Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General FPL Chat 2017/18

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Just reading about City's confetti celebrations after winning the weekend. Before that they relied on late goals to win games. Showed up for the big game against United sure but I can't help but think they're due a little jolt. Swansea they play. At home they've tightened up a bit recently. City haven't been keeping cleanies. Midweek game crunched between various other closely packed fixtures. Wouldn't surprise me if Swansea did a small number on them.

Feel free to quote if I'm horribly wrong in the end :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

podge018 wrote: »
    What is Holgate's status at Everton? Played 90mins in last 3, is he there for the forseeable?

Hard to call currently. He can play CB and RB. Kenny is currently favored for RB and Holgate has been playing CB

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Free hit this gw. Aguero , coutinho/firmino, Pedro,, Kane , salah, hazard, klavan, aurier . Gonna give it serious consideration .

Backed away from free hit but picked a team for some lad in work.
    Lloris
    Klavan Christy tarkowski
    Mata coutinho Pedro salah
    Aguero Kane DCL
    Speroni rlc Kenny Simpson
    He didn't have much of a budget so hazard was a stretch too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Ah, Pedro. He was a hero for me last season.

Lloris
    Klavan Christy tarkowski
    Aguero Kane DCL

We'll check back see how he gets on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Lloris
    Klavan Christy tarkowski
    Aguero Kane DCL

With the first 11 more or less definitely starting could you get a 3.9 goalie and free up €0.2, drop Kenny and Simpson to 3.9 defenders and save another €1.0 million? RLC will cover any non-defender that doesn't play.

dsmythy wrote: »
    We'll check back see how he gets on.

Its great for me its sort of a free hit expirement at the free hit .

I see our buddy on top of the overall rankings has pushed the boat out and done TWO transfers.

Lloris
    Klavan Christy tarkowski
    Aguero Kane DCL

Christy tarkowski and Pedro nice start to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Some lad in work :)

• Advertisement

Pope

Christensen Otamendi Jones

Hazard Salah Albrighton RLC

Aguero Kane Firmino

Bench:McArthur Long

Pope alone has nearly outscored half of my actual team. Solid bench here in fairness tho :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

after the recent injuries, I'm thinking I need more than 1 sub

Pope/Speroni

Otamendi - Vertongen - Christensen - Mustafi - Hunemeier

Salah - Haz - Sterling - Richarlison - Colback

Kane - Morata - DCL

0.0 in the bank.

Silva and Kenny in for Hunemeier and Sterling? If the prices change tonight I can't afford so tempted to do it... Stick with Sterling and 1 sub or get Silva and have 2? Alternatively, I could get Mariapa for Hunemeier and no hit. Might be an option with decent fxitures and injuries/suspensions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Regarding Burnley, the hard stats guys (expected goals etc) seem to think they are massively over-performing at the moment in terms of clean sheets.

I’m sure many have Burnley defensive coverage or if not will be hopping on it immediately, but with their upcoming fixture list until about mid-February, it might well pay off to go the opposite route and start to avoid.

There’s a big regression going to come any week now it seems. Then again, they’ve been saying it for weeks at this stage so who knows!?

Paully D wrote: »
    Regarding Burnley, the hard stats guys (expected goals etc) seem to think they are massively over-performing at the moment in terms of clean sheets.

I’m sure many have Burnley defensive coverage or if not will be hopping on it immediately, but with their upcoming fixture list until about mid-February, it might well pay off to go the opposite route and start to avoid.

There’s a big regression going to come any week now it seems. Then again, they’ve been saying it for weeks at this stage so who knows!?

While I agree we have reached peak burnley. The style of defending is to defend quite deep so while teams are getting shots away there is generally lots of bodies in and around to block shots in the box or when a shot is being taken there is a lot of bodies nearby so the shot is probably more rushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Markx

The 'thing' about the Burnley 'thing' is that it's been going on a long time, such that it's most likely more than a statistical anomaly. That is further evidenced by the fact that it can withstand the loss (Michael Keane) and injury to (Heaton, Mee, Lowton) what you would assume are key players.

