Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2018 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

We have the silvercross pioneer in red, we needed biggish wheels for the country roads, the carrycot on that is suitable for overnight sleeping too, don't think we ever used it. We have a Jane 3 wheeler for the farm. Not too sure what to do when 2nd baby comes along. I thought dd was against the buggy but in the last few days she's started using it again!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Hahaha you're like me so can't leave a good bargain. I'll wait until after the 20 week scan and then order it I think.

Separate question - I plan on breastfeeding, should I get some bottles and a steriliser just in case it doesn't work?

I'm hoping to breastfeed as well, but I figured there's bound to be a point where I'll have to leave the baby with someone else so I can express and leave them milk and bottles.

Actually, does anyone know if it's ok to heat breastmilk in a bottle warmer? Last time around I just stood the bottle in a bowl of hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

lashes34 wrote: »
    Im due in December and just waited until after my 20 week scan. Apart from that all we have bought is a steriliser, few bottles, digital thermometer and a few bits of clothes!

Im planning on it as well but got them anyway, better to be organised I think than the stress of getting out to shops if it doesnt go to plan. Also I wont be breastfeeding until 1 year so will definitely need them.

Great to know, I see my families going overboard and I don't want to.
    You can argue both ways on this one - some say having them in the house makes it easier to give up when it gets tough and they are easily bought later if needed, but we did buy a Philips Avent set in the Christmas sales in Mothercare and did end up using everything in it even with breastfeeding to 15 months. Our set had a manual breast pump in it, a steam steriliser and lots of slow flow teats with the bottles.
    I see that argument but I am beyond stubborn and I think it would be more stressful (and upsetting) if I had to go buy them with a 2/3 week old. I will be annoyed enough if I can't breastfeed I think buying after would solidify the frustration - I fully know it's not a bad thing if I can't breastfeed it's just something, I personally, really want to do and believe in.
    Toots wrote: »
    I'm hoping to breastfeed as well, but I figured there's bound to be a point where I'll have to leave the baby with someone else so I can express and leave them milk and bottles.

Actually, does anyone know if it's ok to heat breastmilk in a bottle warmer? Last time around I just stood the bottle in a bowl of hot water.

My plan is to do that around 3 months when I am at a wedding :D

Thanks ladies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

My plan is to do that around 3 months when I am at a wedding :D

I read recently that you are better off introducing a bottle at 5/ 6 weeks as supply is established and the baby has their technique sorted. The article said any later than that the baby may refuse a bottle altogether. A friend of mine went back to work when her baby was 6 months old and the baby refused all fluids throughout the day as she only wanted the boob! She is 9 months old now and cluster feeds all night. The article advised not to over- do the bottle usage though if are planning on mostly breastfeeding- just a couple of times a week to get the baby used to them.

I was going to just buy one bottle each of a couple of brands specific for breastfed babies as I know they won't all suit and I would be p!ssed off if I spent €20 on a batch of bottles the baby hates!

I read recently that you are better off introducing a bottle at 5/ 6 weeks as supply is established and the baby has their technique sorted. The article said any later than that the baby may refuse a bottle altogether. A friend of mine went back to work when her baby was 6 months old and the baby refused all fluids throughout the day as she only wanted the boob! She is 9 months old now and cluster feeds all night. The article advised not to over- do the bottle usage though if are planning on mostly breastfeeding- just a couple of times a week to get the baby used to them.

I was going to just buy one bottle each of a couple of brands specific for breastfed babies as I know they won't all suit and I would be p!ssed off if I spent €20 on a batch of bottles the baby hates!

A friend recommended that alright, didn't say when and I was thinking about the 8 week mark, she said it makes it easier to wean. I think it also allows me time off and the dad some bonding time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

We started offering a bottle at 7 weeks, took about 2 weeks for him to get used to EBM in a bottle and he was a bit picky about temperature as well - had to be very close to body temperature. He could take ready to feed formula at room temperature by 4 months though if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Yeah with our first we left it too late to introduce the bottle with breastmilk and had a terrible time getting our daughter to take it-I had to do exams when she was around 5 months old and leave her for a full day and it was terrible, eventually she got it!
    With our second we started the bottle with expressed milk at around week 4 or 5 and it was such a relief when she took it then so once a day, most days, my husband would feed her my milk from a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Popping in from the dec thread! On the bottles, it's not recommended to express before 6weeks unless medically adviced (i.e. baby in in nicu) as you can create supply issues & nipple confusion. There's a lot of cluster feeding up to 6/7 weeks which is establishing supply so best to feed on demand. I would look into the source of any article recommending before 6week, formula is a huge industry!! Aptaclub and candgclub are paid for/ran by formula companies for example. I bought the tommee tippee sterilizer and bottle set while pregnant, never needed formula but all got used between expressing for weddings and hens:)

