Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2018 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Congrats to you Donkey10 Hope ye are both resting now

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

Congrats donkey, that's fantastic. You're probably exhausted now. Rest up and enjoy every minute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

Hey folks, so said id do an update in case i forgot :-)
    Im a ftm now so i was oblivious to all that could happen for labour, induction etc.
    So my gyny was a bit consious all along and said he might induce early to avoid section.
    Thought first this would happen 2 weeks before my due date 20th jan but was checked that week and wasnt ripe.

Went back the next week and he said hed schedule me for following week i.e tue this week (4 days shy of due date)

Was induced with the gel 10pm tue night - felt a bit wierd after an hour or so could feel a very slight sting off it. After another hour started cramps. Could not sleep at all. Cramping sore but bearable.

Got checked at 7.30 with tracing machine, thought baby was going xtra movement. Then doc came did another internal said i wasnt ripe and would need another gel.
    Had another midwife do the tracing. Was gettkn contractions for an hour at this stage. Next thing they said they were bringin me to labour ward and didnt need extra gel. Waters broke by gyny at 9am. OmG so uncomfortable!!!! Tried gas for that was ok when breathing but once i came off it got so dizzy.

Steady contractions till maybe 1pm, was able deal with them well. found standing up much essier than lying down. Checked again and barely 1cm. Feed the drip lastest about 1.5 hours on that before measurements increaded was checked and only 1cm. I figured it wss gona be a long one so i got epidural. All good with that. On and on all wednesday evening. Great pain blocker.

Gyny said if i hadnt budged by 5/6pm would consider section as contractions quite strong and baby coping really well.

Then came that time and he said oh theres hope but stil at 2. Went on like this for a while. I was wrecked at this stage coz didnt sleep night before at all. Kept going till 12 at night said wed be headin for section as only at 4cm. I couldnt understand and neither could midwives at this stage drip was on the highest volume and again baby coping really well. At 2.50am he said wer ready to roll but will be doing a suction delivery.

Was grand pushing but hard to push with epi as no feeling. Midwife brill at showin how to breath etc. Had episitomy again didnt feel stitches being done due to epi.Baby born at 3.08am

For all those ftm out there , yes its nervewracking and scary but in the ens its not as bad. Unfortunatelt for me i just didnt dilate quick, some people are lucky and induction works a wonder but clearly baby didnt want to come out for me too soon. So happy i didnt get a section in the end. Physically still exhausted but thats to be expected.

More than happy for any questions i knoe i was asking a million and one ques before i went in amd as i wemt along which i think is brill to be informed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

Quick question for the experienced mammies! I'm paranoid about overdressing our baby during the day when indoors. House is quite warm, as in an adult would be fine in a hoodie and PJs.

For her, we've been dressing her in a vest, baby grow, then small cellular blanket and a heavier one. I've been feeling her neck, face and hands to make sure she's not sweaty or too cold but she seems fine. Is two blankets overkill? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Congrats donkey! I’m not surprised you are tired that’s a long labour! But it’s over now and once you have the baby safely in your arms it means everything!

In relation to clothes we have vest babygro and one cellular blanket! Our sitting room is set for 22 degrees and our bedroom 19 degrees! So a second cellular blanket in the bedroom at night! I haven’t a clue but seems to be working for us!! Hard to know! Weather def doesn’t help as it’s so cold and hard to get out.. can you bring babies out in the wet? I haven’t a clue!

• Advertisement

I have a groegg room thermometer and I found it great, this is the recommendations that came with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Feel baby's back when wondering if they too hot too cold. Hands, feet and face will always be a little bit colder.
    And definitely a hat at night time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

heldel00 wrote: »
    Feel baby's back when wondering if they too hot too cold. Hands, feet and face will always be a little bit colder.
    And definitely a hat at night time too.

Never used a hat at night on any of our kids. It’s certainly not a definite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

We were told not to put a hat on as babies regulate their temp through their head and a hat can lead to overheating.

Most hospitals don't put hats on newborns any more either. I'll def use a gro bag once baby is the recommended weight.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I never had that issue with my son because all the hats we had were too small for him when he was born :pac: It didn't matter though because he had so much hair he may as well have had a hat. I've stuck a hat in the labour bag for my little girl when she's born, but if she's anything like her brother it probably won't fit her. We've been told she's got loads of hair too - so much that they can see it on the 2D scans!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

No hats unless they are sleeping outside.
    Paediatrician discharging me in hospital told me last time they don't need a hat after the first day or two, and definitely not indoors.

