Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2018 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Constipation has definitely eased from happening twice a week to now where it hasnt happened in maybe 3 weeks so we are improving but i will definitely consider baby massage. I actually think i saw something local on Facebook.
    Are your babies breast or bottle fed? We bottle fed here and my mother was asking me today when would i think of starting her on spoonfeed! Obviously not for another few weeks but i dread the thoughts of it!!!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My son was bottle fed, but my daughter is breastfed. We started my son on a little bit of baby rice or mashed banana etc at 18 weeks - back then the guideline given by the PHN was that formula fed babies could start solids after 18 weeks, but breastfed babies had to be 6 months. This time round she said 6 months regardless of feeding method. It's hard to keep up! I know my little man was far more settled when we introduced solids, the colic disappeared nearly overnight.

The conflicting advice drives me mad. PHN nurse told me not to add extra ounce of water to the bottle for constipation, a very experienced midwife told me it wouldn't do any harm. Sometimes i think the old school methods are the best.

Just out from appointment with consultant neurophysiologist (bit of a mouthful!) It could take anywhere between 18months to 2 years for my shoulder to regain function. Nearly fell off the chair. Of course i cried like a baby. Really thought she was going to work some kind of magic and cure me instantly. Could be worse i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

Hey peeps! Yes we have gone quiet so would be great to keep it going 😊
    My lad is 3 months today cant believe hes growing up so quick! Time really does fly.

Im still combination feeding - give one bottle at lunch and one before bed. Finally got him to go for naps during the day. I have got 2 or 3 straight nights of 8 hours out of him but usually its about 5 hours before he wakes.

He usually has one big poo a day he destroys the nappy when it comes aa with the clothes 😊

I reckon hes startin to teeth also - constant fist in the mouth when hes fully fed and sometimes goes through half hour spells of constant cryin. Have been recommended the homepathic Teetha granules. I got them and it seems to do the trick of calmin him down

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Hi all

Our little one is 15 weeks this week! Time is flying by! She’s great 90% of the time she’s been ebf but kinda not by choice! She still refuses to tahe a bottle so we kinda are stuck! Like I’m happy to fed her 95% of the time but it would be nice the odd night or odd feed my husband getting to feed her. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Or heard of anyone else having this problem? We got a lactation consultant in just to get some professional advice, hers was to shop bottles and just go straight onto sippy cups at 6 months!

Also little sleeps at night from 5 hours til 9 hours straight so she’s a great sleeper! Do I don’t want to do anything to affect that!

As for teething Donkey I think our little one has started about a week ago too! Such a pain for them cos they can be in a lot of pain! Hard to watch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My older son was slow to take a bottle, we just persevered though. In the sample size of two that I have I've found the Nuk bottles with a latex teat good for my breastfed babies. The latex is a little softer than silicone and some babies find that easier. Some babies are really finicky about the temperature of milk in a bottle too.

A is 11 weeks tomorrow (we missed January by a few hours!) - he's doing great! He's had a real growth spurt in the last week and he's just into his first 3-6m clothes. He had his first flight on Saturday, I brought the two boys to Dublin to visit their grandparents. He was a little angel, boobed for takeoff and landing and was quiet for the rest of it. Charmed the pants off the Aer Lingus cabin crew! He's giving me a 6 hour stretch most nights, usually 10pm to 4am and then until 8 after that - which is great.

My older son was slow to take a bottle, we just persevered though. In the sample size of two that I have I've found the Nuk bottles with a latex teat good for my breastfed babies. The latex is a little softer than silicone and some babies find that easier. Some babies are really finicky about the temperature of milk in a bottle too.

Thanks rainbow Kirby, we have those nuk bottles and latex teat (along with 4 other type of bottles!) she just has no interest in them! We were advised to give it a break and revisit again in a few weeks! So I think I’ll try her every 2 weeks up to 6 months and then introduce a sippy cup. She’s currently 3.5 months (15 weeks)

Like I do feel really bad and I am enjoying the breast feeding.. I just would love to head out for a night out and not have to worry about her feeding! One night out after 4 months isn’t a lot to ask! :(

I feel even bad giving out about her as she’s s very good little baby! Some nights sleeping up to 8 hours at a time! But if only she’d take a bottle... fingers crossed one day she will! The guilt is unreal too that I even want a break! Motherhood is so tricky!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Pocos you shouldn’t feel guilty! Your mental health is important too. There’s a Nuk soppy cup suitable from 4 months. I’ll see if I can find a link.

bee06 wrote: »
    Pocos you shouldn’t feel guilty! Your mental health is important too. There’s a Nuk soppy cup suitable from 4 months. I’ll see if I can find a link.

Actually it’s Nuby. It’s in the Aldi baby event tomorrow.

https://www.aldi.ie/nuby-360-sippy-cup/p/082418196535900

Actually it’s Nuby. It’s in the Aldi baby event tomorrow.

https://www.aldi.ie/nuby-360-sippy-cup/p/082418196535900

I know logically I shouldn’t feel guilty! Just can’t help it!

