Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January 2018 Babies Club

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭HazelBee

Lidl have some lovely neutral bits in this week and really nice quality!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Lidl have a baby event at the minute and have some gorgeous vests, babygrows and cardigans in beiges, creams and biscuit colours. I would have bought them except for the fact that I am DROWNING in baby clothes. I am due in November and have gotten so many hand- me- downs as well as the things I bought. Kinda wish the hand- me- downs came before I shopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

I've had a look in Lidl at whats available and they have a good selection. It's good to know where to get them so that I will have enough of them but I don't want to get too much either coz obviously I would prefer to have pink or blue on them :-)

The good thing about getting the baby clothes elsewhere is that you are sorted in case you ever run out:-) plus you can always get the lovely ones that are out there :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

On our first I got cream babygro's in dunnes, they had sheep on them, they did the job and I got my mam to buy me pink babygro's and bring to me the next day. She was very mucosy so got sick loads during the first night and our baby bag with everything was in the jeep and dh had the car so by the time my mam brought in the new babygro's the next morning all I had was a vest and cardigan on her! I'm going to buy a pack of pink and a pack of blue babygro's and bring them with me this time so I can put baby in something nice

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lmc106

Ladies, Mothercare is having a massive warehouse clearance sale in Santry- lots of great stuff at good prices and they said they put new stuff out everyday! I bought a few clothing items for me (new undies and pajamas yessss) and some small bits I know I want for baby like swaddling blankets. Got a bit overwhelmed by the prams and car seats so will go back on the weekend with baby daddy. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to choose or brands they really like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

With prams, think about what you need. As an example - I live in a first floor apartment with no lift and use public transport a lot (I live in an inner London borough) so what's important to me is a pram that's light and folds easily and doesn't take up much space in our apartment. I have a Baby Jogger City Mini, but others around here swear by the Bugaboo Bee or Babyzen Yoyo, many use umbrella strollers (Maclaren etc) after age 1-ish as well and most parents have at least one sling. If you're living rurally, walk dogs off-road every morning with your kid(s) and have more house and car space then your requirements are going to be totally different (Out n About Nipper is the screamingly obvious choice for a parent in that situation!). If you plan on having a second in quick succession you may also want to consider prams that can take a second seat easily - Uppababy Vista, iCandy Peach/Orange Blossom, Baby Jogger City Select, Phil n Teds etc.

Car seats - if you plan on using the car seat as part of a travel system (car seat on the buggy frame) Maxi-Cosi adaptors are the most common ones available so it can make sense to get a Maxi-Cosi infant carrier, I've had the Cabriofix recommended to me as I have one 99th percentile for height boy already, the likelihood is #2 will be long (my husband is tall) and it has a long shell for an infant carrier. You may also want to consider a group 0+/1 seat which should last from birth to 3-4 years rear facing, the Joie seats are great value in this range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Just back from 21 week scan, all looking healthy and we found out over a nice meal that we're having a little girl :) very happy!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Aww congratulations!!!

Congrats how exciting ❤❤

On our first I got cream babygro's in dunnes, they had sheep on them, they did the job and I got my mam to buy me pink babygro's and bring to me the next day. She was very mucosy so got sick loads during the first night and our baby bag with everything was in the jeep and dh had the car so by the time my mam brought in the new babygro's the next morning all I had was a vest and cardigan on her! I'm going to buy a pack of pink and a pack of blue babygro's and bring them with me this time so I can put baby in something nice

Buying the pack of pink and blue are a good idea....sure they wont go astray ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I think they've been mentioned already, but H&M have some fab stuff that could do for either boys or girls. I was looking through a lot of the stuff that we got for my eldest in H&M and most of it will work if this baby is a girl. Wish they did a lot of it in grown up sizes :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

mojesius wrote: »
    Just back from 21 week scan, all looking healthy and we found out over a nice meal that we're having a little girl :) very happy!

Fab Congrats!!!
    Did you get them to write it down on a piece of paper to look at later is it??

The pregnancy and baby fair Facebook page has the link to get a free ticket to the pregnancy and baby fair for anyone thinking of going!

I'm thinking of going out to the Mothercare warehouse sale in Swords this weekend - might see if they've got any discounts on those sleep nest yokes. Has anyone been out and is it absolutely mental?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Toots wrote: »
    I'm thinking of going out to the Mothercare warehouse sale in Swords this weekend - might see if they've got any discounts on those sleep nest yokes. Has anyone been out and is it absolutely mental?

I saw queues the first day on instagram but nothing since. I am interested too but not due until February and want to wait to buy stuff. Well trying to :D

Yeah I was just googling there and heard people were queuing for an hour and a half to get in.... feck that!!

