Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2018 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

No shoulder is still completely paralysed. The bigger my baby is getting the harder it is to manage. 12-18 months recovery. Could cry when i think about it but it could be worse.

By cautious i mean:
    Dinner almost always eaten by 6pm
    Only snack on fruit after that
    Do i really need that biscuit??
    Lots of water (well i do drink lots of diet coke too if I'm honest)
    Mints (i find that if im really craving something I'll just have a milkymoo. Lasts a while and takes the "want" off of me)
    2 boiled eggs in morn (keeps me going until at least late afternoon)
    No sweet things in the house (i have a packet of jelly babies for the toddler and gingernut biscuits for the husband because i can't stand either and wouldn't eat them if ya paid me!)

That sounds terribly regimented but we let loose at weekends!

BTW i booked 4 nights for myself and husband in Portugal. Children will stay with my parents. Beside myself with the excitement of a lie in!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

heldel00 wrote: »
    No shoulder is still completely paralysed. The bigger my baby is getting the harder it is to manage. 12-18 months recovery. Could cry when i think about it but it could be worse.

By cautious i mean:
    Mints (i find that if im really craving something I'll just have a milkymoo. Lasts a while and takes the "want" off of me)
    No sweet things in the house (i have a packet of jelly babies for the toddler and gingernut biscuits for the husband because i can't stand either and wouldn't eat them if ya paid me!)

BTW i booked 4 nights for myself and husband in Portugal. Children will stay with my parents. Beside myself with the excitement of a lie in!

You are really strict on yourself! BTW fruit is very high in suger are you snacking on it a lot? If so this could be causing you not to loose the weight.

Do you not eat lunch? Maybe try get that in too.

Portugal sounds fab! We were going to go away but were just too afraid of bringin the baba with us in case somethin happened and we needed hospital etc

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

mojesius wrote: »
    Thanks Pocos. I thought the weight would come off a bit quicker too with bfing but I guess I'll need to be patient. At my ideal weight before I was pregnant, I was running quite a lot and fairly fit. Prior to that for years I struggled with weight a bit - had to work for it. Girls in family who've had kids tended to keep some on, so I guess I'll need to work it off harder.

I definitely overindulged just before she was born and after on chocolate and take aways, only cut that out since Easter so will just keep it up and see how I get on. I thought bfing would suck it all out lol but need to also be a bit more regimented on healthy foods. Also I'm mid 30s, maybe metabolism is a bit slower :/;)

All my skinny jeans are laughing at me lol

Ah I think when pregnant we all over indulge! I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 35 weeks so probably when I was gonna go mad with eating I had to be good and actually lost a good few pounds as I was diet controlled with the diabetes! Then after she was born the weight just fell off! Now I do eat relatively well but I have a chocolate bar a day and a can of Diet Coke (don’t drink tea or coffee) so it’s my caffeine hit to keep me going at 3pm! Maybe a few biscuits here and there too..

See if your family members kept weight on you are on the back foot with genetics going against! I’m very lucky didn’t have to worry about the weight! But don’t feel guilty about thinking about it! Feeling like ourselves is important!

As for wedding day weight versus my regular weight I wouldn’t even bother to compare! I was only on broccoli and chicken for weeks before wedding! Torture diet ;)

As for shape I totally agree mine is different! Like I’ve still 3-4 pounds to lose and it’s all on my thighs, stomach is ok but not as toned as pre pregnancy! But you are pregnant 40 weeks so probably takes 40 weeks to get back to what we were! babies are only around 16 weeks so need to give ourselves a break too :)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I lost weight during my pregnancy, but I'm plus size to begin with so it's not like the baby popped out and I suddenly had a fab figure. While I didn't gain weight, a 10 and a half pound baby really took it's toll on my waistline - it looks like a deflated balloon and I doubt it'll ever recover :pac:

I tried on swimsuits the other day (terrible idea) and was nearly in tears because they looked so awful, but my hubby gave me a bit of a talking to and basically said give yourself a break, the baby's only 12 weeks old. I'm looking forward to he weather getting better so I can get out for walks with the pram.

Toots wrote: »
    I lost weight during my pregnancy, but I'm plus size to begin with so it's not like the baby popped out and I suddenly had a fab figure. While I didn't gain weight, a 10 and a half pound baby really took it's toll on my waistline - it looks like a deflated balloon and I doubt it'll ever recover :pac:

I tried on swimsuits the other day (terrible idea) and was nearly in tears because they looked so awful, but my hubby gave me a bit of a talking to and basically said give yourself a break, the baby's only 12 weeks old. I'm looking forward to he weather getting better so I can get out for walks with the pram.

