Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trawler Sinks off Skerries

Options
  • 26-05-2017 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

A search is underway after a small fishing vessel sank off the Dublin coast.

Two people were on board at the time.

One crewman has been found.

The Marine Rescue Coordination Centre say the recovered crewman was brought ashore.

He was handed over the HSE ambulance service and brought to hospital for medical treatment.

A search is continuing for the second crew member.

It is understood the RNLI and Coast Guard units are involved in the search

Please God not another tragedy

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/live-updates-one-rescued-fishing-13097643#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Update
    Irish Coast Guard Helicopter RESCUE116, RNLI, LE Orla, LE Niamh & an Air Corps Casa are all off Skerries on mission.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

hope he has his life jacket on... while the sea won't be warm at least it's a warm day

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I saw a Naval ship passing between Rush & Lambay Island about 20 minutes and there's a large military aircraft doing loops of the whole area,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

LE Orla was steaming up the coast at the time and LE Niamh wasn't far behind. Can see the Aer Corps Casa doing patterns at low level ~500ft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Survey vessel Keary might also be joining the effort. Looked to be leaving Howth at speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

tricky D wrote: »
    Survey vessel Keary might also be joining the effort. Looked to be leaving Howth with speed.

Keary now on station. Search still underway. Casa and R116 seem to have departed or maybe further down the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I just heard that the search moved south towards Shenick Island. Hopefully, this will have a happy ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

part of the wreck is visible in Skerries bay near the moored yachts and has been marked with an orange buoy - a rib with divers is close by

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

God help him, I hope he's found alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

God help him, I hope he's found alive.

Hope so,not looking likely unfortunately. Rescue plane is flying low and circling behind my house now,I'm in fancourt heights.Yet the boat went down within shouting distance of Skerries harbour. God love them.

• Advertisement

Helicopter out now, the red and white one seems to be circling over balbriggan harbour/o shea's can't see exactly where from where I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Casa & Rescue116 doing coastal searches down as far as Rush north beach now, not good signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Certainly a large search going on. Two naval assets, rescue helicopter, CASA aircraft, Garda, RNLI, and 12ish local fishing trawlers. I went down to the harbour earlier and saw all of it going on.

CASA appears to be back over Skerries and is doing searches from 500 feet approx. The loss of Rescue 112 will be felt today.

Stay safe near the water everyone. The ship sank literally just off the harbour. The Garda boat is surrounding it. Just shows how easily you can get swept away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Elemonator wrote: »
    The loss of Rescue 112 will be felt today.

No such thing as rescue112, you mean to say the other Irish Coast Guard Helicopter RESCUE116 which went down off Blacksod.

As it stands there are still 4 S92 helicopters in the Irish Coast Guard fleet, they moved one to Dublin & they kept the RESCUE116 callsign as a mark of respect to their fallen colleagues & friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A lot of activity now near the island with the Martello tower. Chopper overhead and 2 Coastguard vehicles on beach. 3 boats heading that direction also.

A lot of activity now near the island with the Martello tower. Chopper overhead and 2 Coastguard vehicles on beach. 3 boats heading that direction also.
    Must have been a false alarm - all leaving again now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Psychlops wrote: »
    Elemonator wrote: »
    The loss of Rescue 112 will be felt today.
    No such thing as rescue112, you mean to say the other Irish Coast Guard Helicopter RESCUE116 which went down off Blacksod.

As it stands there are still 4 S92 helicopters in the Irish Coast Guard fleet, they moved one to Dublin & they kept the RESCUE116 callsign as a mark of respect to their fallen colleagues & friends.
    Appreciate the correction.
    Must have been a false alarm - all leaving again now.

A lot of them unfortunately, the naval ships were searching near Rockabill and steamed over towards the other side of Red Island at speed earlier in the daytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Could see up to 11 boats and the naval vessel still searching on the horizon between O'Sheas/Balbriggan harbour and the Bower at 21.15

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

Nodster wrote: »
    Could see up to 11 boats and the naval vessel still searching on the horizon between O'Sheas/Balbriggan harbour and the Bower at 21.15

Yes, they were at it all afternoon and evening until dusk. Several sweeps east and west. Immense effort by all concerned.

Rescue helicopter in the air again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Rte reporting that a body has been recovered. RIP to the victim and condolences to his family.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

God rest him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭elperello

RIP

Condolences to family and friends.

I was in the North County Dublin area just after 1300 yesterday and heard the co-ordination of the rescue/search on VHF. I was very impressed by the calm professional way they were organising resources. No more could have been done in the serious and tragic circumstances. We are well served by the volunteers and professionals who did all they could.

Advertisement