Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January 2018 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

I'm back in the hospital tomorrow morning- I had the big scan last week but cancelled it twice so these 2 appointments are close together.
    All went well at the big scan-so tempted to find out the sex of the baby but my husband didn't want to so I decided to leave it. I was afraid i'd regret it.

We've 2 girls already and if one more person says to me " I bet you're hoping for a boy" i'll explode!! From what they can tell at that scan everything looks good and that's the main thing.

We've started the name search also-nothing I'm loving at the minute! Any one decided on names?

We should have a roll call here for January, not sure how best to do it??

I'm the 27th January

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I saw a pregnancy t-shirt online that said "actually we're hoping it's a dinosaur" you should get that!!

I'm 28th of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

I'm the 27th of Jan.
    Been trying to find girls names, more or less decided on a boys name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

At the hospital appointment this morning we met with a lovely midwife and when we said we had 2 girls she was like oooooh fingers and everything crossed for a boy so:rolleyes:

Had a quick scan also and all is good.

Cool so:

Saggycaggy: 27th January
    New Farmers Wife: 27th January
    Toots: 28th January

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

I'm 20th January :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,860 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

My Missus is the 1st so only 13 weeks to go :) 
    Its our first so I'm hoping its a few days early just to make Christmas that more special this year,

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lmc106

I’m the 29th of January 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭figrolls

My Missus is the 1st so only 13 weeks to go :) 
    Its our first so I'm hoping its a few days early just to make Christmas that more special this year,

Haha, we're the opposite, I'm due 30th December and my husband is hoping I'll hold on til the 1st as apparently it makes a big difference in sports!

That and it would be handy as out health insurance renews on 1st January and newborns are free until next renewal, so could get the year out of it if he/she doesn't make an appearance til the new year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That is true re sports - a child born 31 December plays a year ahead of one born 1 January.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

I’m the 3rd January and husband wanting January too for sport!!

Anyone starting to feel very pregnant lately? I’m 27 weeks and the extra weight gain I’m really starting to feel it!!!

• Advertisement

Pocos wrote: »

Anyone starting to feel very pregnant lately? I’m 27 weeks and the extra weight gain I’m really starting to feel it!!!

I'm 25 and a half weeks at this stage and I feel so big - probably the bump in proportion to my body ! But don't really feel the weight too much.

I do the Bump Classes - pregnancy pilates once a week and do an hours swimming once a week and just a small bit of stretching during the week. Hopefully it will all benefit.

Has everyone started to get bits at this stage? I've sorted the buggy, car seat, carry cot - went with the Quinny Buzz Xtra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,860 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

donkey10 wrote: »

I'm 25 and a half weeks at this stage and I feel so big - probably the bump in proportion to my body ! But don't really feel the weight too much.

I do the Bump Classes - pregnancy pilates once a week and do an hours swimming once a week and just a small bit of stretching during the week. Hopefully it will all benefit.

Has everyone started to get bits at this stage? I've sorted the buggy, car seat, carry cot - went with the Quinny Buzz Xtra

We got buggy ,car seat and carry cot and also a few nappies and small bits,
    I think the next few weeks we will start to get the hospital bag bits ready, I think its nice on the weekend to go out as a couple to get baby bits its very exciting,

It's funny im still so skeptical and dont want to get too much. Hubby is the same we are kinda saying we will wait until Xmas before getting clothes and that.

At least we do have the buggy etc....a few bits out of the way!

Is that the bumproom classes you do?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I've the buggy/carseat/base ordered, and we're paying bits off it every month so we don't have to pay the full whack when we pick it up at the start of January - I'd like to have it all paid off before Christmas so it's out of the way. We've also got a steriliser and bottle set, planning to breastfeed but it'll be no harm in having it for soothers or if I've to leave baba with a family member. We got that very early on but it was something like 70% off on Prime Day. This is our second baby, so we've already got a lot of the big stuff, if it's a boy we're sorted for clothes, if it's a girl we'll have to buy a few bits. I've a list of about 10 or so things we need to get, so I'm planning on getting a few every month between now and Christmas.

I've found my bump has gotten pretty heavy feeling in the last week or so, like if I go out and I'm walking around for a long time, I can start to feel it very heavy right at the sides where the skin is stretching.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

It's funny im still so skeptical and dont want to get too much. Hubby is the same we are kinda saying we will wait until Xmas before getting clothes and that.

At least we do have the buggy etc....a few bits out of the way!

I'm exactly the same! My husband is sick of telling me that jinxing it isn't a real thing but I'm so nervous! I've had to get my act together a little bit though as a colleague's wife just had her first 4 weeks early so now I'm panicking that if I leave it to January, baba will make a surprise entrance and nothing will be done!!:rolleyes:

On my first we had a load of baby stuff but didn't actually bring any of it into the apartment until the baby was born - we left it in my Mum's and my husband brought it up when I was in the hospital. I think this time we'll build the cot the week before I'm due and put the buggy in the sitting room. Apparently they don't keep you in as long on second/subsequent babies, so there might not be enough time to get the stuff set up while I'm in hospital.

