Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General FPL Chat 2017/18

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Hhhhhhmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

It's a sad day for the parish due to a legend from Merseyside departing the league. Always fun to own and a quality asset over the years.

Kevin Mirallas to Olympiakos :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Looks like Mahrez is going to Liverpool for £49m - interesting start to the window.

Edit: sorry, fooled by a fake twitter profile there. beIN sports are reporting though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Looks like Mahrez is going to Liverpool for £49m - interesting start to the window.

Edit: sorry, fooled by a fake twitter profile there. beIN sports are reporting though.
    Gonna be some craic next January when Mane, Salah and Mahrez all head off to ACON for a month

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Gonna be some craic next January when Mane, Salah and Mahrez all head off to ACON for a month

It is especially when it’s in the summer anymore :D

Riyad Mahrez set for Liverpool medical tomorrow ahead of £49million switch https://t.co/NUNBjJfY6b

Defo have to hold WC now
    He plays his best football from the left
    As does salah..............this could really affect salah
    It could be like the martial / Rashford situation at united

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Shedite27 wrote: »

Hasn't that been moved to the summer now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Shedite27 wrote:
    Yea I don't think Liverpool will be happy considering it won't be starting until June!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭sheroman01

km79 wrote: »

Riyad Mahrez set for Liverpool medical tomorrow ahead of £49million switch https://t.co/NUNBjJfY6b

Defo have to hold WC now

You'd imagine Liverpool would do everything in their power to not change Salah's game/position in any way, the form he is in.

sheroman01 wrote: »
    You'd imagine Liverpool would do everything in their power to not change Salah's game/position in any way, the form he is in.

Unless his injury is worse than we know and he needs longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Mahrez to be given penalty duty to sweeten the deal, eh? :cool:

In all seriousness tho, I'll be a bit surprised if he is signed, given the similar position he occupies to Salah. But then again, interchangeability is a big feature of Liverpool's attacking play

• Advertisement

Mahrez deal rumours being rubbished now on sky sports news

Defo have to hold WC now

You’re slightly off there Km.

Salah been playing on the right flank or up front all season. Rarely seen him on the left.

Edit - if we do sign Mahrez I’d see him directing replacing Coutinho either in the no.10 role or playing off the left.

Salah been playing on the right flank or up front all season. Rarely seen him on the left.

Edit - if we do sign Mahrez I’d see him directing replacing Coutinho either in the no.10 role or playing off the left.

Sorry I meant off the right with his left foot
    Same as mahrez
    Looks like it’s not happening now anyway

Sorry I meant off the right with his left foot
    Same as mahrez
    Looks like it’s not happening now anyway

Ah bôllocks.

I’d like to see him at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

The thing is Liverpool are ok with Mane Firmino and Salah up top in a 433. A different striker may be added too. Aubam? Liverpool need an attack minded cm for Coutinho. Mahrez may fill the role but it’s not his natural position though.

Interesting to see who they get to replace.

-=al=- wrote: »
    The thing is Liverpool are ok with Mane Firmino and Salah up top in a 433. A different striker may be added too. Aubam? Liverpool need an attack minded cm for Coutinho. Mahrez may fill the role but it’s not his natural position though.

Interesting to see who they get to replace.

I’d love Mahrez as a fan and for FPL reasons but not sure if there’s any truth to the rumours.

They could easily run with what they have until Keita arrives in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Liverpool have plenty of midfielders (can, Henderson, milner, ox, wijnaldum, lallana) but none in the class or mould of countinho.

Never seen kieta but wonder if they will ask for the deal to be completed early

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Not sure if this has been discussed before but say if Messi was to be dropped into the premier league in the morning playing for United or city or someone, what would his price be?

Given Kane was 12.5 at the start of the season surely Messi would have to be 15 or so?!

I'd definitely find a way of fitting him in anyway no matter what he cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Will Klavan remain a regular in Liverpool's defence with VVD's arrival do people know?
    Great question. I would like to know the answer too.

Klavan is toast I'm afraid. Might get the odd start for rotation / injury reasons.

