Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2018 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

I had a third degree tear on my first pregnancy so they've requested my file from that, if that says definite section then I have no choice but if it says possible section then it's up to me. I will opt for natural if I get the choice. Only reason I had a tear was her hand came out up to her face, never felt a thing and I only had gas and air.

I had a third degree tear on my first (had the epidural thankfully so didn't feel a thing). I was checked out and allowed to choose for my second- I had gas and air on my second and had a episiotomy and just a few stitches and recovered perfectly. Hopefully you'll get to choose too!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

That's what the consultant said was they'd do an episiotomy if they thought I needed it. I had such a great recovery, I did have to go to theatre for stitches bcos of the tear, seemingly there's a, b and c and then 4th degree and mine was 3c but thank God never had any problems with leaks!

Absolutely no dignity left now, ha!
    Feel like it's the longest week ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

Hi ladies, haven't posted in a while, good to see everyone is on track! Due mid Jan and the headaches and fatigue are back with a vengeance, had to skip work today went to bed at 930 last night, woke up exhausted and slept again until noon! Over 14 hours. Only woke up as my dog licked my face, I think he was worried I was dead! :D My iron was on the low side on my last check up so taking higher iron supplements.

That's funny you're feeling lots of kicking movement toots, im just feeling the odd flutter still. Really hope the headaches and tiredness stop :(

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

That's what the consultant said was they'd do an episiotomy if they thought I needed it. I had such a great recovery, I did have to go to theatre for stitches bcos of the tear, seemingly there's a, b and c and then 4th degree and mine was 3c but thank God never had any problems with leaks!

Absolutely no dignity left now, ha!
    Feel like it's the longest week ever!
    :pac: My favourite bit was when they stick a finger up your arse to make sure there isn't any tearing internally. Great craic that was! I got such a shock I just blurted out "Eh, sorry, did you just stick your finger up my arse?!?" Consultant nearly pissed herself laughing and so did my husband. The feckers :pac: I had the episiotomy and didn't feel it being done at all. AFAIK if you haven't had an epidural, they'll give you local anaesthetic beforehand anyway.
    mojesius wrote: »
    Hi ladies, haven't posted in a while, good to see everyone is on track! Due mid Jan and the headaches and fatigue are back with a vengeance, had to skip work today went to bed at 930 last night, woke up exhausted and slept again until noon! Over 14 hours. Only woke up as my dog licked my face, I think he was worried I was dead! :D My iron was on the low side on my last check up so taking higher iron supplements.

That's funny you're feeling lots of kicking movement toots, im just feeling the odd flutter still. Really hope the headaches and tiredness stop :(

I've had headaches the last few days, but I think it might have been the thundery weather - nothing today so far. It's a pain in the arse not being able to crack into the neurofen for the headaches. Mojesius you're dead right heading to bed, the fatigue probably makes the headaches worse, so a good sleep will hopefully make you feel better. :) Has the dog copped that there's anything going on yet? Last time around when the bump started moving, the poor dog didn't have a clue what was going on. She'd be sitting on my knee and then get a prod from the child and would look around at me as if to say "why are you disturbing my nap?"

Just back from the 16 week appointment at the GP and it went grand. BP was slightly above what it normally is, but he said considering the amount of stress lately, it was to be expected and he's not worried. Found the heartbeat with the doppler no bother, so it was lovely to hear. My little boy was with me, so he was chuffed to hear it too. Very relieved now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

Yeah, the normal things to curb tiredness (& headaches) like running, nurofen and lots of coffee are gone off the menu so think I'm just having a hard time adjusting. Feeling a lot better since my extended sleep. I tend to wake up early on weekends out of habit so can't remember the last lie in i had, looks like I needed one!

My dog has only noticed that I've been lazier and is probably happy that i'm not dragging him on 5k runs anymore so he can sniff and wander on our walks. He's been sleeping a lot snugglier with me and even sleeps tucked in against my belly - I tend to sleep better when he does this and don't have mad dreams, very strange indeed :D My husband on the other hand can't touch me when I'm asleep as apparantly I'm like a radiator on full blast, the dog loves heat, probably why he is snuggling.

@Toots, how did your dog adapt to the baby? I'm going to do a bit of research on it to ensure we're all prepared, did you have any issues?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The dog we had at the time was grand with the baby, she was a very smart little pooch, so once he arrived and she'd had a good sniff of him and realised he was a person, she was grand. She'd always perch herself where she could see him and keep an eye - like if he was having a nap in the pram, she'd be up on the back of the couch so she could look into the pram. Main issue was when he started playing with toys, a lot of the rattles and stuff looked a bit like the dog's toys, so we had to make sure they didn't decide to swap!