Yeah I was just googling there and heard people were queuing for an hour and a half to get in.... feck that!!
    Not a chance!

Can you imagine! There'd be high blood pressure all round!

saggycaggy wrote: »
    Fab Congrats!!!
    Did you get them to write it down on a piece of paper to look at later is it??

yes we did, my friend gave me the idea, he said it would be nice to go for dinner, have it in an envelope and open it together, rather than during the scan. My husband said he immediately felt a sudden need to go into total protect mode hehe :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 lmc106

Is that the same one in Santry? Sorry not from here and am still getting the hang of where is where! I went on Thursday and it was fine. No lines, lots to look at, and good prices.

Not sure if any of you have noticed but I was just on the Argos site this morning and they have a "big sale" on baby stuff - furniture, monitors, toys etc.

Anyone know anything about what type of monitors are the best to get or any recommendations. I'm a first timer so haven't a clue!!

donkey10 wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about what type of monitors are the best to get or any recommendations. I'm a first timer so haven't a clue!!
    I'd be interested in this too!

We never bothered with one last time! Small apartment, baby never slept more than one room away from where we were at any given time. I still bedshare with my 17.5 month old son.

Not sure if any of you have noticed but I was just on the Argos site this morning and they have a "big sale" on baby stuff - furniture, monitors, toys etc.

We found the angelcare with the mattress pad great for peace of mind. You can pick up a second hand one on adverts.ie for about 50euro.

HazelBee wrote: »
    We found the angelcare with the mattress pad great for peace of mind. You can pick up a second hand one on adverts.ie for about 50euro.

Is this one with the video monitor? Are these a real necessity or are they actually handy to have?

• Advertisement

Is this one with the video monitor? Are these a real necessity or are they actually handy to have?

You can get a video version but we didn't find that nessecary. The one we got has a sound monitor and a movement monitor that goes under baby's mattress.

HazelBee wrote: »
    You can get a video version but we didn't find that nessecary. The one we got has a sound monitor and a movement monitor that goes under baby's mattress.

That sounds really handy!!

We have a Motorola monitor, it's the camera and display monitor, it was brilliant, only problem I had is I bent down with the monitor in my pocket and broke the ariel and it still worked fine until our lo lately decided to disconnect the ariel altogether so now it only works in she house. It had a great range for going outside with it. I'll probably buy another Motorola again, it's too much hassle to try source a new monitor

We have a Motorola monitor, it's the camera and display monitor, it was brilliant, only problem I had is I bent down with the monitor in my pocket and broke the ariel and it still worked fine until our lo lately decided to disconnect the ariel altogether so now it only works in she house. It had a great range for going outside with it. I'll probably buy another Motorola again, it's too much hassle to try source a new monitor

How far outside the house did the monitor work? Is there a certain model number for that type of monitor?

I think my husband will feel the video is a necessity. He's in IT so any excuse for a gadget.

• Advertisement

We have the mbp36s, the mbp667 is only €140 and that has the option to download the app and watch the camera anywhere! I think the range was 300m, it was great bcos during lambing season I could go to the shed and be able to watch her and check the sheep, if she woke we could talk into the monitor or play tunes

We have the mbp36s, the mbp667 is only €140 and that has the option to download the app and watch the camera anywhere! I think the range was 300m, it was great bcos during lambing season I could go to the shed and be able to watch her and check the sheep, if she woke we could talk into the monitor or play tunes

That is very handy! Talk about modern technology these days :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,860 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'm getting a bit worried today as we haven't bought a single thing yet for the baby we have kinda been waiting for it to get closer, but this morning I realised its only 16 weeks as she is due the 1st of January, The time has flown ,
    I think its time to start picking up stuff from the weekend ,which is going to make it really real exiting times ahead,

The excitement will really kick in when you're buying stuff. We need to get a new mattress for our next2me crib and a new monitor, it's just clothes and stuff after that. I've 10 days work in an office in October so I'm going to go after that and buy everything we need

I've another 2 weeks before the big scan so we'll defo wait until after that. Wonder would we get any deals in the Black Friday sales (first week of December I think)-might be worth holding out for them for a few bits!

Any recommendations for a small cot? limited space in our house/rooms so if we can get a neat cot that would be great!

I wonder will there be many good deals on Black Friday or else Cyber Monday. Definitely couldn't be arsed going out to queue in shops for sales, but online can be done from the comfort of my couch :pac:

I've got the big scan on Friday so hopefully going to find out the gender then. I've got a giant black balloon and then a pack each of pink and blue confetti so when we find out, I'll stick the appropriate one in the balloon, and our son can burst it to find out if he's having a brother or a sister.