Popping in from the dec thread! On the bottles, it's not recommended to express before 6weeks unless medically adviced (i.e. baby in in nicu) as you can create supply issues & nipple confusion. There's a lot of cluster feeding up to 6/7 weeks which is establishing supply so best to feed on demand. I would look into the source of any article recommending before 6week, formula is a huge industry!! Aptaclub and candgclub are paid for/ran by formula companies for example. I bought the tommee tippee sterilizer and bottle set while pregnant, never needed formula but all got used between expressing for weddings and hens:)

That's what I thought but it's allll new so wasn't sure. Good to know, I would say I will have a hen at 8 weeks so will probably be the first time I express.

thanks

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Ugh, had a horrible nightmare last night that we went for a scan and they couldn't find a heartbeat. Feeling really on edge now :(

• Advertisement

Oh toots, I hate those dreams, they seem to happen so much more during pregnancy. They're so disturbing. Rarely do ye have dreams of having our baby in our arms! When is your next scan?

Not until 15th of September. I think if I could just feel the baby move a bit I'd feel a lot better, but so far he or she only moves late at night. My eldest was constantly on the go from very early on so it was reassuring cos I could feel the movements. This one is quieter though. I'm tempted to see can I get a private scan tomorrow but my hubby thinks I'm being paranoid.

Not until 15th of September. I think if I could just feel the baby move a bit I'd feel a lot better, but so far he or she only moves late at night. My eldest was constantly on the go from very early on so it was reassuring cos I could feel the movements. This one is quieter though. I'm tempted to see can I get a private scan tomorrow but my hubby thinks I'm being paranoid.
    Oh no that's awful. Toots if it puts your mind at ease I'd go. A month is a long time to be stressing. Paranoid or not, €120 is worth it.

I think I'm feeling little movements now, but it's hard to know. Hubby pointed out that I might be extra nervous because I'm heading into week 16, and my mum had a late miscarriage at 16 weeks. I think I will try and talk him into an extra scan though, if the movements don't start getting more obvious, otherwise I'll be worrying until September.

I my last pregnancy I didn't feel movement until after 20 weeks but I know you can feel then earlier on the second, I usually use the doppler when I'm worried, that can work the other way too, drive you mad when you can't find the heartbeat and think something is wrong but everything is fine. And the mad thing is once we start feeling regular movements then once we don't feel them regularly it's time to reach for a cold drink or some chocolate to get them moving again!

Pretty sure I've been feeling movements today so feeling reassured. I've my 16 week GP appointment this week so hopefully he'll be able to pick up the heartbeat on the Doppler and put my mind at ease. I've a home Doppler but I'm afraid to use it in case I can't find it yet and I'll just worry more. I had a look at my pregnancy journal from last time and I was feeling movement on #1 from 11 weeks on, but only got the heartbeat on my home Doppler at 18 weeks.

What does your movement feel like? I feel like I'm feeling movement today, it's actually like very light kicks! I'm really not sure!

Feels kinda like an octopus is doing somersaults in there! Kinda jiggly is the best way I could describe it. At the 12 week mark it was like very light flutters but now it's more "wriggling" sorta. With my first baby it felt like constant jiggling around, this one isn't as dramatic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

How are you feeling movement so soon Toots?! Thats crazy, I didnt feel anything until 19 weeks and will be 23 weeks tomorrow.

For me it feels like little pops at the start, now its stronger and really low down which is a bizarre feeling!

lashes34 wrote: »
    How are you feeling movement so soon Toots?! Thats crazy, I didnt feel anything until 19 weeks and will be 23 weeks tomorrow.

For me it feels like little pops at the start, now its stronger and really low down which is a bizarre feeling!

I had a kick/movement in the top left of my tummy the other day-enough to make me almost jump in fright, it almost hurt! I'm just gone 16weeks so I was really surprised. Third baby though so I don't know does that make any difference.

Are you feeling all good yourself Toots?
    I'm back at the hospital for the 20 week scan (think i'll be 21 weeks)mid September- I can't remember if I'm meant to have a Dr appointment before that or wait until 24 weeks?