A sippy cup from 4 months brilliant thanks for letting me know! :)

• Advertisement

Pocos wrote: »
    I know logically I shouldn’t feel guilty! Just can’t help it!

A sippy cup from 4 months brilliant thanks for letting me know! :)

I know, easier said than done!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Little one is drooling like mad lately, I think teething has started. My son was the same but it took months before the teeth actually came through. I've 2 bibs on the baba now and they're almost soaked through :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Did you try the sippy cup Pocos?
    My wee man is 13weeks tomorrow and will not go near a bottle!!I've poured so much breastmilk down the sink after trying him on the bottles.
    I'm due to go to a show next week so not sure what I'm going to do -my husband might have to wait outside :confused:

Loads of drooling here too Toots,and eating his hand buy doesn't seem to be in any discomfort or anything thankfully.

Yeah lots of chewing hands here, too. She's also had a good chew of mine and the hubby's fingers. My little boy has wanted her to have a chew on his too, but we're trying to discourage that, because once she actually has teeth she could hurt him if she bit him too hard.

We had to leave the little one with my parents for the day this week, so I left a couple of bottles and plenty of bags of breastmilk, plus a couple of the premade formula cartons in the unlikely event that they ran out of breastmilk. Well, we arrived back about 5 hours later... ALL the breastmilk was drunk plus one of the cartons! I'm surprised the child didn't explode! I think every time she cried, they panicked and thought she was hungry so they fed her :pac:

saggycaggy wrote: »
    My wee man is 13weeks tomorrow and will not go near a bottle!!I've poured so much breastmilk down the sink after trying him on the bottles.
    I'm due to go to a show next week so not sure what I'm going to do -my husband might have to wait outside :confused:

Loads of drooling here too Toots,and eating his hand buy doesn't seem to be in any discomfort or anything thankfully.

Hi saggycaggy

We bought the sippy cups and it says 4 months so waiting till later in the week. She will be 4 months on Wednesday! Probably won’t make a difference but if it says 4 months I tend to go by the packaging!

Oh the amount of breast milk that has gone down the sink is cruel!!! Such a waste! Someone said that sometimes they don’t like breast milk from a bottle but try them on formula! So we have the instant stuff so gonna try the formula and see does she like that! I had planned on EBF till 6 months but a bottle of formula here and there won’t be the end of the world!

We have given it a 2-3 week break so hoping when we revisit it she will be more open to the bottle! She is 17 weeks tomorrow so I’ll let you know how we get on!

Mad drooling and hands in the mouth here! No sign of major discomfort. There was 2/3 days where she was very upset and couldn’t eat as it seemed to hurt her as she latched on. One dose of calpol was needed those days. The form was much better after she taking it so she must have been in pain! Rest of the time she’s been fine :)

Hi all. Yes our little dolly is like a tap. We regularly have to change vest and top if we've forgotten to put on a bib. Haven't given calpol yet but have it on standby.

Husband has really got into having a little girl. He comes from a family of 6 boys and was quite panicky about knowing what to do (as if its any different!!!)
    Well i nearly dropped the other day when he asked me for a different top because the one i gave didnt match her leggings!!

Any unused breastmilk can be kept for other uses like in a bath, healing nappy rash, cuts, burns or cradle cap. You can use put it up their nose if they have a cold (works better than saline drops), heals conjunctivitis. It has amazing healing powers. And you can get breastmilk jewellery made as a momento as well.

We have the drooling and hands in mouth here as well. I'm getting wet patches on my tops every time A goes in the sling!

My 2 year old had chickenpox last week, we're in the awful waiting game now to see if A gets it...

Toots wrote: »
    Yeah lots of chewing hands here, too. She's also had a good chew of mine and the hubby's fingers. My little boy has wanted her to have a chew on his too, but we're trying to discourage that, because once she actually has teeth she could hurt him if she bit him too hard.

We had to leave the little one with my parents for the day this week, so I left a couple of bottles and plenty of bags of breastmilk, plus a couple of the premade formula cartons in the unlikely event that they ran out of breastmilk. Well, we arrived back about 5 hours later... ALL the breastmilk was drunk plus one of the cartons! I'm surprised the child didn't explode! I think every time she cried, they panicked and thought she was hungry so they fed her :pac:

OMg i can totally relate to this. He was left with my mother in law and i had told her what he was to drink etc and if he cries to entertain him by walking him around on her shoulder or playing with a puppet he likes. I came back and she hadnt listened said he was hungry he was then overfed and wouldnt sleep that night it was a disaster

Any unused breastmilk can be kept for other uses like in a bath, healing nappy rash, cuts, burns or cradle cap. You can use put it up their nose if they have a cold (works better than saline drops), heals conjunctivitis. It has amazing healing powers. And you can get breastmilk jewellery made as a momento as well.

