office worker too but I find when i come home and sit on the gym ball, do a few pelvic floor exercises it helps.

Its worth a try - plus these balls are great (apparently) when you start getting contractions to bounce on them. I'm expecting my first too so all new to me :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

I'm absolutely crippled with the back pain too and covering in an office for 2 weeks, I just feel like crying! This baby feels huge, it's starting to put so much pressure on my stomach and ribs. Right now it's all across the middle of my back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Everyone with back pain should go see an osteopath :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Everyone with back pain should go see an osteopath :)
    Totally agree. I was seeing mine for other issues but he's amazing. I've had spd since week 19 and it's mostly gone now. He's amazing. Defo act sooner. He actually says the gym balls aren't good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Back neck pain and headaches. Gets awful sitting at my desk but I have a little couch next to my desk that helps. Went to acupuncture last Friday that helped..booked in tomorrow as well

I'm probably jinxing myself, but so far I've only had mild back pain this time round. When I compare it to this stage of my first pregnancy and between the SPD and the back pain I was hobbling around like a 90 year old. I'm absolutely convinced it's because I don't have to sit on those crappy bank chairs anymore.

I'm probably jinxing myself, but so far I've only had mild back pain this time round. When I compare it to this stage of my first pregnancy and between the SPD and the back pain I was hobbling around like a 90 year old. I'm absolutely convinced it's because I don't have to sit on those crappy bank chairs anymore.

Yeah those crap office chairs are a big problem. Just got the boss to order me a proper comfort chair today

I spent the evening going through all the baby clothes that we had put up in my parents' attic when my little boy grew out of them. I sorted them into unisex ones that will work for when our little girl is born, and kept those out, then packed the boy ones back up and put them away. We'll probably only need to buy one or two babygros for when she's in the newborn stage because most of the ones we have are white or cream. One thing I discovered is we have hundreds of those little vest/onesie things. I don't know how we ended up with so many! Could be having triplets and we'd still be grand for vests :pac:

Has anyone started noticing braxton hicks yet? I started getting them around week 25 last time round, and while I did notice them, it was more just a tight sensation I felt, rather than discomfort. This time around they're actually pretty uncomfortable. I wonder if it depends on what position the baby is in or something?

Has anyone started noticing braxton hicks yet? I started getting them around week 25 last time round, and while I did notice them, it was more just a tight sensation I felt, rather than discomfort. This time around they're actually pretty uncomfortable. I wonder if it depends on what position the baby is in or something?

None of that yet thankfully!
    I'm due to attend antenatal clinic in hospital for a check up Monday, but have a rancid head cold that I really don't want to pass on... probably best to reschedule if I'm still dodgy Monday?

Probably better to give them a ring and check. I know on all my appointment letters there's a bit on the bottom that says if you are experiencing flu-like symptoms please call to reschedule your appointment, and attend your GP if necessary for the symptoms.

Probably better to give them a ring and check. I know on all my appointment letters there's a bit on the bottom that says if you are experiencing flu-like symptoms please call to reschedule your appointment, and attend your GP if necessary for the symptoms.

Thanks toots will do ☺️

• Advertisement

Hopefully you'll be feeling better soon. I wonder is there a non-alcoholic version of a hot whiskey that can be safely consumed by preggos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hot lemon and honey, maybe add some cloves anyway?

And a cinnamon stick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

I am in the December thread and have been getting them since around wk 30 (am 32+5 now) they arent sore just sometimes notice that my bump gets really tight and hard and then relaxes again. Its really weird.

lashes34 wrote: »
    I am in the December thread and have been getting them since around wk 30 (am 32+5 now) they arent sore just sometimes notice that my bump gets really tight and hard and then relaxes again. Its really weird.

That was the way they felt first time around for me. I barely noticed them a lot of the time, although a midwife told me apparently you get them the whole way through, it's just in the later stages that you notice them!

lashes34 wrote: »

Ya I'm 28 weeks and got first one two weeks ago it was so wired I didn't know what it was but I only got it in bed so I sat up and I could literally feel the tightness like as if the bump was expanding, cramp lasted about half an hour too

I get that too, I get really thight and so much pressure. Going to start getting my hospital bag ready and buy baby stuff next week!

We bought a few little girly babygros the other day, or rather my parents bought them for us. It was difficult to find things that weren't too in-your-face-pink, but found a couple of nice little sets in Boots. We didn't order a whole lot because we've got a lot of white and cream newborn stuff from the first time around and if memory serves, my little boy was out of newborn size and into 0-3 months by the time he was 3 weeks old.