It's possibly systematic and something that needs to be accepted rather than dismissed. That said, it really really really is taking the p1$$...

I'm doubled up on Burnley not that it's mattered last 2 with one of them injured. Will be cutting down to one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

Has something changed this year in terms of viewing the leagues that friends etc. are in ? In the past I could view a league I wasn't in but can't seem to do so this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Burnley have lost 4 out of their regular back 5 recently as well(Heaton been out awhile I know) so you would wonder how long they can keep it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭steve_r

Markx wrote: »
    The 'thing' about the Burnley 'thing' is that it's been going on a long time, such that it's most likely more than a statistical anomaly. That is further evidenced by the fact that it can withstand the loss (Michael Keane) and injury to (Heaton, Mee, Lowton) what you would assume are key players.

It's possibly systematic and something that needs to be accepted rather than dismissed. That said, it really really really is taking the p1$$...

Someone on F365 compared it to Leicester which I think is apt - clearly they are drilled in a certain way of playing and its a system approach rather than a player approach.

I tend to listen to the Who got the assist? pod, and they were looking at some of the stats for pope/heaton and the number of saves made. It's interesting for a defensive team how much shots they allow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

steve_r wrote: »
    Someone on F365 compared it to Leicester which I think is apt - clearly they are drilled in a certain way of playing and its a system approach rather than a player approach.

I tend to listen to the Who got the assist? pod, and they were looking at some of the stats for pope/heaton and the number of saves made. It's interesting for a defensive team how much shots they allow.

The thing is though if the majority of those shots are outside the box. On average the quality of shooting from outside the box in the PL is atrocious, so as a defense if you can limit most shots to outside the box then you're going to have a very good chance of a clean sheet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

steve_r wrote: »

What kind of saves though?

Are they clear-cut chances or handy saves from shots from distance out of frustration perhaps. I think save stats are often badly skewed.

The only team I see take smart shots from distance is Man City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭steve_r

I'd agree that the save stats are likely skewed, and it does make sense to "allow" a certain amount of shots from outside the box.

The point I was making was that if they are adopting that strategy "let them shoot from distance" then there is a risk attached today.

They seem to be very good at reducing/eliminating defensive mistakes as well - I can't remember any howlers from them this year.

I think its interesting to see how the Dyche/allerdyce systems work in operation - it doesn't seem to matter what defenders they actually have - the system seems to work regardless!

So that Silva lad.

Last 3 games

Goals - 4

Shots - 8

Shots in box - 6

Shots on target - 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

So that Silva lad.

Last 3 games

Goals - 4

Shots - 8

Shots in box - 6

Shots on target - 5

Yeh sure of course. Had him all season. Really didn't want to get rid but needed Salah. So since I got Salah in 3 games ago it's been a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Yeh sure of course. Had him all season. Really didn't want to get rid but needed Salah. So since I got Salah in 3 games ago it's been a disaster.

It could be worse. I dropped him for Pogba, who then got a red. Then swapped Pogba for Ramsey, who got injured. Prob straight back to Silva now :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

It could be worse. I dropped him for Pogba, who then got a red. Then swapped Pogba for Ramsey, who got injured. Prob straight back to Silva now :o

Message to everyone else, time to drop Silva!

Ddg and Pope have massively exceeded expectations. Pope with the amount of saves you would expect but way more clean sheets than you could have expected. Ddg with the clean sheets you would expect but a huge amount of saves which you wouldn't expect. Perfect combination for both of them for bps cs and loads of saves. DDG now only 2 saves off fabianski for most saves in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Exactly the same. The game has broken me this year and I'll only be concentrating on draft leagues now as I'm close in the 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Slight selection headache.
    Who would you bench from:
    Gomez Klavan Mariappa Crouch?

Liverpool double def seems fun at Home, not sure about away though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

mee v dunk who should i choose?

Burnley away from home against Brighton and is mee going to slot straight back in.

Advertisement