Well how many woman are ever happy in a swim suit?! Baby or no baby! As for the weather hasn’t it been rotten?? I thought January baby would be great.. weather bad for the first few weeks when baby small then spring would come when baby gets bigger.. ah I don’t think we’ve had a spring! Winter just went on forever!!!!! :(

• Advertisement

donkey10 wrote: »

By cautious i mean:

You are really strict on yourself! BTW fruit is very high in suger are you snacking on it a lot? If so this could be causing you not to loose the weight.

Do you not eat lunch? Maybe try get that in too.

Portugal sounds fab! We were going to go away but were just too afraid of bringin the baba with us in case somethin happened and we needed hospital etc

When i read it it sounds a lot worse than it is but when I'm at home i have to be more aware. I'd pick all day and as they say "little pickers wear bigger knickers"! It's just with the painblockers and the effect they have on your metabolism, i have to be strict with myself. I'll be reducing the tablets soon so i can let rip then!

We need to remember that less than 4 months ago we had a human being inside us! We're fecking superheroes!!!

Hello ladies,

Just looking for some advice! My husband, little one and I are off to costa del sol for ten nights end of May! Baby will be 20 weeks and I won’t have started solids, she is EBF. So from a feeding perspective there isn’t anything I need to bring..

Does anyone have any advice on bringing small babies abroad? I’m not sure are we mad but I can’t wait to get 10 days of sunshine and for my husband to be off and helping me mind baby for ten full days! That’s the best part :)

Thanks in advance all advice greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

I'm not helpful in terms of a holiday Pocos but I'd say it's a great time to get away with the baby-before food prep and crawling etc.

Just wondering have you had any luck with the bottle?? I haven't at all and booked tickets for a show last November which is tomorrow night thinking the baby will be well used to bottles by then :P
    I just fed him to sleep there, took an hour.....I'm not sure what's going to happen tomorrow night:eek:

saggycaggy wrote: »
    I'm not helpful in terms of a holiday Pocos but I'd say it's a great time to get away with the baby-before food prep and crawling etc.

Just wondering have you had any luck with the bottle?? I haven't at all and booked tickets for a show last November which is tomorrow night thinking the baby will be well used to bottles by then :P
    I just fed him to sleep there, took an hour.....I'm not sure what's going to happen tomorrow night:eek:

Hi saggycaggy

I’m not sure if this will make you feel better or not! Bottle is slow going here! We haven’t replaced a full feed with a bottle but have gotten one or two ounces into her! Nothing major though! But def more willing to try the bottle! Doesn’t get as frustrated by it as quick! But I wouldn’t say it’s a success yet!

How about you?

I had my night out last Friday and I left at 7.30 and was home 10.15! Not a big night but enough I could relax for a little bit with no baby! I just fed her at 6.30 before I left and fed when I got home! Also husband dropped me out with her in car seat so she slept 50 mins when I was out! Could you do something like that?

Pocos wrote: »
    Hi saggycaggy

I’m not sure if this will make you feel better or not! Bottle is slow going here! We haven’t replaced a full feed with a bottle but have gotten one or two ounces into her! Nothing major though! But def more willing to try the bottle! Doesn’t get as frustrated by it as quick! But I wouldn’t say it’s a success yet!

How about you?

I had my night out last Friday and I left at 7.30 and was home 10.15! Not a big night but enough I could relax for a little bit with no baby! I just fed her at 6.30 before I left and fed when I got home! Also husband dropped me out with her in car seat so she slept 50 mins when I was out! Could you do something like that?

I'm thinking the same-the show is in town (Dublin City Centre) at 8.30pm and over around 10.30pm so really I shouldn't be away for more than 3 hours but it's the getting to sleep at night that's the biggest problem. He might have to come into town to collect me instead of getting the bus :-)

My wee man will put the bottle in his mouth and play around with it but won't drink/suck, I'm happy to keep exclusively bfeeding but it'd be nice to know I can get away for a few hours without worrying about the little one.

• Advertisement

saggycaggy wrote: »
    I'm thinking the same-the show is in town (Dublin City Centre) at 8.30pm and over around 10.30pm so really I shouldn't be away for more than 3 hours but it's the getting to sleep at night that's the biggest problem. He might have to come into town to collect me instead of getting the bus :-)

My wee man will put the bottle in his mouth and play around with it but won't drink/suck, I'm happy to keep exclusively bfeeding but it'd be nice to know I can get away for a few hours without worrying about the little one.

Saggycaggy you are preaching to the choir! Like I really am enjoying the breast feeding and totally happy to do it till 6 months.. but it would be nice to be able to walk out the door and not be under time pressure or worrying will baby need to be fed when you are gone! And then the guilt for feeling this way. It’s horrible! Our little one is 18 weeks tomorrow and I have heard that’s the week when lots of babies will start on the bottle better! But I dunno! How old is your little fella? Also have you tried formula? Sometimes they don’t like the taste of breast milk from the bottle so you are bette off with formula! Also you don’t have the hassle of having to express!