Trying to keep an eye out for a nightie for labour - very hard to see anything that has buttons down the front though. I might buy a massive shirt and just use that if I can't find a nightie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Toots Heatons had some with buttons down them, couldn't find any in my size on their online shop though. I actually ended up getting two from sportsdirect for €7 each.

• Advertisement

There's a heatons near me, so I'll check it out! The only other place I'd seen one was online on Oxendales, but it had long sleeves, so I'd have had to cut them and hem them into short sleeves.

Next challenge will be the nursing bras!

My re-do of the 20 week scan is today. I'm really nervous about it for some reason. The hubby couldn't get time off work so I've to go on my own and I'm worried they'll tell me something is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

My re-do of the 20 week scan is today. I'm really nervous about it for some reason. The hubby couldn't get time off work so I've to go on my own and I'm worried they'll tell me something is wrong.

Awe best of luck Toots, I was a bag of nerves too-fingers crossed all is well and you've nothing to worry about.

We bought a few little girly babygros the other day, or rather my parents bought them for us. It was difficult to find things that weren't too in-your-face-pink, but found a couple of nice little sets in Boots. We didn't order a whole lot because we've got a lot of white and cream newborn stuff from the first time around and if memory serves, my little boy was out of newborn size and into 0-3 months by the time he was 3 weeks old.

Trying to keep an eye out for a nightie for labour - very hard to see anything that has buttons down the front though. I might buy a massive shirt and just use that if I can't find a nightie.

Dunnes had them - well i got one two weeks ago - it was a navy colour, buttons down the front. Think it was around 12e

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭figrolls

Picked one up in tesco yesterday for €12, its enough to be paying for something I'm never going to want to see again!!!

I'm starting to wonder about pyjamas if I end up having a section. I wore a nightdress for the first 24 hours on my first as I had a catheter for that time after my tear! I got a navy one in dunnes the last time, was in the hospital gown for labour so no destroyed pyjamas!

• Advertisement

Baby seemed to behave herself for the scan this time, so they got what they wanted. All was normal but the sonographer mentioned that she's in the 75th centile for weight and wanted to know had I had my glucose test yet. Is 75th centile too big? Crapping it now...

How big was your first baby? Do you get a glucose test? I wouldn't worry there's loads of time left yet

My first baby was 8lbs 2oz, I think in kilos he was about 3.6

My glucose test is the week after next, I'm dreading it. I don't know how I'd cope with all the extra bloods if I do have GD.

My first was 8lbs 8. I've my glucose test the 8th. If I had gd I'd say I'd probably starve, I'm fussy enough as it is! I was constantly being told I was having a big baby and not to buy newborn clothes, and that was by midwives, I think at my 31 week scan my baby was a good bit over 4 pounds, my nephew was born 2lbs 15oz!

TBH, my appetite has gone down so much I reckon I'd be grand on the strict diet, it's just the needles that scare the bejesus out of me. And also the fear of risk to the baby. I've my 28 week appointment the day before the test, and I bet my blood pressure will be sky high from the fear :o

She said my baby was about 1kg now (26 weeks) and then she asked what weight I was at birth, but I was 4 weeks early, so I don't think it counts :pac: I was something like 5lbs. My very petite cousin had an 11lb baby and she's due her second soon and they're thinking of inducing her because this baby looks big too. She didn't have GD or anything, apparently big babies run in her mum's side of the family.

8lb8 isn't enormous though, I'd have thought anything in and around the 7/8lb mark was about average? Was your nephew full term at 2lb 15???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,860 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

On Monday its only 9 weeks to go for us, its getting so exciting and very real , Baby due on the 1st so not sure what year they'll be born in yet :)

On Monday its only 9 weeks to go for us, its getting so exciting and very real , Baby due on the 1st so not sure what year they'll be born in yet :)

You could be one of those people on the news whose baby is born at a couple of seconds past midnight!

