Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2018 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

I'm half hoping that because I was getting sick so much that I haven't gained too much so far. If I get a craving then once I have what I wanted I'm over it. It was garlic bread last week, this week I'd love a bag of vinegary chips! Just wish these next two weeks would fly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

Yeah im eating crap half the time too! Tiredness kicking in again. On the positive side, went for first hospital appointment with midwife. Was delighted to see the scan and how much baba has formed in a few weeks. All looking good so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lmc106

Hello! Due with first baby end of January so am a little past 10 weeks now. Still waiting for my first scan I think it will feel real then- although between my mom, husband and mother in law I think they've slipped the news to everyone already anyway 😂

I'm having morning sickness nearly every day all day and if I don't eat every few hours I'm throwing up. I'm also super tired and having back pain AND am showing already! Mother in law is convinced it's twins- I'm just worried about what to wear to a wedding next week that won't show the bump... We're very excited about everything and I'm glad I found this thread :)

Hi again- ladies I need suggestions!

I have a wedding this weekend and the two dresses I had in mind show my new bump really prominently! We're not ready to tell everyone just yet so I'll need to go shopping tomorrow, any suggestions on how to hide it? I'm thinking a skater skirt and nice top might be poufy enough to cover it...

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

lmc106 wrote: »
    Hi again- ladies I need suggestions!

I have a wedding this weekend and the two dresses I had in mind show my new bump really prominently! We're not ready to tell everyone just yet so I'll need to go shopping tomorrow, any suggestions on how to hide it? I'm thinking a skater skirt and nice top might be poufy enough to cover it...

Hi lmc106

Congrats on your news and welcome to the group! I also had wedding last weekend.. I'm 14 weeks so it's a bit easier as we are telling people! I was lucky enough to already have a jersey dress with a silk material covering the front of the dress! So it was very comfortable. Try avoid tight waist bands as they can get quite uncomfortable as the Evening continues and weddings are long days!!!

If I had to buy something I did notice loads of wedding guests were doing separates! Big skirts and tops... this way you may be able to get different sizes! Size ten top, size 12 bottom etc. Giving you more options

Another friend of mine just said go with your usual style but go up a size.. gives your more comfort!

I was buying clothes for my holidays two weeks ago on ASOS and I had a look at their maturnity dresses! Some looked really nice and you wouldn't know they were maturnity. May be an option if you have a wedding further into your pregnancy and you could reuse it..

Anyway best of luck with the shopping! I'll be in the same boat next October and December trying to buy a dress for a wedding! Any excuse to buy new clothes :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Would a floaty maxi dress work? Something with a bit of ruching around the bust might draw the eye away from any possible bump sightings

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Nearly 12 weeks and I have serious low back pain. Anyone else suffering?
    I do have an office/desk job but I never had this with my previous two pregnancies.
    I'm using a hot water bottle on my back in the evenings and that seems to help but during the day at work it's so painful and achy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

saggycaggy wrote: »
    I do have an office/desk job but I never had this with my previous two pregnancies.
    I'm using a hot water bottle on my back in the evenings and that seems to help but during the day at work it's so painful and achy.

Could you get an ergonomic assessment? Maybe your desk/chair position isn't ideal at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Is the pain to one side or in the middle or all over?

It's in the middle and sore when I sit down and eases a bit when standing.
    Yeah I'd say my work desk doesn't help, once I tell work my news I'll see can I get something to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭annettea

Hi everyone. Hope everyone is feeling okay.. I hope your back will feel better soon , is there a reason why you can't tell work now about the pregnancy? You have to think of yourself , your back is very important especially so early on in the pregnancy you have to mind it :);) I'll stop nagging now :)
    I missed a call from the ante natal clinic today, I rang back but now I'm scared .. I'm just wondering why they're ringing me. I was with them last Monday 3rd for scan and got urine lab tested. I'm sure if it was serious they would have rang me again.
    Apart from that I'm wrecked!! Really tired. I already fell asleep on my child's bed for a half hour while she was going up and down the stairs. I've a feeling I'm carrying a boy and I don't know why, pregnancy is the same as last time so I don't know why

Thanks Annettea, yeah I'm just waiting until after my scan on the 20th before I tell them-so holding out until then. Although trying to hide this wee bump is proving difficult already.

Did you find out why they were ringing you? I'm sure all is ok and like you say if it was anything serious they would have gotten in contact again soon after.

I've never heard of an ergonomic assessment bee06:confused: I'll look it up thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

My lower back is bad as well, went to gp the other day due to constant dizziness and headaches. Signed me off work for the week. I slept 14 hours last night, madness. I just want to feel normal. Hate missing work for what seems quite trivial when you're not pregnant :(

Anyone having back pain should consider visiting an osteopath or getting a deep tissue massage, lifesavers.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭annettea

I'm here waiting for bloods and they told me why they rang. I have E-COLI . I asked was I going to die , she laughed and said to just take antibiotics they described.. I got a bit of a fright.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

12 weeks today, can't really believe it. I'm dying to start telling people other than immediate family, but not sure if we should announce it today or wait until we have our hospital appointment on Thursday and check that everything's ok.

