Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with graphics card?

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Another option would be an RX580 8GB or RX480 8GB but if you're going with a 1060 definitely go for a 6GB model.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Another option would be an RX580 8GB or RX480 8GB but if you're going with a 1060 definitely go for a 6GB model.

Yeah so I struggle with naming conventions here. Is there any reason I should go for Radeon over Nvidia? Is there anything about my rig that might favour one or the other?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

errlloyd wrote: »
    Yeah so I struggle with naming conventions here. Is there any reason I should go for Radeon over Nvidia? Is there anything about my rig that might favour one or the other?

No I think you're good to go with either brand.

Okay thanks a mil, 1060s look like they have some half decent discounts right now. So I am leaning that way. That 6GB card is right on the price sweet spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What's your old graphics card? Or are you currently running without a dedicated card?

BF1 is heavily CPU dependent but not too taxing on the GPU. You can get cards 2nd hand like the R9 290 4GB or GTX780 for €120 which would be similar in performance and run the game at 1080p ultra.

• Advertisement

What's your old graphics card? Or are you currently running without a dedicated card?

BF1 is heavily CPU dependent but not too taxing on the GPU. You can get cards 2nd hand like the R9 290 4GB or GTX780 for €120 which would be similar in performance and run the game at 1080p ultra.

I have a AMD Radeon R9 360 Series - it was budget when I bought it a year ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Oh, in that case a GTX1060 6GB or RX480 8GB would be an absolutely massive upgrade! The R7 360 isn't even as fast as a GTX750Ti. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If you're going to upgrade your monitor I'd go AMD as they use a generic standard called Freesync. It'll mean a chaepr better monitor down the line.

If you're going to upgrade your monitor I'd go AMD as they use a generic standard called Freesync. It'll mean a chaepr better monitor down the line.

Dang - I ordered the 6GB GTX 1060 yesterday, it'll arrive tomorrow. I have to say, this is easily the most I have ever spent on a rig. Although it nothing too special, I am really looking forward to it!

I probably will upgrade my monitor soon - mine is pretty budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

errlloyd wrote: »
    Dang - I ordered the 6GB GTX 1060 yesterday, it'll arrive tomorrow. I have to say, this is easily the most I have ever spent on a rig. Although it nothing too special, I am really looking forward to it!

I probably will upgrade my monitor soon - mine is pretty budget.

1060 is a great card and you'll get a lot of fun out of it so well worth the money! Realistically GSync isn't that important if you've not had or before and it's not mad money to get a Gsync monitor if you wanted one when you do upgrade.

• Advertisement
Advertisement