Sadly she passed away a year and a half ago. We've another dog (we got her when my son was 9 months old, so we had 2 dogs for a while) who is very protective of my son, so we're wondering how she'll be around the baby - she's never seen one. She's a massive staffie/lab cross so she's a big eejit but very loving. My main concern would be that if visitors came and tried to pick up the baby, would she get upset about it. :pac: I don't even know anybody with a newborn who could come and visit so she could see what's going to be arriving in a few months!

I think some trainers and stuff do classes on preparing to introduce your dog to a baby.

I think they say bring home a vest or something that smells like the baby and let the dog have a good sniff before the baby comes home. My brothers day could have been anywhere in the garden but once my nephew cried, the dog was straight over and she was the very same on the second child, always lay beside whatever the baby was in.
    Dogs can be amazing really.

How's everyone doing?

Was absolutely dying since Friday night, thought it was the flu, but turned out to be strep throat. Paracetamol was doing nothing for the pain, but when I went to the GP she said it was ok for me to take Solpadine - huge relief, I thought it was paracetamol or nothing!

She was saying that some codine based meds are safe to take during pregnancy but that you need to talk to your doc first before taking them - apparently there are certain stages of pregnancy that it's not recommended. It was good to know that there is actually an alternative if you're in a lot of pain though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,802 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'm the other half but I seen the thread and said id get involved :) 
    We had our second scan yesterday at 21 weeks and it was great , everything looks well and healthy which is all you can ask for, My other half is a real worrier and it really put her at ease which made my day,  
    Can't wait now for the arrival date which is due for the 1st of January ,

Oooh, so we could be seeing you two in the news on New Years day!

• Advertisement

Toots wrote: »
    Its our first so id say it'll go over

Its our first so id say it'll go over

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lmc106

I'm super confused about the appointment schedule- I had my first scan at the Coombe and I thought my next one wasn't until September and I would be just seeing my GP in the meantime, but they just sent me a letter that I missed an appointment last week? I've rescheduled it and the lady from the Coombe told me to call my GP to schedule a checkup in the meantime. I had just woken up so didn't think to ask what in the world this next appt is for then if not a checkup... aren't the next scans at 20 weeks? I'm only 17 weeks now.

Also I'm throwing up a LOT more often lately as well- I can't really keep food down until the evenings. And weirdly McDonald's double cheeseburgers are one of the only things not coming back up immediately! I'm calling my doctor now but just wondering if anyone else is still getting sick quite often?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Do you have an appointment on the schedule at 16-18 weeks normally, and were you given anything at booking or your first scan? Probably a miscommunication on their part.

lmc106 wrote: »
    I'm super confused about the appointment schedule- I had my first scan at the Coombe and I thought my next one wasn't until September and I would be just seeing my GP in the meantime, but they just sent me a letter that I missed an appointment last week? I've rescheduled it and the lady from the Coombe told me to call my GP to schedule a checkup in the meantime. I had just woken up so didn't think to ask what in the world this next appt is for then if not a checkup... aren't the next scans at 20 weeks? I'm only 17 weeks now.

Also I'm throwing up a LOT more often lately as well- I can't really keep food down until the evenings. And weirdly McDonald's double cheeseburgers are one of the only things not coming back up immediately! I'm calling my doctor now but just wondering if anyone else is still getting sick quite often?

Is it your first pregnancy? I had a 16 week appointment at the hospital on my first, but this time around the 16 week one was with my GP.

As regards the puking, mine's mostly worn off, but if I'm very tired then I'll still barf at the drop of a hat. My SIL has 4 kids and had morning sickness right the way through on all of them, like right up til the day she went into labour. It's not uncommon, although obviously not pleasant. I think on my first pregnancy, I had it until about 20 weeks, but it's stopped earlier this time.

No I don't remember getting any papers explaining the visits but I'll have a look again through my papers. I would have been 16 weeks last week so that makes sense then- just a pain they booked me at the farther location. Oh well!

Yep it's my first pregnancy - I hope I'm not like this the whole way through, I miss food so much ha!

Did they not give you a little appointment card with your next few appointments written in? I got that in Holles St with my first baby, and I'm in the Rotunda this time around, and got a little card from them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Did they not give you a little appointment card with your next few appointments written in? I got that in Holles St with my first baby, and I'm in the Rotunda this time around, and got a little card from them too.

