Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bias moderation on A&P Forum

Options
  • 26-05-2017 1:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

I am a tenant and having difficulties so I came to boards.ie to seek advise, I don't expect to be judged as a less than desirable person because I want to follow the advice of the RTB.

Looking at the A&P forum it seems anyone advocating on behalf of tenants is shot down and their character is fair game while landlords are seen as victims.

Take Moderator the Conductor, who believes there's too much legislation in favour of tenants, can someone advise if this is bias?

The tenant is not entitled to make up the law as they go along- Lord knows there is plenty of law there protecting them as is.

Taken from Advice on terminating lease post #14

Wednesday Conductor accused me of attacking a poster, i have seen numerous posters ask people trying to derail threads if they have anything to add. Fian went personal instead of advising anything.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gizmo81 View Post
    Thanks for your judgement on a situation you know nothing about! Anything of value to add to my query?

I don't believe it is a mistake.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fian View Post
    Probably.

If you invoked that type of pedantry to get around the notice your landlord is likely to actively seek to evict you. You clearly understand that it is a typo/mistake.

However, trying to instil a fear of homelessness in tenants for following the advice of the RTB goes unchallenged. Pedant is never used in a positive light.
    Then The Conductor infracted me because after numerous attacks on me not on my query i said

On this thread I've been call a weasel, compared to law breakers and accusing of a lack of intelligence, posters have tried to instil a fear in me of becoming homeless for following the law, all from asking some clarity on the RTB information on What makes a Rent Review Valid?

https://www.rtb.ie/rent-pressure-zones/rent-reviews

It's disappointing but what I've come to expect.

I pay my rent on time, I keep the property in great condition. I report an issues as they arise. I am the perfect tenant.

On the other hand the landlord and their representative have abandoned their obligations, maintenance. Our goodwill is running out.

There is no right to a rent review until the expiry of 24 months for tenancies that began before 24th December 2016.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2.../en/html#sec25

An exemption for 'substantial refurbishment' is not an exemption for fulfilling minimum standards obligations.

A landlord should make sure they are compliant with their obligations before a representative fires off a rent review notice which not only contains alleged typos but also a rent review they have not right to do.

Also trying make me fearful of becoming homeless is not going to work. Of the 6 grounds for terminating a tenancy only 2 could be invoked, selling and family members.

I don't think I did anything wrong here. I felt very attacked for asking a simple question which for the most part I didn't get advise I got judgements on my character.

After disputing this I got the infraction removed but told it was all my fault and my posting style needs to change.

I don't know what could change on the thread I did nothing wrong. I didn't shoot down anyone, bar asking for a reference. Which I think is fair and asked across different forums here.

As Mike.ie points out I started a simple yes or no thread, but where our opinions depart is that I didn't get yes or no answers I got all manner of uncivil character judgements.

Finally, one of the accusations was for trolling, which is unbelievable reading my few comments on the thread. Then I get accused of abusing the report function after being told to report. I think I reported 3/4 posts.

If anyone is wasting anyones time it's the mods accusing me of all manner of things. I am literally afraid to post because as the Conductor said the mods can interpret it as they want.

Twice on the thread I was told that my landlord would seek to evict me for following the RTB guidelines. This is typical of the culture of fear posters are creating in the A&P forum.

I just want advice and to share any information I've learned.

Can this post be taken as a complaint on the posters I've pointed out or do I have to do that elsewhere?
    I understand I am new here and people have been here longer.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You can report the posts that you feel break the Boards rules and the A&P charter, and the mods will take action where warranted.

However, please bear in mind that spurious Reported posts or abuse of the report post function can cause mod action to be taken.

So please, carefully evaluate if a post is breaking the rules before you report it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Thank you Dudara,

I honestly felt the posts I reported were an attack on me not my query. In the least they were uncivil.

I understand this is now open to interpretation by the mods and I've been accused of abusing it.

Paul W edited Zulu's comment about me being/or behaving as a weasel, so in this instance I'm guessing I'm not being charged with abusing the report button.

I think I reported 3 other posts where i felt they were personal rather than addressing the post.

I think given what was happening on the thread reporting the posts were valid.

dudara wrote: »
    You can report the posts that you feel break the Boards rules and the A&P charter, and the mods will take action where warranted.

However, please bear in mind that spurious Reported posts or abuse of the report post function can cause mod action to be taken.

So please, carefully evaluate if a post is breaking the rules before you report it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Very very few issues are a simple Yes/No answer. This is especially the case when it comes to law. Seldom are things just black and white, as there is a lot of interpretation involved. Ask 10 solicitors the same legal query and I promise you won't get the same answer 10 times.