Sh*tting it about the hospital appointment - nervous about the scan that they'll say something is wrong, but it's mainly the booking bloods that I'm crapping it about. I have a crippling phobia of needles. I can tolerate injections, but blood tests or IVs usually bring on a full on panic attack. My husband is taking the day off work to come with me just in case I faint :o

How is everyone else getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

saggycaggy wrote: »

(In from the Nov thread)

Contact your maternity hospital and they will get you in for physio. I strained a muscle in my back last week and had physio. It was really good to hear how to manage it and she also advised sitting on a gym ball and getting a coccyx support cushion for sitting down. My pain sounds similar to yours in that it eases a bit standing up. There is a hormone we release in pregnancy that makes all the joints or muscles relax so this sort of pain can be common. We have a while to go yet so definitely get it looked at!

Toots wrote: »
    12 weeks today, can't really believe it. I'm dying to start telling people other than immediate family, but not sure if we should announce it today or wait until we have our hospital appointment on Thursday and check that everything's ok.

Sh*tting it about the hospital appointment - nervous about the scan that they'll say something is wrong, but it's mainly the booking bloods that I'm crapping it about. I have a crippling phobia of needles. I can tolerate injections, but blood tests or IVs usually bring on a full on panic attack. My husband is taking the day off work to come with me just in case I faint :o

How is everyone else getting on?

I'm the same- first scan at the Coombe this Wednesday! My anxiety is in overdrive worrying that something will be wrong and also dreading the needles. Husband has to work away this week of course :( my mother in law will be with me at least.

Does anyone know if you go through all the questions, the medical history and all that, at the 12 week appointment on your second baby like we did on the first baby?

Does anyone know if you go through all the questions, the medical history and all that, at the 12 week appointment on your second baby like we did on the first baby?

Yep, they do.

• Advertisement

Oh dear God, that's a painful process!! So I can't escape another 3-4 hour appointment!

I learned from last time and arrived 40 mins early for my 12 week appt, was done in an hour and a bit as I was one of the first there.

I plan on being a bit early but can't be too early as app is at 9! On my first I didn't know about taking a ticket for bloods so I ended up the midwife giving everyone a ticket after all the questions which added at least an hour if not longer to the process

My appt was 9.30, outpatients opens at 9 so I was there for 8.50, taking no chances! We don't have a ticket system here, just wait & queue and first come first serve!

lmc106 wrote: »
    I'm the same- first scan at the Coombe this Wednesday! My anxiety is in overdrive worrying that something will be wrong and also dreading the needles. Husband has to work away this week of course :( my mother in law will be with me at least.

I wasn't sure if my hubby would be able to come with me because he came down with this awful throat thing last week - they thought it might be strep throat, and if it was then he wouldn't have been allowed in the hospital because apparently it's really contagious. Luckily he's grand now and has been given the all clear to go in with me on Thursday.

I'd have been mortified if I'd to ask anyone else to go with me and hold my hand :o I went in for the booking appointment on my own on my first, and thought I'd be grand....... fainted during the blood test and then spent about half an hour lying in the back seat of my car on Merrion Square waiting until I felt well enough to drive in to work. :pac: I blame my Dad! It's all his side of the family that are squeamish. Last time around my sister was asking what the Anti D injection was for (I'd mentioned that I wouldn't need it) and she passed out when I was explaining it!

(In from the Nov thread)

Contact your maternity hospital and they will get you in for physio. I strained a muscle in my back last week and had physio. It was really good to hear how to manage it and she also advised sitting on a gym ball and getting a coccyx support cushion for sitting down. My pain sounds similar to yours in that it eases a bit standing up. There is a hormone we release in pregnancy that makes all the joints or muscles relax so this sort of pain can be common. We have a while to go yet so definitely get it looked at!

Thanks a mill Loveinapril, I've my appointment in Rotunda on Thursday so i'll mention it to them then. Just gone the 12 weeks and still feeling a bit crap-physically and emotionally, I think it's the 3rd child fear on top of everything. I've searched so many blogs about it and it's common enough for the 3rd one to throw you and then listening to Matt Cooper yesterday on the costs of education for children freaked me out even more:o

If it's any consolation, I'd imagine that by the time the kid is going to college they'll probably be paying for it themselves with student loans.

Yeah mad Toots, I guess it's everything and you want to do your best for your children etc, I need to get more positive than negative. Roll on Thursday-might even see you there!

Might indeed! If you see someone getting carried out after a blood test, that's probably me :pac:

• Advertisement

lol Toots-best of luck with it!! close your eyes and pretend you're a million miles away:)

Advertisement