Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2018 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

Toots are you breast or bottle feeding? I'm a believer in fennel tea for wind! Fingers crossed it's only wind and not colic.

That sounds like an awful pain in your shoulder. I can't imagine how painful it must be if all those painkillers aren't taking the pain away. If it's viral there's probably no point in suggesting an osteopath.
    My little man went from 3.9kg to 4.3kg in 11 days and is def going thru a growth spurt the last few days, drinking 5oz and sleeping like he's never slept before.
    I have to say despite this being my second baby, I'm def feeling she loneliness big time this time.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm breast feeding but she gets a bottle of formula for the night feed that my hubby does. I actually ordered fennel tea the other day so hopefully that'll help. She's farting away today so hopefully that's clearing some of it. We registered her birth today :)

This is the fennel tea we use, I only leave it in the cup for 2 mins then 2oz in a bottle and water it down with another 2oz. It's about finding the right strength for your own child. My little man is def more settled after fennel tea.
    I had realised about getting the children's allowance for Feb in March so we got a letter the other day saying we get €420 in March as we have 2 kids and then Feb payment for the new baby, was delighted. Have applied for the gp card for him too

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

That looks like the one I ordered. I must give it a go and see how she gets on with it. She hasn't pooped today, I think she's constipated :( She's feeding plenty and has had loads of wet nappies but no poops. I remember the same thing happening with my little boy when he was about 2 weeks old also. I rang the hospital and they told me to squeeze an orange and give him about a tablespoon through a bottle teat. The child hadn't pooed in nearly a week and about 5 mins after the orange juice he just exploded - it went out the legs and up the neck and everything! I'm going to bath her tomorrow and if she hasn't gone by then I'll give her the orange. She's roaring crying right now, the OH is walking the floors with her. Only concerning thing is she's been roaring crying at this time the last few nights and this is how the colic started with my little boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Toots wrote: »
    That looks like the one I ordered. I must give it a go and see how she gets on with it. She hasn't pooped today, I think she's constipated :( She's feeding plenty and has had loads of wet nappies but no poops. I remember the same thing happening with my little boy when he was about 2 weeks old also. I rang the hospital and they told me to squeeze an orange and give him about a tablespoon through a bottle teat. The child hadn't pooed in nearly a week and about 5 mins after the orange juice he just exploded - it went out the legs and up the neck and everything! I'm going to bath her tomorrow and if she hasn't gone by then I'll give her the orange. She's roaring crying right now, the OH is walking the floors with her. Only concerning thing is she's been roaring crying at this time the last few nights and this is how the colic started with my little boy.
    Take probiotics yourself for wind as you are breastfeeding. I wouldn’t give a tiny baby anything like orange juice or fennel tea. Constipation is actually when they are pooping tiny, hard lumps, it would be quite normal for a bf baby not to poop daily.

• Advertisement

She sounds exactly like how my girl was but it wasn't classed as colic as it wasn't for long enough , an hour of roaring is long enough to listen too! As it wasn't actually colic we changed her to goats milk formula and started her on the fennel tea and probiotics. She probably just needs to do that dirty nappy. It's absolutely heartbreaking when they cry like that.

Well she had a dirty nappy, actually 3. She was doing the little pellets earlier and then when I was changing her nappy later she started going...... and didn't stop!! Filled 3 nappies, the poor child must have been in agony. She's in much better form now.

Wow that's great, she's probably so relieved now. Hopefully it'll get her going regularly! Our little man got sick his first two bottles today, seems a bit off form, like he has a pain. still taking 5oz bottles since but he's now so over tired he's not able to stay asleep for any length. He's nodding off in My husbands arms now

My little boy was a frequent puker alright, but so far this little one has been pretty good. She had one day where she practically threw up every feed, which resulted in her having a rough night awake because she was hungry but then would puke up the feed. Completely back to normal the next day and we've no idea what caused it, I hadn't eaten anything odd either. One thing I've noticed with her is that even though she's being breastfed, she needs to be winded frequently, like I'd have to take her off the breast and wind her a couple of times otherwise she swallows a load of wind and bawls for about an hour after a feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My little boy was a frequent puker alright, but so far this little one has been pretty good. She had one day where she practically threw up every feed, which resulted in her having a rough night awake because she was hungry but then would puke up the feed. Completely back to normal the next day and we've no idea what caused it, I hadn't eaten anything odd either. One thing I've noticed with her is that even though she's being breastfed, she needs to be winded frequently, like I'd have to take her off the breast and wind her a couple of times otherwise she swallows a load of wind and bawls for about an hour after a feed.

