Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sugar

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I've never used any of those Flahavan's porridge pots or similar products before, but it's fairly ridiculous/scandalous (I'm outraged Joe :pac:) that they are adding in 7g of sugar when the 'normal' progress oatlets do not have added sugar.

I can get how this seems scandalous and all but 7g of sugar is not a whole lot. I never understood this whole thing about freaking out about the odd 3 or 4g of sugar in products. Like the sugar content of protein powder. If you cut back on the chocolate that's a good start to knocking off like 40g of sugar in one go. 7g is not going to make all that much of a difference on a typical western diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I can get how this seems scandalous and all but 7g of sugar is not a whole lot. I never understood this whole thing about freaking out about the odd 3 or 4g of sugar in products. Like the sugar content of protein powder. If you cut back on the chocolate that's a good start to knocking off like 40g of sugar in one go. 7g is not going to make all that much of a difference on a typical western diet.

I understand what you're saying and I agree that 7g of sugar isn't that much to someone say consuming +100g per day or whatever.

But the added sugar is just so unnecessary. The normal oat products from Flavahan's have no added sugar. Why did they have to add in sugar.

A similar situation would be yoghurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I understand what you're saying and I agree that 7g of sugar isn't that much to someone say consuming +100g per day or whatever.

But the added sugar is just so unnecessary. The normal oat products from Flavahan's have no added sugar. Why did they have to add in sugar.

A similar situation would be yoghurt.

These are exactly my thoughts as well. The yoghurt one is an interesting one as well. If I take Glenisk Greek yoghurt as an example the plain one has no added sugar but the ones with fruit included have added sugar/honey as well as the natural sugar from the fruit. Makes no sense to me.

My husband actually ended up eating the porridge so it didn't go to waste and he said it was disgustingly sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The Pots are 81% oats, the rest is sugar and milk powder. I imagine it's because the they are supposed to be for eating on the go, just add water.
    If you make normal oats at home with milk, you're probably adding a similar amount of sugar. They're just doing it for you here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

zweton wrote: »
    is using canderel really bad?

No, I have been using it with yrs, as I was told I have borderline diabetes, so to avoid that, I use candarel all the time,

Mellor wrote: »
    Exercise is not necessary, by any means.
    But with average activity decreasing due to lifestyle and no change to intake, the result is an increase in weight/body fat levels.

What exactly do you think my argument is?

For the record imo, weight gain/obesity by consuming excess energy. The reason for over consumption is complex and varied.

Why does energy from carbs matter more than energy from fat in a pizza?
    If I eat a large burger, does fat or carbs contribute more energy the excess?

If somebody decided to eat only crispy pork belly, ribs or fried chicken wings . How do think their energy intake would look like? All high fat, highly satiating food. But they'd have over consumer energy before they realised it.

And some who love processed high fat foods, or fatty/starchy/salty foods - no sugar involved.

for some of us who have high cholesterol and borderline diabetic, starches and carbs are a problem, along with high fat content foods like butter, cheese ,ghee, margarine, some cooking oils, red meats, gluten, , very hard when a person is new to these problems, I am one of those, eating out is impossible, all the things I have loved and love are my problem, trying to live a different way all of a sudden is hard,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

goat2 wrote: »
    for some of us who have high cholesterol and borderline diabetic, starches and carbs are a problem, along with high fat content foods like butter, cheese ,ghee, margarine, some cooking oils, red meats, gluten, , very hard when a person is new to these problems, I am one of those, eating out is impossible, all the things I have loved and love are my problem, trying to live a different way all of a sudden is hard,

I don't know enough about the condition to really talk about this but if carbs and fats are a problem what are you meant to eat pure protein???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't know enough about the condition to really talk about this but if carbs and fats are a problem what are you meant to eat pure protein???
    People tend to be very black and white with these things, so when they are told they need to stop over-consumption of fats and carbs, they jump to the position that all carbs, fats, gluten, sugar etc, etc are bad for them.

Ironically, trying to survive on only protein is actually bad for you. Leads to protein poisoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

goat2 wrote: »

You really should see a dietician to help with food planning.

There's a UK website that helps people with diabetes and has a pre diabetes section that could help you with your diet....i can't think of it off hand but if you google it you'll find it!!

• Advertisement

allowed fish, turkey, chicken, all veg, most fruit, and now supplement milk by doing half and half low fat milk mixed with hemp or soya milk, cannot go without the milk, substituted butter with actevia omega 3 , sugar with candrel, ,no biscuits bought cakes, crackers, but do do the multigrain bread, love the ryvita with hummous, and taking the fish oils, also was recommended by doctor to drink green tea, I cannot stand the stuff, just hate the taste of it, so I take the green tea capsules instead to have it in there, Hardest part of the diet, is when I am away from home, cannot follow have to give in so far, always eating plenty veg dishes while away

Advertisement