Is there an expiry for the breastmilk that it can be used for those things

• Advertisement

saggycaggy wrote: »

Whats the idea of the sippy cup?

donkey10 wrote: »
    Is there an expiry for the breastmilk that it can be used for those things

I don’t know exactly and can’t find any guidelines but I would say for external uses there would be no issues but I’d be more careful if using for eyes or nose infections. You need such a small amount for them I just hand express then anyway. I just freeze anything that can’t be drank again (mark the bag and store it away from the normal stash) for future use.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

donkey10 wrote: »
    Whats the idea of the sippy cup?

It was mentioned as a suggestion from 4months when the baby won't take the bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

Hi ladies.hope it's all going well. Our little girl has definitely started teething as well... everything in the mouth now! We have given her Calpol a few times and bonjela. Bought those teething granules as well, will try them later

On a personal note, how are ye getting on with shifting the baby weight? I'm 3.5 months pp, weight seems 'stuck' by around 1.5 stone. Havent dropped any weight on the scales since just after she was born. It's so disheartening. I'mil doing pilates twice a week and 3 very short jogs a week (3k) plus baby walks and watching what I eat as much as I can with bf but extra weight seems stuck :( sorry, I know it's trivial and I need to be patient but fitting into clothes is tough... maternity gear is too big and normal wardrobe is too small still. How are ye finding it?

Have any of you brought your baby swimming yet? Thinking of taking her for lessons next month

Hi mojesuis

Sorry to hear you are struggling with the weight! And it’s not trivial! It’s important to feel like yourself! Also be nice to be back to your regular clothes! Fair play to you with the Pilates and running and breast feeding!!! That’s amazing!

It’s probably not what you want to hear but my baby is 4 months old. I’m about 2 or 3 pounds over where I was before I got pregnant! To be honest I found the weight went pretty quick. I put it down to breast feeding so I’m surprised you are struggling and not losing the excess pounds! Now my mum and sister always lost baby weight quickly so it could be genetics too! Do you have female family members who had babies? Did they struggle? Are you someone who usual struggles with weight? Is this your first baby?

It can be disheartening when you are trying and working on it! I wonder how others are getting on! Hopefully you will start to see results soon! :)

Thanks Pocos. I thought the weight would come off a bit quicker too with bfing but I guess I'll need to be patient. At my ideal weight before I was pregnant, I was running quite a lot and fairly fit. Prior to that for years I struggled with weight a bit - had to work for it. Girls in family who've had kids tended to keep some on, so I guess I'll need to work it off harder.

I definitely overindulged just before she was born and after on chocolate and take aways, only cut that out since Easter so will just keep it up and see how I get on. I thought bfing would suck it all out lol but need to also be a bit more regimented on healthy foods. Also I'm mid 30s, maybe metabolism is a bit slower :/;)

All my skinny jeans are laughing at me lol

I'm still huge, but my comfort eating doesn't help. It took me a long time to lose the weight after #1 and right now I'm 2.5 stone heavier than I was on my wedding day 3 years ago, which is a bit embarrassing.

Mojesus you sound like superwoman!!

When i got the nerve pain in my shoulder after she was born i didn't eat a meal for 3 weeks. Went to skin and bone but just couldn't eat.
    Then i was put on pain blockers that slow metabolism and people pile on weight so I've been cautious since then but am back at prebaby weight.
    That's not much help to you but helps me to have a bit of a moan!

Just to add - i may be back at prebaby weight but my shape has changed considerably. Hips are wider than ever before which gives the illlusion of a flat arse. Used to be quite proud of my ghetto ass!

I'm still huge, but my comfort eating doesn't help. It took me a long time to lose the weight after #1 and right now I'm 2.5 stone heavier than I was on my wedding day 3 years ago, which is a bit embarrassing.

I know how you feel! My first anniversary is coming up and I watched the video the other night, didn't appreciate my figure then at all (unknowingly was early in pregnancy at wedding). I comfort ate a lot if I'm being honest during the day when husband was at work. Hard to find time to cook decent meals and I was craving chocolate like mad.

I can imagine it's much tougher after the second baby!

• Advertisement

heldel00 wrote: »
    Mojesus you sound like superwoman!!

When i got the nerve pain in my shoulder after she was born i didn't eat a meal for 3 weeks. Went to skin and bone but just couldn't eat.
    Then i was put on pain blockers that slow metabolism and people pile on weight so I've been cautious since then but am back at prebaby weight.
    That's not much help to you but helps me to have a bit of a moan!

Just to add - i may be back at prebaby weight but my shape has changed considerably. Hips are wider than ever before which gives the illlusion of a flat arse. Used to be quite proud of my ghetto ass!

That sounds awful, hope the shoulder is better now! Nothing worse than back/neck/shoulder issues. May I ask by being cautious what did you do? 3 square meals and no snacks?

I know what you mean about the hips. You'll get your ass back! :D Im carrying all the weight on my thighs and ass, stomach is going but scales not reflecting that. Patience it is!

Advertisement