When i say hat i mean a little cotton one not a big woolly thing. Hat was recommended by PHN and my mam, two women I have great faith in.
    But each to their own ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

're the hat situation it will depend on the baby, e.g. my second baby was 3 weeks early and just 5lbs but was allowed home at 2 days as she was fine just very small.
    I was advised to keep a hat on her at all times as she was small (and it was Xmas so very cold) so she would find it hard to retain her own body heat.
    Keeping a hat on her meant she wouldn't lose her own heat so easily.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Has anyone been for a sweep that put them into labour? I'm being offered one next week and want to take it cos I'm keen to get things moving. Only thing that's concerning me is I have to go on my own - hubby can't get the time off work - and I'm a bit concerned about my waters breaking in the car on the way home :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Hey Toots, I'm due for one this Wednesday in the Rotunda. I'll be 39+3days then. I had a sweep on my last daughter at 39+5 and she was born just under 24 hours later. Had no symptoms after the sweep and just mild cramping that evening. Got to the hospital at 1.30pm the next day and she was born at 2.01pm. Wondering will Wednesday bring on the same:)

Same as me so! Was the sweep painful?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Had a sweep on no.2 at 41 weeks, nothing doing til a week later-despite four previous weeks of cramps, contractions etc.
    Found it very uncomfortable.But I was desperate......!

What day are you due yours?

It's uncomfortable but it's only for less than 10 seconds or not even. A good rummage :eek:
    Relax, close your eyes and imagine you're a million miles away-that's what I'll be doing:P

I'm due my sweep on Wednesday, same as you! Baby due on Sunday, dying for labour to start, I'm enormous and quite uncomfortable at this stage.

• Advertisement

Toots wrote: »
    I'm due my sweep on Wednesday, same as you! Baby due on Sunday, dying for labour to start, I'm enormous and quite uncomfortable at this stage.

Oh wow I might see you in there-I'm in the semi private clinic also. I think I'm in around 9am. I'm due this Saturday and very uncomfortable and fed up now!

I'm not in til 2pm, really hoping the sweep gets things moving if it hasn't happened already before then! I might stick a towel in the car to sit on for the drive home, just in case :pac:

Have you far to go? Bring your hospital bags in the car just incase!!I'll let you know how I get on-if nothing happens before that. The Dr said she didn't expect me to make that appointment as she suspected the baby would come before that but no budging at all yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I had a sweep at 40+3 and was already 1cm dialated before the sweep and the midwife was convinced I’d go into labour within 48 hours. I ended up being induced a week later. I didn’t feel the sweep at all, I assume because I was already dialated and my cervix was very soft.

The stats around sweeps are that 1 in 8 will go into labour within 48 hours of the sweep and 24% will go into labour naturally after it.

I had a sweep on weds, nothing happening, cramps for a few days but nothing consistent. Had a sweep on my first and nothing budged either. I'm being induced weds and every time I think about it I just get so nervous. I was induced on my first too!

I'm out near Stepaside so about 45 mins drive in without traffic. I've the suitcase is the boot of the hubby's car and then the bag for the labour in the apartment ready to grab if it starts when he's in work. He works out near the airport so it would be quicker in that case for my Mum or Dad to drive me in and him meet me there.

I wasn't expected to make my appointment this week but it'll be just my luck she'll be as punctual as her brother who was a full week over. Feeling very very crampy tonight, kinda periody feeling but of course that could be nothing. I'm not going to get my hopes up!

They will often just offer a sweep when you are in on a check up as in "sure we might as well while you're here!!", so i wouldn't worry about anything happening too quickly after.
    Really hope things start moving for you ladies. Technically if i had been let go over my little doll wouldn't be here until tomorrow. I think i would have gone out of my mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Hey ladies, I've been lurking here for months and just wanted to pop back with baby news. I was due on 20th January but my waters broke on the 3rd and baby was born on the 4th! I had always said she'd come early but no one believed me!!

She was 6lb 13oz and now more than two weeks later she's already put on a pound in weight. We named her Hazel and she's got little strawberry blonde curls like her mammy. We're over the moon. Good luck to you girls waiting on the baby's arrival, it's all worth it in the end!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Congratulations homemadecider :)

• Advertisement

Tomorrow is induction day for me, I've been through induction but not last time I was in the night before, this is my second so it's the morning. Hard to know if I'm nervous or excited, not excited to have to push a baby out or go thru the labour excited to meet this little boy or girl!!

Advertisement