Gomez is probably the cheapest / semi-surest way into the defence at the moment but he will be rotated out now and then. As the games are a bit more spread out now you might see him get a more established run imo, at least up until February and the CL matches and Cylne's return.

If you can afford it however I think it may well be worth forking out the extra 1m for VVD. He will be surely nailed on now, CBs don't really require rotation. He was a BPS magnet for Soton and and is clearly a goal threat also.

I can also see Liverpool perhaps hammering teams less frequently now with Cout gone, meaning an increased likelihood of defender BPS (possibility of more 1 nil or 2 nil wins).

I fancy VVD to become the Otamendi of Liverpool (from a FF perspective). Probably less clean sheets as Liverpool don't quite consistently deny shots to the same extent as City, but I can see him bringing in the points and, if you can stretch that extra million, should be worth it over the likes of Gomez long run.

Gomez still a good pick imo however, like I said you will see him dropped less, and he is still number 1 RB for Pool. However he's likely to frustrate or force your hand into a transfer in 5 or 6 GWs, whereas VVD could end up being a season keeper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I had Gomez for a good while and my main problem was that he seemed to be dropped for the games against poorer teams when CS was more likely so had to sell

• Advertisement

Just another thought re: VVD

With Coutinho gone he will almost certainly be on direct free kicks now. He can really hit them and no one else in the squad is particularly good at them afaik.

I could even see him being given penalty duties. Penalty taker is kind of up in the air if Milner is not on the pitch (which he often isn't). VVD has good technique striking a ball and good mental composure. Maybe a bit of a stretch but it wouldn't shock me to see him take one.

Direct free kicks for sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

VVD becoming more attractive by the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭A Law

Not sure if this has been discussed before but say if Messi was to be dropped into the premier league in the morning playing for United or city or someone, what would his price be?

Given Kane was 12.5 at the start of the season surely Messi would have to be 15 or so?!

I'd definitely find a way of fitting him in anyway no matter what he cost.

Wasn't Ronaldo 14 that year he was brilliant and rose to near 15? I'd say your not far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Wasn't Ronaldo 14 that year he was brilliant and rose to near 15? I'd say your not far wrong.

Can't remember that, might not have played FF that year. But if he was 14 then I'd say Messi could even be 16 or so because good and all as Ronaldo was for United he still wasn't at the level Messi is (or the level Ronaldo himself went on to become in Spain)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Morzadec wrote: »
    Just another thought re: VVD

With Coutinho gone he will almost certainly be on direct free kicks now. He can really hit them and no one else in the squad is particularly good at them afaik.

I could even see him being given penalty duties. Penalty taker is kind of up in the air if Milner is not on the pitch (which he often isn't). VVD has good technique striking a ball and good mental composure. Maybe a bit of a stretch but it wouldn't shock me to see him take one.

Direct free kicks for sure though.

VVD on the penalties & free kicks.

I have heard it all now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Chesty08 wrote: »

Are you just surprised or do you not believe this will be the case? Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him be first choice on free kicks. Penalties I'm not so sure. Has he ever taken a pen before?

Lallana will almost certainly be seeing starts now. He's the closest thing to a creative midfielder we've got with Cout gone. Just back from long term layoff obviously. But looked lively enough in last game. And Klopp does like him. £7.3M

Chesty08 wrote: »

Like I said, penalties a stretch, afaik he's never taken one. Just saying that for a CB he is very accomplished technically speaking as well as being a strong and composed character. Salah and Firmino have both missed penalties this year. I don't expect him to take them, but I could envisage a scenario in which he's given the responsibility in the future.

As for free-kicks, here's some examples of what he's capable of:

He rightly wouldn't have got a look in if Coutinho was still there, but I can tell you there is no one else in Liverpool capable of hitting a free like that, so fully expect him to be on direct free kicks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Who was ahead of him on free kicks at Southampton?

• Advertisement

Who was ahead of him on free kicks at Southampton?

JWP anyway , Bertrand
    Tadic maybe

In fact Yoshida hit one a few weeks back too!

Advertisement