Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2018 Babies Club

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Farmer's wife, let MIL or husband do any lifting of the 2 year old.Otherwise let him fend for himself, climb stairs by himself with you behind him etc.Mine were both natural but with a 21 mth gap and I still couldn"t do any lifting for a few weeks after.Bedtime is hardest, and I found morning tough for the first few weeks.But make sure you have help at bedtime.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

shesty wrote: »
    Farmer's wife, let MIL or husband do any lifting of the 2 year old.Otherwise let him fend for himself, climb stairs by himself with you behind him etc.Mine were both natural but with a 21 mth gap and I still couldn"t do any lifting for a few weeks after.Bedtime is hardest, and I found morning tough for the first few weeks.But make sure you have help at bedtime.

Good luck!
    She's really good for doing most by herself and will climb into the cot herself, just won't climb out of the cot. I suppose we never really know beforehand how other kids will react to a new baby.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yeah, the bath and cot and the nappy changing are the struggle!
    It just takes time and you really have to give them that because it's such a huge change.Kind of figure it out as you go along.:eek:

Yeah, the bath and cot and the nappy changing are the struggle!
    It just takes time and you really have to give them that because it's such a huge change.Kind of figure it out as you go along.:eek:

The two most basics things I really hadn't thought of were cot and nappy change and she's a disaster for getting her nappy changed! Thanks, I'd never have thought of them!

Well I have no solutions for making the nappy change any easier, sorry!!!Having daily wrestling matches with my second (21 mths) over it as it stands!!
    But sure concentrate on getting baba out first and the other stuff will fall into place over time :-)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Home from hospital - it wasn't pee but it also wasn't my waters either. They reckon it's a large amount of water like discharge, but I've to keep an eye on it and if I feel there's still a lot coming out then go back in.

Exhausted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

Im 1cm dilated according to the gyny today so he has me in for getting induced next Tuesday. Ill be 39+3days at that stage so very close to my due date.

At least ive come on 1cm since last week when he said i just hadnt moved at all.

Glad the end is near although not sure what to expect with being induced!

That's great toots, at least you're home and in the clear.

I was 1cm when I had my sweep done at 39 weeks on my first baby, it was good to be at that stage. My best advice on being induced is take each step as it comes. It's all down to how you cope. In my own opinion and experience it wasn't as bad as some of the stories I heard. Just take it handy for the few days and get rest and sleep :)
    If you have any questions about being induced just ask away!

That's great toots, at least you're home and in the clear.

I was 1cm when I had my sweep done at 39 weeks on my first baby, it was good to be at that stage. My best advice on being induced is take each step as it comes. It's all down to how you cope. In my own opinion and experience it wasn't as bad as some of the stories I heard. Just take it handy for the few days and get rest and sleep :)
    If you have any questions about being induced just ask away!

Hes not going to do a sweep on me i dont think. Hes starting off with the gel anyway if that works the waters will break themselves ya?. By next week im hopin ill be dilated a bit more fingers crossed. Id reckon ill go for an epi given that im being induced , i think i remember u saying u didnt get epi ur last time no?

Are partners usually sent home the day the inducing happens or are they allowed stay

donkey10 wrote: »
    Hes not going to do a sweep on me i dont think. Hes starting off with the gel anyway if that works the waters will break themselves ya?. By next week im hopin ill be dilated a bit more fingers crossed. Id reckon ill go for an epi given that im being induced , i think i remember u saying u didnt get epi ur last time no?

Are partners usually sent home the day the inducing happens or are they allowed stay

I had the gel around 11pm so the cramping started then a few hours later, they checked me at 8am and said I was ready to have my waters broken, had waters broken at 1.15 and onto the drip, contractions started very quick, there's different levels on the drip but I could only tolerate the lowest, she was born at 4.01 so very quick, it was very intense and I'd def have taken the epidural only I was just a few mins away from pushing!

My husband was there all day once they said they were going to break my waters. I had to be in between 3 and 5 on the Sunday and he was with me until about 10.30 then back the following morning

• Advertisement

I had the gel around 11pm so the cramping started then a few hours later, they checked me at 8am and said I was ready to have my waters broken, had waters broken at 1.15 and onto the drip, contractions started very quick, there's different levels on the drip but I could only tolerate the lowest, she was born at 4.01 so very quick, it was very intense and I'd def have taken the epidural only I was just a few mins away from pushing!