You should talk to a lacation consultant to see if there is any issue with her latch that is causing her to take in air when feeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

How long are thhe babies sleepin during the day?

Mine is a month old today and over past few days he has barely been sleeping by day. Thought before it was the coldness in the cot but rectified the issue with the furry blanket so its obv not. He does sleep more at night tho.

Im bf him but do use a bottle occasionally

donkey10 wrote: »
    How long are thhe babies sleepin during the day?

Mine is a month old today and over past few days he has barely been sleeping by day. Thought before it was the coldness in the cot but rectified the issue with the furry blanket so its obv not. He does sleep more at night tho.

Im bf him but do use a bottle occasionally

Is he feeding more often as well? The first leap is around 4 weeks and babies become more clingy and want to feed more often.

My first baby never slept during the day for the first 6 months, well she might nod off for 20 mins in the bouncer or swing but rarely was it a few hours. This little man is the opposite, needs his sleep. He didn't sleep for 7 hours yesterday evening but slept 7 hours last night. How often is your baby feeding?

bee06 wrote: »
    Is he feeding more often as well? The first leap is around 4 weeks and babies become more clingy and want to feed more often.

Ya he would be feeding more often too. That could be it so how long do these leaps last

My first baby never slept during the day for the first 6 months, well she might nod off for 20 mins in the bouncer or swing but rarely was it a few hours. This little man is the opposite, needs his sleep. He didn't sleep for 7 hours yesterday evening but slept 7 hours last night. How often is your baby feeding?

7 hours at nights jee thats brill! Would he be like that most days/nights?
    I sometimes wonder are they actually getting enuf sleep

7 hours at nights jee thats brill! Would he be like that most days/nights?
    I sometimes wonder are they actually getting enuf sleep

The leap length depends on the baby. If you want more info download the Wonder Weeks app. My little fella doesn’t sleep at all some days. I’d be of the opinion that if he is happy when awake and not cranky then he’s getting enough sleep.

bee06 wrote: »
    You should talk to a lacation consultant to see if there is any issue with her latch that is causing her to take in air when feeding.

We had a lactation consultant out and she said her latch is perfect, no clicking or anything. She said that when they cry they can swallow a lot of air, which leads to more crying, which leads to more swallowing of air... So far today she's been much better, has barely cried at all, but the real test will be night time because that's usually when she's upset. She's been farting like mad today though so maybe the wind is moving through now that she's not constipated any more.

Most nights it's somewhere between 3-5 hours but he was wrecked last night. I was awake waiting for him to wake. He was non stop sleeping the other day and seemingly during a growth spurt they can sleep a lot.

It's just hard sometimes if they don't have a sleep during the day it can be harder to get some jobs done.
    This little man was in real pain yesterday evening, he did a dirty nappy during the night and seems much better today.
    Toots it'd be great if she's getting rid of that wind, it might give her a break and ye too, the crying is so hard on everyone.

I'm so sick of being in this house!

We had a lactation consultant out and she said her latch is perfect, no clicking or anything. She said that when they cry they can swallow a lot of air, which leads to more crying, which leads to more swallowing of air... So far today she's been much better, has barely cried at all, but the real test will be night time because that's usually when she's upset. She's been farting like mad today though so maybe the wind is moving through now that she's not constipated any more.