Yes you should be ok that length of time depending on how old your fella is! I’d leave a bottle just in case though! The chewing on it may just distract him if nothing else! What type bottles you using? We use Avent and nuk, she doesn’t seem to have a preference for either! Also I feed my little one to sleep too! Such a bad habit seeing as I will always have to be there for bedtime! :(

Saggycaggy you are preaching to the choir! Like I really am enjoying the breast feeding and totally happy to do it till 6 months.. but it would be nice to be able to walk out the door and not be under time pressure or worrying will baby need to be fed when you are gone! And then the guilt for feeling this way. It’s horrible! Our little one is 18 weeks tomorrow and I have heard that’s the week when lots of babies will start on the bottle better! But I dunno! How old is your little fella? Also have you tried formula? Sometimes they don’t like the taste of breast milk from the bottle so you are bette off with formula! Also you don’t have the hassle of having to express!

Yes you should be ok that length of time depending on how old your fella is! I’d leave a bottle just in case though! The chewing on it may just distract him if nothing else! What type bottles you using? We use Avent and nuk, she doesn’t seem to have a preference for either! Also I feed my little one to sleep too! Such a bad habit seeing as I will always have to be there for bedtime! :(

Thanks Pocos....kinda nice to know someone else is going through the same thing- even though I wish we weren't!
    We actually for the first time this evening tried a bit of aptimal (thinking the same as yourself) but no luck there either!he screamed the place down and then I got upset and stuck him on the boob to comfort him. We're using Tommy Tipee bottles. Would you believe we have a 10yr old and a 5yr old (2girls) and had the same problem with them, you'd think I'd know by now what to do. They both eventually took the bottle but I remember it being a battle!!
    Charlie is 14 weeks tomorrow, he was the end of January. I never heard that about the 18 weeks, I must look it up thanks! Yeah I'll leave expresses milk and some aptimal for tomorrow evening, he might take it a little bit easier if I'm not around at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My kids don't do heat at all. Both of them absolutely melting today, it was 28c and A was feeding like a newborn.

Health visitor has me worried about him, had him weighed last week and he was only 5.28kg (11lb 10oz) at 3 months exactly, which is 2nd-9th percentile when his length is on the 50th. Trying to feed him up as best I can, expressing when I can despite it being difficult with a 2 year old around and hoping for the best...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My kids don't do heat at all. Both of them absolutely melting today, it was 28c and A was feeding like a newborn.

Health visitor has me worried about him, had him weighed last week and he was only 5.28kg (11lb 10oz) at 3 months exactly, which is 2nd-9th percentile when his length is on the 50th. Trying to feed him up as best I can, expressing when I can despite it being difficult with a 2 year old around and hoping for the best...

RC, what does your gut tell you? Do you feel like there’s something to worry about if you hadn’t seen the numbers on the page? Is he happy in himself and having plenty of wet nappies? I’d be inclined to think he’s just a slight baby if he’s happy and well hydrated. Obviously it’s something to keep an eye on but the HV saw him for maybe 30 mins whereas you are with him all the time and know how he’s developing.

His older brother is also a stringbean. C was 50th-75th for weight and 98th for length most of the time to around 18 months, he's just over 2 now and is still a slim but tall child.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My little fella sounds like C. He’s 50% for weight but has gone from the 75th to between 91st and 98th percentile for height in the last month. His toes are bursting out of his 3-6 month babygros but he’s doesn’t fill them width wise at all.

Both myself and my husband are tall and skinny so he’s following suit. I was the only baby I ever saw who never had any baby fat! No amount of topping up will fight your genetic coding.

Saggycaggy i personally know nothing about breastfeeding but i do know that my friend had the same issue with her fella and was advised not to feed him the bottle herself because he would still be able to smell the breast milk off of her. When he got used to the bottle she could feed him formula bottle then no prob.

Rainbow I just looked at my girl's record there and she was 12lb at three and half weeks. Has been on formula from day one and is measuring long too so i wouldn't worry too much. Every PHN is different and some will use common sense and some will stick rigidly to the documents. You know your own.

bee06 wrote: »
    My little fella sounds like C. He’s 50% for weight but has gone from the 75th to between 91st and 98th percentile for height in the last month. His toes are bursting out of his 3-6 month babygros but he’s doesn’t fill them width wise at all.

Both myself and my husband are tall and skinny so he’s following suit. I was the only baby I ever saw who never had any baby fat! No amount of topping up will fight your genetic coding.

I'm average height and generally tend towards being slightly overweight. My husband is over 6' and skinny though and I think both boys take after him. C is wearing a 3-4 Adidas t-shirt and Sainsburys 18-24m shorts at the moment... He's 25 months.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Hello ladies,

Just looking for some advice! My husband, little one and I are off to costa del sol for ten nights end of May! Baby will be 20 weeks and I won’t have started solids, she is EBF. So from a feeding perspective there isn’t anything I need to bring..

