Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have to send back insurance disc. At my own expense.

• 26-05-2017 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭

I received my renewal for insurance which was over 50% price increase despite no change to my profile. They sent me new insurance disc and just assumed I'd allow them to take direct debits.

I asked them to come down to a price I'd been offered by another crowd. They refused, so I took out a policy with another company. I sent them an email and told them to cancel the policy and not to take any further direct debits but they told me in order for them to stop billing me they want me to send back the disc.

It's more a matter of principle but why should I pay to send them back a disc for for a renewal I choose not to take? According to the law

"The Regulations require motor vehicle owners to remove insurance discs and return such discs to insurance companies when disposing of vehicles or following the termination or suspension of relevant motor insurance policies."

I didn't terminate this policy, it's not even in effect so can I tell them to just **** off and cancel direct debit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Isn't there almost always a ten-day cooling off period?

You can just cancel the DDs with your bank anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It'll only cost you a Euro to send the disc back, hardly worth arguing about.

Of they've already taken a debit, you can get it returned under SEPA rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would just send it back. Life is too short imo. However if you really feel.like that ring them and ask them to send you a prepaid envelope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

You get your renewel quote a couple of weeks before your insurance runs out, you receive your disc a few days after your start date, me thinks you didn't actually inform them you weren't renewing until after you received your disc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Has the company got any branches or brokers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

davo10 wrote: »
    You get your renewel quote a couple of weeks before your insurance runs out, you receive your disc a few days after your start date, me thinks you didn't actually inform them you weren't renewing until after you received your disc.

In fairness, my new disc always comes with the renewal quote weeks before it's due.

OP, it's €1 just post it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭vandriver

davo10 wrote: »
    My renewal is July 29th.I received the renewal proposal plus the disc and policy in today's post.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Miaireland wrote: »
    I would just send it back. Life is too short imo. However if you really feel.like that ring them and ask them to send you a prepaid envelope
    But then the OP has to pay for a call
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Send it without a stamp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

vandriver wrote: »
    My renewal is July 29th.I received the renewal proposal plus the disc and policy in today's post.

Over 2 months early ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I had same problem before. If you read the small print it will say that the policy will be automatically renewed.
    I had to post back too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭vandriver

Over 2 months early ????
    Yes,it surprised me.Im assuming it's a clever bit of inertia selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

RSA gave me the new insurance disc 2 months before my insurance ran out! Other companies wouldn't let me buy from them because it was over 30 days out.. Thankfully Allianz were able to accomodate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

If that was me I'd have lost it. :-)

Advertisement