I bf my fella and find he has hardly any wind at all. Im not exclusively bf coz my hubby gives bottle when i need a break. Way more wind and spew from bottle.
    Maybe it depends on every baby tho with bf. He udually lets off a big burp at the end and lets off a bit of wind
    Maybe try sitting her up after u think shes finished feedin to get her to burp

Aww, the poor little pet. It’s good that you have the latch sorted. Hopefully she’ll grow out of the crying as the weeks go on. My little fella is a terror with the farting. Usually wakes up at 4/5am in pain because he can’t seem to get it out. Starting a baby massage class this week so hopefully I’ll learn something to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I bf my fella and find he has hardly any wind at all. Im not exclusively bf coz my hubby gives bottle when i need a break. Way more wind and spew from bottle.
    Maybe it depends on every baby tho with bf. He udually lets off a big burp at the end and lets off a bit of wind
    Maybe try sitting her up after u think shes finished feedin to get her to burp

We're similar. Neither of my boys were ever particularly windy, both BF with the occasional bottle. Small burp after feeding but that's about it.

Most nights it's somewhere between 3-5 hours but he was wrecked last night. I was awake waiting for him to wake. He was non stop sleeping the other day and seemingly during a growth spurt they can sleep a lot.

It's just hard sometimes if they don't have a sleep during the day it can be harder to get some jobs done.
    This little man was in real pain yesterday evening, he did a dirty nappy during the night and seems much better today.
    Toots it'd be great if she's getting rid of that wind, it might give her a break and ye too, the crying is so hard on everyone.

I'm so sick of being in this house!

Yeah impossible to get anything done when they dont sleep amd then ur wrecked too.
    I try get out for a walk if hubby finishes work early or on a sunday when he can mind him. Really feel so much better after it. Have u tried get out for a bit of a walk

Yeah impossible to get anything done when they dont sleep amd then ur wrecked too.
    I try get out for a walk if hubby finishes work early or on a sunday when he can mind him. Really feel so much better after it. Have u tried get out for a bit of a walk

I've been out one or two days, but we've a wedding the start of April so I really need to get out for a proper long walk every day to shift some weight!! We go to a local toddler group weds mornings and I'm going to another one tomorrow morning..just a change of scenery!

I've been out one or two days, but we've a wedding the start of April so I really need to get out for a proper long walk every day to shift some weight!! We go to a local toddler group weds mornings and I'm going to another one tomorrow morning..just a change of scenery!

Ive one the middle of march so havent much time left at all and only get out about twice a week if im lucky.
    Hoping to join one of those groups in a few weeks dont want to bring him to them just ye5 till he gets his first vaccinations

I actually never thought of vaccinations! I suppose we go to the same one all the time. Did you hear of Virgo boutique in Newcastle west? I saw some lovely dresses online there. Late start this morning when I thought we'd be out the door already, it's typical!

I actually never thought of vaccinations! I suppose we go to the same one all the time. Did you hear of Virgo boutique in Newcastle west? I saw some lovely dresses online there. Late start this morning when I thought we'd be out the door already, it's typical!

Yeah i went there before. The stuff online looks fab but i found the store to be a total different story. I was so disappointed when i went there

Yeah i went there before. The stuff online looks fab but i found the store to be a total different story. I was so disappointed when i went there

Oh really, I better not go there, they don't have the dress I want in stock so I might have to buy it from the UK!
    Why is it the weirdest strangers always ask questions about your baby or try to touch them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

I went there in person and the dresses all look gorgeous online but the quality wasn’t great! The dresses felt cheap! But if cheap and cheerful is what you are after it’s perfect

Pocos wrote: »
    I went there in person and the dresses all look gorgeous online but the quality wasn’t great! The dresses felt cheap! But if cheap and cheerful is what you are after it’s perfect

Oh really, God I thought they looked like they'd be good.Maybe I'll keep searching :D thanks! We had 5 weddings last year and I was so lucky for the ones in September and October as I was pregnant I got away with a bit of weight.

• Advertisement

Oh really, I better not go there, they don't have the dress I want in stock so I might have to buy it from the UK!
    Why is it the weirdest strangers always ask questions about your baby or try to touch them!!

Buy a few on asos or littlewoods and at least u can return and dont need to be trying on in the shops. Thats what ill be doing anway although im gona try squeeze into something old and get a new outfit for the christening

Oh strangers trying to touch babies so not cool id never dream of doing that i supoose some people just do that!

Advertisement