Does anyone have any advice on bringing small babies abroad? I’m not sure are we mad but I can’t wait to get 10 days of sunshine and for my husband to be off and helping me mind baby for ten full days! That’s the best part :)

Thanks in advance all advice greatly appreciated

Advice my GP gave me, which I still follow to this day, is give the child a dose of calpol as soon as you get on the plane - that way it should help with potential ear pain on takeoff and landing. If her ears are playing up you might find that you'll have to feed for a lot of the flight because the swallowing will help, or alternatively bring a soother for the flight and switch between boobs and that :)

Toots wrote: »
    Advice my GP gave me, which I still follow to this day, is give the child a dose of calpol as soon as you get on the plane - that way it should help with potential ear pain on takeoff and landing. If her ears are playing up you might find that you'll have to feed for a lot of the flight because the swallowing will help, or alternatively bring a soother for the flight and switch between boobs and that :)

Good advice I would not have thought of it! Thanks Toots

• Advertisement

We've started spoon feeding this week. Really just to get her used to spoon and swallowing but nappies have changed slightly so something must be going in.

My toddler refused to put a nappy on on Monday so we've have toilet training to contend with too. Its all go here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

We've started spoon feeding this week. Really just to get her used to spoon and swallowing but nappies have changed slightly so something must be going in.

My toddler refused to put a nappy on on Monday so we've have toilet training to contend with too. Its all go here!

Fair play to you. Going to start spoon feeding next week too...big week this week, injections tomorrow, first swimming class Thursday plus I think she's having another growth spurt... she's been feeding like mad all day and dopey :)

Looking forward to introducing different foods to her though :D

So how are we all getting on? A is nearly 5 months, still absolutely dinky (6.2kg) but a very happy baby. He's had his full primary set of jabs (2/3/4 months in the UK) so thankfully nothing more now until he's a year old. He's doing his best to army crawl during tummy time and it's incredibly cute :)

Hey Ladies-been meaning to check in her for ages! Grabbing 5 mins while the little one is happy out in the bouncer..........doesn't last too long before he's back in my arms and glued to me for the day!
    He'll be 5 months on Friday, ahhhhh it's flying! I want to pause time but also I'm loving seeing him develop and do new thinks and interact etc. We're still exclusively breast feeding and he'll take the odd bottle of expressed milk but I'm hoping to wean him off in the next month or so. Is anyone back to work soon?? I'm back in November and already dreading it, I'm getting upset about it already :(
    We've yet to start the feeding also but I'd say in about a couple of weeks we'll get going. Very little sleep these days between the heat and teething!
    Hope all the babies are doing well!!

Just about to turn 5 months here and she said her first word on Sunday - mama - I'm chuffed!

Finding the heatwave tough, she's feeding constantly and my husband is away for the week so bedtime are hard.

First words!! Wow I didn’t think they could speak so early! Honestly wouldn’t have a clue when they could!!

Back to work end of August and dreading it already! But I don’t want to ruin the last few weeks with dreading work! Like the longest Sunday :) be nice and probably good for us all to get into a routine!!!

How are we all coping with the heat? 29 and humid in London today, fan pointed at A's playmat. My two are melting! Moving north soon, a 3 bed in Manchester awaits and it's going to be lovely having more space.

I've decided to stop breastfeeding. Mental health reasons mostly but I'm fine with the decision, biological norm or not I'm just done after nearly 2 years in total boobing. A is doing fine so far even if he is quite a hungry boy, 6 180ml bottles every day.

What age is your little fella rainbow kitten? You should be 100% happy with your decision! A happy mum is a happy baby and if the breast feeding ain’t working then go to bottle! Absolutely nothing wrong with that and no one should even try and make you feel guilty about it! Esp yourself be kind!

Up north and more room ye won’t know yourself!

Heat sure it’s great for adults but tough going on the little ones!! :(

Just over 5 months. I breastfed my older son 16 months, stopped because I was pregnant again. I'm just so touched out and drained it's not even funny and the perinatal psych was holding out on increasing my meds because A was and is quite dinky.

It's in the high 20s in the room I share with both my kids at midnight. 2 year old is in just his nappy and I can see beads of sweat on his head.

• Advertisement

Just over 5 months. I breastfed my older son 16 months, stopped because I was pregnant again. I'm just so touched out and drained it's not even funny and the perinatal psych was holding out on increasing my meds because A was and is quite dinky.

It's in the high 20s in the room I share with both my kids at midnight. 2 year old is in just his nappy and I can see beads of sweat on his head.

Look you’ve done fantastic to have done it this long! So be proud of that!!

As for the heat that is tough going! I’m such a worrier and this heat has me feeling so bad for my LO I’m so terrified of over heating! But sure how do babies in India and the likes survive??!! I have to keep reminding myself of that!

Advertisement