Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debit card charged twice

Options
  • 26-05-2017 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, my card was charged twice today as I took the card out too quickly the first time. When will the second payment go back in my account?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Tcleary wrote: »
    Hi, my card was charged twice today as I took the card out too quickly the first time. When will the second payment go back in my account?
    Hi Tcleary,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.

The second amount should automatically correct and can take up to five working days. As this happened today, you should see this corrected by next Friday.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Hi Tcleary,

The second amount should automatically correct and can take up to five working days. As this happened today, you should see this corrected by next Friday.

Thanks
    Tara
    Happened to me a few times. 
    What I can't grasp is, it comes out your account instantly, but can take up to 5 days for you to put it back..?????
    Same when you get a refund to your card.
    Can you explain the mechanics of this phenomenon..? 
    I'm pretty sure we'd all be interested in your reply..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Tcleary,

Thanks
    Tara
    What I can't grasp is, it comes out your account instantly, but can take up to 5 days for you to put it back..?????
    Hi georgefalls,

Thanks for your post.

When a card transaction is cancelled, voided or the authorisation code issued by the bank's system is not received by the retailer, the debit will appear as a pending payment for up to five working days. If the retailer fully processes the payment before this time frame, the transaction will move from pending payments to completed. Card payments that are not fully processed by retailers are removed from pending payments after five working days.

With card refunds, these are handled by the retailer so you'd need to ask them why it's taking them up to five days to credit your card.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Hi Tcleary,

Thanks
    Tara
    Hi georgefalls,

Thanks for your post.

When a card transaction is cancelled, voided or the authorisation code issued by the bank's system is not received by the retailer, the debit will appear as a pending payment for up to five working days. If the retailer fully processes the payment before this time frame, the transaction will move from pending payments to completed. Card payments that are not fully processed by retailers are removed from pending payments after five working days.

With card refunds, these are handled by the retailer so you'd need to ask them why it's taking them up to five days to credit your card.

Thanks
    Tara
    So what you're saying is: 
    Its the retailer that is hanging on to my cash, and not the bank.?
    That's good to know. Every time its happened to me, the salesperson has always blamed the banking system.
    Maybe some in house training from a bank rep wouldn't go amiss..? 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Hi Tcleary,

Thanks
    Tara
    Hi georgefalls,

Thanks for your post.

Thanks
    Tara
    So what you're saying is: 
    Its the retailer that is hanging on to my cash, and not the bank.?
    That's good to know. Every time its happened to me, the salesperson has always blamed the banking system.
    Maybe some in house training from a bank rep wouldn't go amiss..? 
    Hi georgefalls,

Thank you for the message. We have gone in to as much detail on this matter as we can here. If you have a query on a specific transaction on your account you can send a message through the "Ask a Question" section available on your banking 365 profile and an adviser would be happy to investigate this for you.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Advertisement
Advertisement