Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuses

Options
  • 26-05-2017 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I've just bought a car and the previous owner had a telematics device fitted to the car.

I got curious and said I'd have a look at it and I noticed there were two fuses attached to it.

I'm just curious as to why there would be two fuses for the one device?

I haven't a clue about this stuff so excuse me if it's a stupid question!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I am guessing here but I suspect that there may be two 12 volt suppliers going to the device and this requires two fuses. The first supply is permanent (always on) and is usually only a very low trickle current ( that wont drain the battery) that is perhaps used to retain settings and perhaps to do some minimal work such as keeping a time clock etc. The second supply probable comes via the ignition switch and is only present when the car is running.

This type of setup was common with radios in the past.

Advertisement