I’m the same so so so nervous about buying things! Afraid I’m jinxing is which I know is ridiculous! Kinda waiting till 30 weeks and then I’ll feel like I can start to get organised!

What travel system are people getting? I’m between the iCandy and Uppa Vista but really need to do much more research!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

For the roll call, my due date is 16th Jan.

We settled on a mamas and papas travel system, loved the buggy, seats etc and the style of it. It was a decent deal. Bought nothing else yet, although my mam found my old high chair in the attic so my husband's going to refurbish it for the little one.

Starting to really show now, not.enjoying the train commute too much these days and headaches are pretty much constant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

I’m the same so so so nervous about buying things! Afraid I’m jinxing is which I know is ridiculous! Kinda waiting till 30 weeks and then I’ll feel like I can start to get organised!

What travel system are people getting? I’m between the iCandy and Uppa Vista but really need to do much more research!
    I'm not due till 6 February and don't want to jinx it either but we really ordered the buggy already because the colour we wanted in the uppababy vista was on a 3 month back order :o I thought it was nuts but it was the one I wanted.

We went with the Vista as well. Bella Baby in Dundrum had a good deal on it where you got the maxi cosi cabrio fix and the base with it as well. I'm not sure if the deal is still on, but we ordered ours in August for collection at the start of January and we can pay it off in bits while we're waiting for it to come in, which is handy.

We're most likely going for the Out n About Nipper double (22.5 month gap with a late walker and I want to be able to run with both kids) but holding on to our single Baby Jogger City Mini and carriers as well as there will be times when a side by side double isn't appropriate.

I'm probably going to get the Maxi-Cosi Cabriofix as well, we don't tend to use travel system functionality though.

Is that the bumproom classes you do?

Yup thats the one. I always did the reformer pilates before i was pregnant so i wanted to keep pilates going. Its great to be doing something coz id feel lazy otherwise

I'm exactly the same! My husband is sick of telling me that jinxing it isn't a real thing but I'm so nervous! I've had to get my act together a little bit though as a colleague's wife just had her first 4 weeks early so now I'm panicking that if I leave it to January, baba will make a surprise entrance and nothing will be done!!:rolleyes:

Well a girl where my sisters teaching just lost her baby at 6 months. At that stage youd have thought everything was on the safe side. Id be afraid of going early too but i think if we have buggy, carry cot, cat seat few baby groes etc we will be fine hopefully!

Yeah 30 weeks is a good time i think sure if we have the basics we should be fine hopefully.
    Went went the quinny buzz xtra system mothercare had a brill deal for 750euro for all that (stroller, bassinet, car seat and isofix base and carry cot) i just thought the silvercross ones are very big and bulky for going around shops etc.

• Advertisement

Well a girl where my sisters teaching just lost her baby at 6 months. At that stage youd have thought everything was on the safe side. Id be afraid of going early too but i think if we have buggy, carry cot, cat seat few baby groes etc we will be fine hopefully!

I remember my mum had a miscarriage when we were kids, and when we were older she told us she was about 18 weeks along when it happened. She was saying at that stage she thought she was home and dry, so she found it really hard to accept that it had happened.

That being said, I'd say it'd be an absolute nightmare to try and get everything sorted if you didn't buy anything before the baby is born. Imagine being in the hospital and having to send the OH out with a massive shopping list so the child wouldn't have to go home in the nip!

Yup thats the one. I always did the reformer pilates before i was pregnant so i wanted to keep pilates going. Its great to be doing something coz id feel lazy otherwise

I'm doing the bumproom classes too.

We're off to the baby fair tomorrow, being our second we don't need a huge amount but we'll go for a look anyway

I'm doing the bumproom classes too.

We're off to the baby fair tomorrow, being our second we don't need a huge amount but we'll go for a look anyway

They are great im doing them in clarecastle. Saw that was on this weekend, would you get good deals at it?

Toots wrote: »
    I remember my mum had a miscarriage when we were kids, and when we were older she told us she was about 18 weeks along when it happened. She was saying at that stage she thought she was home and dry, so she found it really hard to accept that it had happened.

That being said, I'd say it'd be an absolute nightmare to try and get everything sorted if you didn't buy anything before the baby is born. Imagine being in the hospital and having to send the OH out with a massive shopping list so the child wouldn't have to go home in the nip!

Ya totally agree with you that would be a nightmare!

Thanks all. Between forms and talking to other parents there really doesn’t seem to be one clear choice in relation to travel systems! It really does look like it’s coming down to personal choice and everyone looking for something slightly different!

Anyone been told the begone carry cot is safer than the maxi cosi? Our local baby store has said that but most stores seem to sell the maxi cosi so I’m not sure Is it just a gimmick.

Baby number one here so really we don’t have a clue! 28 weeks this week so roll on last trimester!!!

• Advertisement

Thanks all. Between forms and talking to other parents there really doesn’t seem to be one clear choice in relation to travel systems! It really does look like it’s coming down to personal choice and everyone looking for something slightly different!

Anyone been told the begone carry cot is safer than the maxi cosi? Our local baby store has said that but most stores seem to sell the maxi cosi so I’m not sure Is it just a gimmick.

Baby number one here so really we don’t have a clue! 28 weeks this week so roll on last trimester!!!
    That's what I found with travel systems - all offer something different but all the "same" essentially and it's really personal choice.

A friend who is a dr got the maxi cosi for her two boys and said it's the only one she would use so that's what I am going with. It's also the one most of my friends have to clearly it's a good choice. I am also a first time mum so similarly clueless.

I am trying to buy maternity trousers that aren't black - it's painful :mad::rolleyes:

Gap have quite a few pairs of coloured maternity chinos at the moment if they're any use, also some navy and grey dress trousers.

That's what I found with travel systems - all offer something different but all the "same" essentially and it's really personal choice.

A friend who is a dr got the maxi cosi for her two boys and said it's the only one she would use so that's what I am going with. It's also the one most of my friends have to clearly it's a good choice. I am also a first time mum so similarly clueless.

I am trying to buy maternity trousers that aren't black - it's painful :mad::rolleyes:

New look have lovely jeggings that resemble skinny jeans if your interested in lookin, i got a black and denim pair only 25e each

I found a nice pair of boyfriend maternity jeans on a website called bon-prix. I hadn't used them before, but googled "maternity boyfriend jeans" and hey presto, that site came up! They're the comfiest jeans ever! I had a look through all their maternity stuff and they've got a good variety of maternity trousers in more colours than just black.

Thanks ladies. I love gap but I'm not sure what size I am. I've gotten large bottoms and large dresses and the dresses are too big but I can get away with it. Also the trousers I like are €65 and they don't have a sale yet. H&M had a lovely pair and I hesitated in buying and they were gone.

I'll check out new look and the place you mentioned Toots. Thanks.

Toots when is your repeat 22 week scan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Tea and cake, if you sign up for a gap account they will send you discount codes practically every week. I'm demented by them!

Next Monday, I'll be 25+1 but I've got the 24 week GP appointment this week. The kid better co-operate this time!

bee06 wrote: »
    Tea and cake, if you sign up for a gap account they will send you discount codes practically every week. I'm demented by them!

Excellent. Thanks! I thought it was rare.

I find Gap maternity jeans run slightly big, I was a 14 pre-pregnancy this time, a 10-12 last time and my size 12 maternity jeans from Gap still have plenty of room - which is a good thing because I was enormous in the third trimester last time.

I find Gap maternity jeans run slightly big, I was a 14 pre-pregnancy this time, a 10-12 last time and my size 12 maternity jeans from Gap still have plenty of room - which is a good thing because I was enormous in the third trimester last time.

Excellent. I'll keep an eye. Better than H&M so. I'm a 12/14 on the bottom and a size 16 in H&M. That's even pre pregnancy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Excellent. Thanks! I thought it was rare.

I actually got a code this morning after I posted. 40% off full price items with the code SECRETGAP hopefully it works! It's valid until tomorrow.

bee06 wrote: »
    I actually got a code this morning after I posted. 40% off full price items with the code SECRETGAP hopefully it works! It's valid until tomorrow.
    Just got that too! Thanks.

Excellent. I'll keep an eye. Better than H&M so. I'm a 12/14 on the bottom and a size 16 in H&M. That's even pre pregnancy!

Similar here - my size 14 H&M maternity straight leg jeans are quite tight! At least I only paid a tenner for them reduced in the sale.

I'm pretty sure my arse sets off some sort of alarm when I go into a H&M :( I've never been able to find stuff to fit me in there.

I see dunnes and tesco still have the pampers offers on, are they worth stocking up on?

Having them lingering around the house for months would annoy me a bit tbh - but if you have the space and the price is right (if anyone near the border is near an Asda giga packs are £8 at the moment, we have a couple of big bags of size 5 in the house!) I'd consider getting at least two giga packs of size 2 and maybe one of size 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Hi ladies,

Any recommendations for bouncer/swing seats for newborns until they can sit up? There's so much choice :confused:

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭annettea

Hi ladies,
    How are ye? I haven't posted in ages but hope everyone is keeping well.
    I bought the nappies in Dunne's but noticed the bags are cheaper than the boxes , stocked up on wipes , you can use the 10euro voucher when you spend over 50 so basically I've been getting free nappies , as I put a bag in the trolley with my shopping , ;)
    My friend got me a huge box of baby essentials when my little girl was born and I asked her was it not very expensive and she said she bought something once a week , so I've been doing that since I hit the 20 weeks :)
    I'm in the third trimester now which is very scary because I'm really scared about labour and about my little girl on how she is going to take it. At the minute she's excited and I put her hand on my tummy when the baby kicks but you know yourself it's not the same , she is very spoiled with love and wakes in the night because she is lonely and I'm trying to get her to sleep all night in bed especially before this baby comes but it's not working. She is 4and a half. So I'm just worried and about routine with school and everything ..

Found out the gender today! We're having a girl!!

• Advertisement

Toots wrote: »
    Found out the gender today! We're having a girl!!

Congratulations :) is your son happy? Did they get what they needed at this scan?

Advertisement