My husband was there all day once they said they were going to break my waters. I had to be in between 3 and 5 on the Sunday and he was with me until about 10.30 then back the following morning

That was quick and u were 1cm when u were given the gel? Im in for 3.30 pm tuesday so they prob wont do the gel straight away anyway. Theyll prob send him home so that night. I thought they would allow him stay the whole time.
    Were you able to sleep from the time the cramping started before you had your waters broken?
    How do you mean theres different levels on the drip?sorry for all the questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lmc106

2 weeks left for me, I genuinely can’t believe it! I have my bags packed and we’ve put together the Next2Me sleeper, but I feel like I must be missing something major. Car seat, pram, nappies and wipes, babygros and vests... what else is a must have? I feel so overwhelmed!

I’m hoping to breastfeed exclusively but should I get a pump and bottles anyway? I think from what I’ve read I can’t really pump until 6 weeks anyway so it can wait for now correct?

I’m terrified of labor but I’ve actually been fairly calm the closer it gets. We’ll see how I feel when it’s time to shine though 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭figrolls

lmc106 wrote: »
    2 weeks left for me, I genuinely can’t believe it! I have my bags packed and we’ve put together the Next2Me sleeper, but I feel like I must be missing something major. Car seat, pram, nappies and wipes, babygros and vests... what else is a must have? I feel so overwhelmed!

I’m hoping to breastfeed exclusively but should I get a pump and bottles anyway? I think from what I’ve read I can’t really pump until 6 weeks anyway so it can wait for now correct?

I’m terrified of labor but I’ve actually been fairly calm the closer it gets. We’ll see how I feel when it’s time to shine though 😬

I wouldn’t worry about a pump just yet, just see how the feeding goes, they can be picked up fairly easily or online even when you decide you want one.

I’d get some nipple cream and pads though, even though I was only able to feed for 5 days the cream was invaluable and I destroyed all my pjs in the hospital with leaky boobs!

Best of luck!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

figrolls wrote: »
    I wouldn’t worry about a pump just yet, just see how the feeding goes, they can be picked up fairly easily or online even when you decide you want one.

I’d get some nipple cream and pads though, even though I was only able to feed for 5 days the cream was invaluable and I destroyed all my pjs in the hospital with leaky boobs!

Best of luck!!

Lasinoh cream and multi mam compresses are invaluable in the early weeks of breastfeeding, so definite get some in advance. You may also want to pick up some nipple shields... not every lactation consultant is a fan of them, but they can help get you through a few of the feeds when your nipples are really sore.

I also recommend stocking up on neurofen for stitches and sore nipples, and witch hazel gel - it’s amazing on a pad for down below.

Good luck with it! The early weeks are tough but I can’t even express how amazing it is when you’ve seen it through.

Have u got crib sheets for the next to me? I got one of them too rather than a moses basket im hoping to get a bit longer out of them.have u the cellular blankets?

During our classes the midwife recommended no.2 MAM nipple shields and not no.1 as no.1 would be a little tight.

That was quick and u were 1cm when u were given the gel? Im in for 3.30 pm tuesday so they prob wont do the gel straight away anyway. Theyll prob send him home so that night. I thought they would allow him stay the whole time.
    Were you able to sleep from the time the cramping started before you had your waters broken?
    How do you mean theres different levels on the drip?sorry for all the questions!

Yeah I was 1cm already even when I got the sweep. I think sometimes they can wait until the next day to give the gel but my blood pressure was up so I got it that night.
    I'd probably have slept only some woman was snoring something like I'd never heard before so it kept the ward awake all night. The cramps got worse around 10 o clock in the morning and I had paracetamol, may as well have had smarties but they asked did I want pethadine I was called to have my waters broken then.
    The syntocin drip has different levels, I only had level 6 which was the lowest, I presume it's something to do with dosage. They put me up to 12 which was the next level but had to put it back to 6, I wasn't able for it.

Baby has gone from breech to into position but my blood pressure was up, barely made it out of the hospital, the doctor was contemplating keeping me but into gp tomorrow to have bp checked and back to hospital next weds. Possibly do a sweep

Have u got crib sheets for the next to me? I got one of them too rather than a moses basket im hoping to get a bit longer out of them.have u the cellular blankets?