Apparently not everyone gets them, just learned that recently!

Apparently not everyone gets them, just learned that recently!

Ah jaysus! If it wasn't for the little card, I'd probably forget every appointment :o

No appointment card but I'll be asking for one next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Ah jaysus! If it wasn't for the little card, I'd probably forget every appointment :o

I keep hospital appt letters on the fridge and get a text about them, I've forgotten about gp appts twice already :)

My GP texts before the appointments, but the hospital doesn't. I was meant to be in with the mental health midwives today (I had post natal depression last time) but because I'm still on antibiotics for the strep throat, I had to reschedule it. Not sure if I'm contagious or not. I think next time I'll be in now will be mid September for the 20 week scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Also I'm throwing up a LOT more often lately as well- I can't really keep food down until the evenings. And weirdly McDonald's double cheeseburgers are one of the only things not coming back up immediately! I'm calling my doctor now but just wondering if anyone else is still getting sick quite often?[/quote]

Sorry to hear you are still throwing up! I was vomiting for the first 16 weeks. I'm now 21weeks and its not too bad but like someone else said when I'm tired I vomit. So I try not to put myself in a position to become over tired! As for the McDonald's they were the only thing I could eat and not vomit on! Enjoy them I felt at least you were getting carbs from the bun and iron from the meat! Hopefully it will pass but horrible when you are in the middle of it... best of luck

How's everyone doing? Has anyone gotten their big scan yet?

I'm 18+1 today, so scan is just about a fortnight away. Dying to find out if it's a boy or a girl. I think you can find out on a private scan from week 18, but figured I'd try and save the money and hopefully they can tell me at the 20 week scan. :)

How's everyone doing? Has anyone gotten their big scan yet?

I'm 18+1 today, so scan is just about a fortnight away. Dying to find out if it's a boy or a girl. I think you can find out on a private scan from week 18, but figured I'd try and save the money and hopefully they can tell me at the 20 week scan. :)

My scan isn't until late September and I can't wait to find out! Everyone thinks I should leave it as a surprise but I think it will be surprising enough to meet the little one and to see how little sleep they let me have ha! We're going to have the result sealed in an envelope and a chef friend will bake us a "reveal" cake that we can cut into with family and friends later :D

Hey ladies, had my first gp check up today, my doctor was on holidays but the guy there actually used the doppler which was nice, my doctor doesn't do it until well after 20 weeks! Got the whooping cough vaccine while I was there, they got a letter that it's going in the midlands and 5 babies got it, 1 baby died! I'd have gotten it anyway but she just asked if I wanted it there and then so might as well, the vaccine is free just to pay for administering it, €30!

Baby's been kicking away properly the last few days. Last night I had my hand low down on my belly and felt a kick from the outside - immidiately grabbed the hubby and got him to put his hand there and (typical) baby completely stopped moving. We were both laughing because our son did the exact same thing when I was pregnant with him! Both trying to wind Dad up :pac:

How's all the bumps doing?
    I'm back to work after nearly 3 weeks off and feel massive now.....nothing to do with all the croissants and fresh breads I was eating every day :P
    I don't have my big scan for another 3 weeks (had to postpone it twice) and just have the Dr this week.
    Anyone finding out the sex of the baby at their scan? I don't think we will but the temptation would be there!
    I bought a bundle of maternity clothes from NewLook the other day when they had 25% off,mostly dresses for work so hopefully they'll do me for the next 20 weeks!!

I'm hoping to find out the gender at my scan next Friday. Hopefully the baba will co-operate and not get shy all of a sudden! Seeing as how we've already got a little boy, I'd like to know if this one's a boy or a girl so I'll know whether I need to get a few pink bits in time for the birth. The cot sheets and cellular blankets we have are all blue, so if it's a girl we'll have to get a few more girly bits. And also a couple of outfits, obviously. If it's a boy we'll get him a new outfit for coming home from the hospital, but not too much stuff seeing as how they grow out of it so fast - all the stuff we had from last time round is practically brand new still.

With our first baby, I wanted to find out but my husband didn't, so the sonographer told him to look away, then she turned the screen towards me and I could clearly see little boy parts :pac: After the scan we got as far as the corner of Merrion Square before the husband caved and made me tell him whether it was a boy or girl!

• Advertisement

Yeah we've 2 girls and a tiny house so for practical reasons we probably should find out and either get rid of stuff or just get organised-just worried I'd regret finding out if I did!! Then again it's always going to be a surprise whenever we find out:)

Advertisement