IKEA are good for cots, and not too pricey either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 monalisa7

Hi all! I am due Jan 29th - first baby so very new to all this! Just wondering if anyone has advice on connecting with other new mothers after birth - I hear it can be lonely and am conscious that social support is important in our wellbeing. Thanks :)

I wonder will there be many good deals on Black Friday or else Cyber Monday. Definitely couldn't be arsed going out to queue in shops for sales, but online can be done from the comfort of my couch :pac:

I've got the big scan on Friday so hopefully going to find out the gender then. I've got a giant black balloon and then a pack each of pink and blue confetti so when we find out, I'll stick the appropriate one in the balloon, and our son can burst it to find out if he's having a brother or a sister.

IKEA are good for cots, and not too pricey either.

One of the girls in work was saying you would pick up a few good deals - if you knew what you were after it would be very handy do a bit of online shopping.
    I'm due 20th Jan and haven't decided on type of buggy to get yet I wonder would it be too late to leave it until then to see if there would be deals on them :)

Great idea about finding out the gender. My big scan is in 2 weeks, will be keepign it a surprise though!

monalisa7 wrote: »
    Hi all! I am due Jan 29th - first baby so very new to all this! Just wondering if anyone has advice on connecting with other new mothers after birth - I hear it can be lonely and am conscious that social support is important in our wellbeing. Thanks :)

Same here - my first is due 20th Jan. Would be interested to hear about this too!

Same here - my first is due 20th Jan. Would be interested to hear about this too!

I didn't do any of the mum groups on my first because I had a couple of friends who were expecting at the same time as me, and also my husband's family is huge and they're constantly popping out sprogs, so I was in good company. :pac:

I know a couple of my friends made connections at local mother and toddler groups, and also one of them went to the breastfeeding clinic that the Public Health Nurse runs, so got chatting to other new mums that way.

• Advertisement

I was only 24 with my first child and feel like I spoke to nobody at all for those 6 months of maternity leave, horrible thinking back on it. When I had my 2nd daughter 4 years later I pushed myself to get out from when she was 2 weeks old and joined a Mother/Baby group (the public health nurse should have a list of them)and a breastfeeding group and made the effort (really hard sometimes) to go every week and made the best of friends. I think since then there's loads on Facebook too. What area are you in?

It's the best of times but also the loneliest.

I thought God everyone with a baby will want to talk, I was so wrong, I went to swimming when dd was 12 weeks, lovely group of mothers, the next round nobody spoke to anyone, some women just didn't care about talking to anyone. It took me about 9 months to go to the parent and toddler group and now I've managed to get them to change it to baby and toddler!
    I thought we'd get loads of people calling to us but was surprised at the lack of callers, I was so desperate for people to call at times. We live with my mil and she's useless to help!

God I was the opposite, I got one day out of the hospital when I was able to keep visitors at bay and then after that everyone landed in on top of us. I didn't mind so much if they called ahead to see if it was OK, but the amount of people who just arrived in unannounced was unreal! This time around I've told my husband that I want at least a week after we get home where we don't have any visitors, and we won't be entertaining anyone if I'm not feeling up to it - it'll be up to him to enforce that with his family :pac:

Has anyone else found the frequency of visits to the loo has increased a lot lately? I think the baby is using my bladder as a trampoline lately.

:pac:

Has anyone else found the frequency of visits to the loo has increased a lot lately? I think the baby is using my bladder as a trampoline lately.

yes! I'm going all the time, every bloody half hour or hour!

Oh good so it's not just me! It reminds me of when I was potty training my little boy but this time it's new that's got to be close to a bathroom!

Very much so! Bladder is slowly shrinking to the size of a walnut.

Is it supposed to be a full bladder or empty bladder for the 20 week scan? Mine's today and I need to know if there's a chance I might wet myself on the bus in :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Is it supposed to be a full bladder or empty bladder for the 20 week scan? Mine's today and I need to know if there's a chance I might wet myself on the bus in :o

Full! They took me early for mine and then gave out that my bladder wasnt full so was sent away again :rolleyes:

Ah feck. Do you reckon a half litre of water would be enough? I don't think I could hold anymore, seeing as I'm currently gestating the next Michael Flatley and my bladder is the new favourite dancefloor :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Ah feck. Do you reckon a half litre of water would be enough? I don't think I could hold anymore, seeing as I'm currently gestating the next Michael Flatley and my bladder is the new favourite dancefloor :pac:

Haha I dont know, they told me to drink another litre and then come back. I am peeing so often but found drinking that much at once it didnt affect my need to pee straight away, took a while to filter down so was ok til after the scan.

Advertisement