When she was 8lbs 8 I thought that was a great size, not too bad and not too small. My nephew was born at around 29 weeks or so. I've another 4 weeks to wait until my next scan to see this baby. I def can't eat half as much on this pregnancy as I did the last one. I have my antenatal check up the same day as the glucose test and I'm praying that bcos I'll be in an hour earlier than the clinic starts that I'll be nice and relaxed and called early so as hopefully my blood pressure won't be up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,860 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

You could be one of those people on the news whose baby is born at a couple of seconds past midnight!
    Very possible but I doubt it :)

When she was 8lbs 8 I thought that was a great size, not too bad and not too small. My nephew was born at around 29 weeks or so. I've another 4 weeks to wait until my next scan to see this baby. I def can't eat half as much on this pregnancy as I did the last one. I have my antenatal check up the same day as the glucose test and I'm praying that bcos I'll be in an hour earlier than the clinic starts that I'll be nice and relaxed and called early so as hopefully my blood pressure won't be up
    God, he was a decent enough weight for 29 weeks! Was your little girl on time or overdue? My son was 1 week over. I suppose it'll be handy to get the two appointments out of the way on the same day. I was meant to have my anaesthetic clinic appointment on the same day as my glucose test but I've had to reschedule it - I wouldn't be able for another appointment the same day, plus the glucose test should be all done by about 10.30/11 and the other appointment wasn't until 2pm so I didn't fancy hanging around for 3+ hours.
    Very possible but I doubt it :)

The baby will probably arrive in the middle of Christmas dinner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

God, he was a decent enough weight for 29 weeks! Was your little girl on time or overdue? My son was 1 week over. I suppose it'll be handy to get the two appointments out of the way on the same day. I was meant to have my anaesthetic clinic appointment on the same day as my glucose test but I've had to reschedule it - I wouldn't be able for another appointment the same day, plus the glucose test should be all done by about 10.30/11 and the other appointment wasn't until 2pm so I didn't fancy hanging around for 3+ hours.

The baby will probably arrive in the middle of Christmas dinner!

For your glucose test ladies were you told to fast from 10p.m. the night before including no water? TBH I'm not able for this as have a pretty full schedule at the moment. Am thinking of just monitoring my own sugar levels with those strips from the chemist. Have no risk factors as such

jadie wrote: »
    For your glucose test ladies were you told to fast from 10p.m. the night before including no water? TBH I'm not able for this as have a pretty full schedule at the moment. Am thinking of just monitoring my own sugar levels with those strips from the chemist. Have no risk factors as such

I was told to fast from 8pm the previous evening and completely nil by mouth including water. I was freaking out about this because aside from the obvious discomfort of not being able drink water for 12 hours, I was worried I'd be dehydrated and they'd have trouble getting a vein.

I spoke to my GP about it (may have cried a bit) and he said that drinking water is fine, providing you're not hoovering up litres and litres of it and that it's water only (no tea/coffee/juice/milk) He did mention to me that if I'm asked have I had anything to eat or drink before I do the test, just don't mention that I drank water. He said some midwives will be grand with you drinking it, but you might get one that tells you you have to come back another day. It's just a pity they don't make preggo vallium that I could take before the bloods.

jadie did they tell you that you had to have a Glucose Tolerance Test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Toots, I was worried they would have trouble getting a vein when I did my GTT as well because I have tiny veins. I went nil by mouth from 10pm and they had no problems at all with my veins. I know you're totally phobic about the whole think so hope that helps a bit!

bee06 wrote: »
    Toots, I was worried they would have trouble getting a vein when I did my GTT as well because I have tiny veins. I went nil by mouth from 10pm and they had no problems at all with my veins. I know you're totally phobic about the whole think so hope that helps a bit!

Thank you! I'm usually told I've got great veins (which is more gross than reassuring :pac:) but it would be just my luck they'd have trouble. I'll feel less anxious knowing I can at least have some water, even if it's a total placebo effect :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

I was told to fast from 8pm the previous evening and completely nil by mouth including water. I was freaking out about this because aside from the obvious discomfort of not being able drink water for 12 hours, I was worried I'd be dehydrated and they'd have trouble getting a vein.

I spoke to my GP about it (may have cried a bit) and he said that drinking water is fine, providing you're not hoovering up litres and litres of it and that it's water only (no tea/coffee/juice/milk) He did mention to me that if I'm asked have I had anything to eat or drink before I do the test, just don't mention that I drank water. He said some midwives will be grand with you drinking it, but you might get one that tells you you have to come back another day. It's just a pity they don't make preggo vallium that I could take before the bloods.

jadie did they tell you that you had to have a Glucose Tolerance Test?

The midwife suggested it and asked would I go for one. I didn't realise what it entailed until I read the AIMs website.

• Advertisement
Advertisement