• Advertisement

I think I felt movement so soon on #1 because he was the most insanely active baby ever. It was like riverdance in utero 24/7 with that child! And he's exactly the same on the outside - the only time he's not legging it around is when he's asleep. I think this time around, I felt it early cos I knew what to look for if you know what I mean.

I'm feeling pretty stressed the last few days, I'm still really unsettled from that nightmare and to add to that my dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer and will hopefully be starting treatment soon, so I'm worried about him too.

How are you guys all feeling? Can anyone still button up their jeans? :pac:

I'm at the 20 week in September too, but I've a GP check up this week. I didn't think I did, but he mentioned it when I was in with my son last week so I'll be off in with my jar of wee!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I think I felt movement so soon on #1 because he was the most insanely active baby ever. It was like riverdance in utero 24/7 with that child! And he's exactly the same on the outside - the only time he's not legging it around is when he's asleep. I think this time around, I felt it early cos I knew what to look for if you know what I mean.
    Same here with #1 - my son was insanely active. Flutters at 16 weeks, proper kicks at 18 weeks. I'm only 14 weeks with #2 (waves from February thread!) and have already felt some flutters this time...

Toots that's a lot to deal with. I know from experience that the dream will pass, it really does play on your mind for a while!
    I was talking to a girl yesterday and she said the gp is usually quite happy to do more regular check ups, the hospital just don't send you for many after the first pregnancy. I'd be happier if I had an appointment this week instead of waiting another two weeks.

Same here with #1 - my son was insanely active. Flutters at 16 weeks, proper kicks at 18 weeks. I'm only 14 weeks with #2 (waves from February thread!) and have already felt some flutters this time...
    I'm 28th of Jan, so could very well be in the February thread if this one decides to hang around past the due date.
    Toots that's a lot to deal with. I know from experience that the dream will pass, it really does play on your mind for a while!
    I was talking to a girl yesterday and she said the gp is usually quite happy to do more regular check ups, the hospital just don't send you for many after the first pregnancy. I'd be happier if I had an appointment this week instead of waiting another two weeks.
    You could give your GP a ring and ask would they see you. It's a very long wait between 12 and 20 weeks. :(

I'm 28th of Jan, so could very well be in the February thread if this one decides to hang around past the due date.

You could give your GP a ring and ask would they see you. It's a very long wait between 12 and 20 weeks. :(

I'm the 27th Jan so could be a February baby also-the last 2 were early but you never know.
    We're off on holidays for 2 weeks on Saturday so I might try and get a check up done before that otherwise yeah it is a long wait.

Yeah, if they're reluctant you could say that you want to be 100% that everything is ok before you go on hols. I couldn't see them having a problem with that.

My little boy was exactly 1 week overdue, although don't they say that subsequent babies are less likely to go over? I suppose we can take it that the babies will arrive at some point either in the last 2 weeks of January or the first 2 weeks of February :pac:

I just had a massively reassuring flurry of movements there, had a very strong sneeze, and the poor child was obviously woken from a nap and went bananas. It's the strongest I've felt it yet, so felt a whole lot better. :)

That's fantastic toots, I'd say it really put your mind at ease, that's the start of it now, I love when you can actually start seeing your stomach move with the kicks!!
    That's 3 of us due 27th and 28th! Once I have my next hospital appointment I'll know whether the date will be decided for me in having a section or I'll be allowed to choose!

Oooh, being able to choose would be very handy! Will they let you go full term or will it have to be a week or two early?

I had a third degree tear on my first pregnancy so they've requested my file from that, if that says definite section then I have no choice but if it says possible section then it's up to me. I will opt for natural if I get the choice. Only reason I had a tear was her hand came out up to her face, never felt a thing and I only had gas and air.

• Advertisement

Hopefully they'll give you the choice then. It'd be a bit of a fluke if this baby also came out with their hand up at their face. :pac: I had an episiotomy but didn't feel it being done at all (had an epidural) and I only found out afterwards when I noticed the consultant had been stitching away for a solid half hour. Was very relieved to hear it was an epidural and I hadn't literally torn myself a new arse :o

My SIL's cousin had her baby a few months before I did and she had a 4th degree tear and had to be taken off to theatre to be repaired, ended up doubly incontinent for months afterwards, so I was terrified the same thing would happen to me. Turned out she had undiagnosed GDD and the baby was an absolute whopper, she's very petite so with all things considered it's no wonder.

Advertisement