I have a next2me crib but never bought the sheets to go with it, they were a crazy price and other sheets fit it

Yeah I was 1cm already even when I got the sweep. I think sometimes they can wait until the next day to give the gel but my blood pressure was up so I got it that night.
    I'd probably have slept only some woman was snoring something like I'd never heard before so it kept the ward awake all night. The cramps got worse around 10 o clock in the morning and I had paracetamol, may as well have had smarties but they asked did I want pethadine I was called to have my waters broken then.
    The syntocin drip has different levels, I only had level 6 which was the lowest, I presume it's something to do with dosage. They put me up to 12 which was the next level but had to put it back to 6, I wasn't able for it.

Baby has gone from breech to into position but my blood pressure was up, barely made it out of the hospital, the doctor was contemplating keeping me but into gp tomorrow to have bp checked and back to hospital next weds. Possibly do a sweep

Nothing worse than someone snoring maybe i should pack the ear plugs!!
    Who decides the dosage of the drip? Does that depend on how much u want? How did that affect you?

Thats great the baby has turned it will hardly move now. Good to keep the BP monitored anyway and if ur having a sweep next week baby could be out sooner than later!

During our classes the midwife recommended no.2 MAM nipple shields and not no.1 as no.1 would be a little tight.

I got two sets of sheets from Amazon that were not badly priced from a different seller. Is two enough? I don’t have cellular blankets I’ll have a look for those!

I got two sets of sheets from Amazon that were not badly priced from a different seller. Is two enough? I don’t have cellular blankets I’ll have a look for those!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭figrolls

We got the next to me aswell and a handy tip that the nursery nurse in the hospital gave us was to tuck a muslin cloth around the mattress at the part the baby’s mouth would be at (a penny’s muslin fits from the bottom of the mattress right up to above our babies head) and this way if they spot up etc you only need to change the muslin

Saves you changing sheets as often

Also, make sure it’s very tightly tucked to avoid baby pulling it loose

I only have 2 for the moment also - got neutral colours as i want to get coloured ones once they are born. I got them all in mothercare , possibly may be more exp there but i didnt have the energy to be looking other places i think dunnes do them too

figrolls wrote: »
    We got the next to me aswell and a handy tip that the nursery nurse in the hospital gave us was to tuck a muslin cloth around the mattress at the part the baby’s mouth would be at (a penny’s muslin fits from the bottom of the mattress right up to above our babies head) and this way if they spot up etc you only need to change the muslin

Saves you changing sheets as often

Also, make sure it’s very tightly tucked to avoid baby pulling it loose

Great tip, even a pillow case would save the sheets also!

I got a new next2me mattress for this baby, our one for the first had a line down the middle, think it wasn't supposed to be there. I must check out what sheets have. I think I've just plain flat sheets. My first was so bad for kicking off the blanket as a small baby, as soon as she was big enough she went into a gro bag and only stopped using one a few months ago, best invention ever!

I'm absolutely shattered this evening, cannot wait for bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Great tip, even a pillow case would save the sheets also!

I use the large Aldi muslins for this. Covers the whole crib.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

God that muslin square tip was a godsend! I remember going through all 7 moses basket sheets I had in the one night when my son was tiny, and was worried I wouldn't have them washed and dried in time for the following night - PHN told me about the muslin square and I nearly kissed her :o

I discovered (way too late) last time that IKEA do massive muslin squares too, 2 in a pack:)

I discovered (way too late) last time that IKEA do massive muslin squares too, 2 in a pack:)

I just checked online and they're out of stock at the momen , thought it'd be handy now that they deliver!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Popping in from the Dec thread!! Best of luck to all ye ladies... It is so special...

Just saw about the nipple protection, as a first time mum I would say go get the mam sachets you keep in the fridge (have these in the hospital bag also) and some moo goo udder cream.. And that will be all ye need. The Mam things are great to relieve any cracked nipples and soreness and the moo goo is just wonder cream. When your nipples are kinda giving out or get very pert pop some on and it eases them.. Might stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Milly33 wrote: »
    Popping in from the Dec thread!! Best of luck to all ye ladies... It is so special...

Just saw about the nipple protection, as a first time mum I would say go get the mam sachets you keep in the fridge (have these in the hospital bag also) and some moo goo udder cream.. And that will be all ye need. The Mam things are great to relieve any cracked nipples and soreness and the moo goo is just wonder cream. When your nipples are kinda giving out or get very pert pop some on and it eases them.. Might stuff
    Milly are these the multi mam compresses? I have mothercare nipple cream, is that any good?

Advertisement