On Boards.ie you get opinion. Everyone has an opinion, some are more valid than others, depending on the information they are asked to give an opinion on. If you don't like the opinion someone gives then move on and read the next post. But, just because they don't agree with your view, or you don't agree with theirs, doesn't make them wrong. Nor does it always mean that they are attacking you. People on boards generally don't know anything about the other person asking a question, so seldom is there a direct personal reaction. They react to posts and what is posted.

To clarify, I am neither a landlord nor tenant, but I would agree with the opinion that, in general, there is much more protection for a tenant than a landlord. It's how the law is written.

Like in everything, there are good and bad landlords, and good and bad tenants. You usually hear the bad side of things rather than the good. It's human nature.

And the same is true about mods. Everyone is different and has a different view. Not all mods agree on topics, which is usually why there is more than 1 mod per section, to try to balance discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

gizmo81 wrote: »
    As Mike.ie points out I started a simple yes or no thread, but where our opinions depart is that I didn't get yes or no answers I got all manner of uncivil character judgements.

For what it's worth, I'd be quite disappointed in any poster who would simply post 'yes' or 'no', without also posting their opinion as to why they believe it's yes or no. I thought that was implicit in what I posted.

These are the posts following my original post; These post have been labelled as attacking, snide, aggressive, confrontational, trolling. I

Deleted post

Thanks for your judgement on a situation you know nothing about! Anything of value to add to my query??

I don't believe it is a mistake.

Post #4

I believe that it is an intentional mistake that is for their own gain.?

Post #7

A landlord cannot evict you for paying attention to the RTB advice on?

What makes a Rent Review Notice valid?
    It must state the amount of new rent and the date from which is to have effect.
    It must include a statement that a dispute must be referred to the Board on the expiry of 28 days from the receipt by the tenant of that notice or the date the new rent takes effect.
    It must include a statement by the landlord that it is their opinion that the new rent is not greater than market rent having regard to the other terms of the tenancy, letting values of dwellings of a similar size, type and character and situated in a comparable area.
    It must specify the rent amount for three comparable dwellings of a similar size, type and character and situated in a comparable area.
    It must include the date on which the notice is signed.
    It must be signed by the landlord or his/her authorised agent.
    A landlord is also required to notify the RTB of the revised rent so that the registrations details can be updated.
    If the dwelling is located within a Rent Pressure Zone, the Formula must be included. See further information on this below.

I follow the law.?

Post #9

Can you please reference this statement? Thank you?

Post #13

Thank you, however, it's not a termination, it's a rent review.?

Post #19

On this thread I've been call a weasel, compared to law breakers and accusing of a lack of intelligence, posters have tried to instil a fear in me of becoming homeless for following the law, all from asking some clarity on the RTB information on What makes a Rent Review Valid???

It's disappointing but what I've come to expect.?

I pay my rent on time, I keep the property in great condition. I report an issues as they arise. I am the perfect tenant.?

On the other hand the landlord and their representative have abandoned their obligations, maintenance. Our goodwill is running out.?

There is no right to a rent review until the expiry of 24 months for tenancies that began before 24th December 2016.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2.../en/html#sec25

An exemption for 'substantial refurbishment' is not an exemption for fulfilling minimum standards obligations.?

A landlord should make sure they are compliant with their obligations before a representative fires off a rent review notice which not only contains alleged typos but also a rent review they have not right to do.?

Also trying make me fearful of becoming homeless is not going to work. Of the 6 grounds for terminating a tenancy only 2 could be invoked, selling and family members.

Post #23

Apologies, no I did not contact the representative of the landlord.?
    I have referred a dispute to the RTB for adjudication as per the notice received by the representative of the landlord.

Post #24

I am in an RPZ.?
    No I am not below market rent.?
    Sadly the increase isn't 4% it's 19%
    It's not a fair period, the landlord must wait 24 months.

Post #26

Thank you. i had looked at this. The calculator informs me:
    Review date must be greater than 24 months!
    We are only in the property since the first quarter of 2016 when the current rent was set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

gizmo - what are you trying to achieve here? Posting teams of posts from another forum is not particularly helpful in trying to figure out what you want to achieve.

Apologies I thought i was helping.

dudara wrote: »
    gizmo - what are you trying to achieve here? Posting teams of posts from another forum is not particularly helpful in trying to figure out what you want to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

People have opinions different to you, it's life, get over it.

I completely understand people have different opinions but I don't think that was the problem in this situation.
    People have opinions different to you, it's life, get over it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement