Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General FPL Chat 2017/18

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Brego888 wrote: »
    10 points behind in my money league. The guy in the lead will almost certainly captain Salah tomorrow. I think Salah is the obvious choice and should earn the most points.
    Should I also captain Salah and hope my other players make up the difference or do I captain Kane who he doesn't have as I'm chasing?
    I feel this one decision could make all the difference!

You think salah will earn the most points so therefore in your opinion captaining anyone else will cost you points?
    I think you have made your decision ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

km79 wrote: »
    You think salah will earn the most points so therefore in your opinion captaining anyone else will cost you points?
    I think you have made your decision ;)

But I'm looking for opinions other than mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Brego888 wrote: »
    10 points behind in my money league. The guy in the lead will almost certainly captain Salah tomorrow. I think Salah is the obvious choice and should earn the most points.
    Should I also captain Salah and hope my other players make up the difference or do I captain Kane who he doesn't have as I'm chasing?
    I feel this one decision could make all the difference!

For all the talk of "differentials" which usually makes little sense, final day of the season in a position like yours makes huge sense to tgink this way.

Salah is probably the best captain choice, but with 10 points to make up you should probably go with Kane as the differential.

It's hard to answer this without knowing both teams in question. Does your general team have any clear advantages over you rivals?

I would do a tot up of realistic expected points of both teams, leaving out kane and salah. If you are coming close to 10 points better off in your guesswork stick with Salah. If it doesn't seem like you're making up the points then you've got to roll the dice on Kane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Salah sets a new record for most FPL points... 303.

Previous holder was Suarez with 295

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Right lads I’m looking for advise on how to play this
    DeGea (Wat- rested for Romero)
    Ryan (pool)
    Chilwell (injured Spurs)
    Simpson (injured Spurs)
    Mariappa (United dropped last match)
    Lowton (Bou)
    Dummet (Chelsea)
    Salah (Bri)
    Willian (Newcastle )
    Pogba (Wat)
    Sterling (Sou)
    Gudmonson (Bou)
    Barnes (injured Bou)
    Kane (Leicester)
    Jesus (Sou)

I’ve a 21 point lead and 1 Ft in my main money league. I’m not sure what team to play or what transfers to do so some help be great please lads

His squad is currently with 1 Ft
    De Gea Foster
    Robertson lacessles Davies Zanka Frances
    Salah Pogba Willian Sterling Kennedy
    Vardy Kane J Ayew

Thanks a lot lads!

I got Robertson for Chilwell, he got in Arnie and Monreal for Willian & Davies, he took a - 4 and I ended up only 6 points ahead in the final standings. I’ve no doubt that this thread played a HUGE part in me winning the league so too everyone that’s advised me this season I just wanna say thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

A guy in one of my leagues that a was 2nd in, came from nowhere in 4th place to win it with the free hit chip. 110 points. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,698 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

How did you all finish up ranks wise?

My 3rd season playing, and my target was to finish in the top 1 million, and I ranked in at ~771,000 so I'm happy with that.
    a colleague finished around 27,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Second full season, won my main money league
    Finished 200K ish overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

22,536 for my second highest finish ever

some bad decisions but overall happy enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Another disappointing season OR wise 91k never really got going at any point. Despite that managed to win a 20 team h2h league here and more than likely got promoted from league 1 so happy with that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

What's the skinny on fantasy football for the world cup gents?

I recall doing a sky sports one for South Africa in 2010 but don't recall it been run in 2014. Any other options out there?

I recall doing a sky sports one for South Africa in 2010 but don't recall it been run in 2014. Any other options out there?

There's been an official game for the last while. Seem to recall it's sponsored by McDonald's.

There's a link where it still says it's McDonald's for 2018 on the fifa site but just dead links. Guessing we'll hear well enough when it's up and running!

http://www.fifa.com/games/worldcupfantasyfootball/blog/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,509 ✭✭✭✭CSF

jimmii wrote: »

There's been an official game for the last while. Seem to recall it's sponsored by McDonald's.

There's a link where it still says it's McDonald's for 2018 on the fifa site but just dead links. Guessing we'll hear well enough when it's up and running!

http://www.fifa.com/games/worldcupfantasyfootball/blog/index.html
    I’d say there’s a decent chance I will run a money league with limited numbers, similar to the one I run for FPL

https://www.premierleague.com/news/691347?sf189660767=1

If you think I’m paying 14 million for Salah as a striker you have some lessons to learn Mr.Suthern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

CSF wrote: »
    https://www.premierleague.com/news/691347?sf189660767=1

If you think I’m paying 14 million for Salah as a striker you have some lessons to learn Mr.Suthern.

Not a hope I'd pay 14m for any player. It would destroy the rest of my team.

Kane started at 12.5m this year and that was a push.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

The fact that he seems allergic to bonus points as well makes it a definite no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

Benimar wrote: »
    Not a hope I'd pay 14m for any player. It would destroy the rest of my team.

Kane started at 12.5m this year and that was a push.

I'd gladly pay 14m for Aguero if his minutes were guaranteed.

On this season's form, it wouldn't be out of the way for Salah either. I'd rather pay 10-11 for Salah though.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

shineon23 wrote: »
    I'd gladly pay 14m for Aguero if his minutes were guaranteed.

On this season's form, it wouldn't be out of the way for Salah either. I'd rather pay 10-11 for Salah though.:p

His points would be significantly lower as a striker tho. No CS points and less points for a goal. And then to pay 14M for that? No chance tbh. Somebody may be able to do the maths on it.

And realistically the likihood of him scoring 30+ next season I think would be quite rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

He can't be a striker
    If they reclassify him as a striker they will ahveto reclassify a lot of others leaving a dearth of midfielders
    Firmino is their central striker
    Salah plays as an old style inside forward
    As does sterling
    As does Sanchez
    As does martial when he plays . But he had a poor season so there is no talk of it for him
    There are many other examples in teams that play 433 or 4231 but again they didn't do as well so no talk of it
    They can change one and not the rest bases just on one freak output
    Onky way around it is a major shakeup of categories to separate out DM and AM
    That wont happen

Arnie is different as he playes as the central striker
    However that was an anomaly given the rest of his career and a new manager may have other ideas
    I've a feeeling sadly he will end up as a reverse OOP non FF prospect :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

His points would be significantly lower as a striker tho. No CS points and less points for a goal. And then to pay 14M for that? No chance tbh. Somebody may be able to do the maths on it.

And realistically the likihood of him scoring 30+ next season I think would be quite rare.

Oh sorry I meant on this season's form as a 14.0 MF wouldn't have been out of the way.
    Was Lampard 13 or 13.5 a few years ago with lesser returns than Salah this year.

If they reclassify Salah, they'd surely have to the same for Mane? Can't see that happening.

As an MF next season, if Salah's under 11.5 he'll be in my GW 1 team.

I can't see him hitting those points every week again either but if he does I won't hold it against him as long as it's not against Southampton :P

• Advertisement

FF is based on an old school, 442 definition of players.

Therefore Salah is a "winger" (so a midfielder).

If they redefine Salah they have to redefine the whole game to align to modern tactics.

That means pretty much every fullback for any top / attacking team becomes a midfielder (the job of a top modern day fullback is to cover the entitreity of their side and they spend as much time in the oppositions half as their own).

Every "wide forward" becomes a striker (Sanchez, Sterling, Sane etc...)

Even an argument for those like Firmino who drop deep to be re-classed as a midfielder, or defensive midfielders who drop deep to split the CBs like Dier being reclassified as defenders.

You can't reclassify Salah without doing all of the above. So it would open a serious can of worms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,148 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Yeah I'm nearly certain they won't reclassify him as a forward. He's a winger and by FPL's classification system that makes him a midfielder.

Yeah I'm nearly certain they won't reclassify him as a forward. He's a winger and by FPL's classification system that makes him a midfielder.
    So it’s not helpful to have someone who knows that out talking sh*te on the official website.

CSF wrote: »
    So it’s not helpful to have someone who knows that out talking sh*te on the official website.

Surprised at Mark for that alright. He's meant to be one of us dammit!

It would actually make things more interesting because right now Salah basically makes it a 14 player game as everyone will go into next season with him. At least if he is repositioned or over priced it means going without is a realistic option.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

It would actually make things more interesting because right now Salah basically makes it a 14 player game as everyone will go into next season with him. At least if he is repositioned or over priced it means going without is a realistic option.

I'd expect him to be 12m minimum, if not 12.5m. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,148 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

There's a very strong possibility he will be overpriced I would have thought. I don't think I'd bet much money on him coming close to this season's heroics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Always said they can keep the old school 442 classification and anyone who scores well beyond what was expected of them can be priced accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

danganabu wrote: »
    The fact that he seems allergic to bonus points as well makes it a definite no no.

He would do better with bps if he was classed as a striker

• Advertisement

I have no doubt he will be hugely priced ("overpriced" is more subjective) and it will be the first big decision we all make when we start playing next season.

Talk of 12.0 or 12.5 is optimistic imo.

We're talking about the best ever FF season.

Ronaldo was I believe 13.0 after his big season. Kane was 12.5 as a striker after a less fruitful season. We've seen Aguero as high as 13.0 too.

The only counter argument you could say for him to be lower is that it is "just" one season, so is his consistency less proven than the above examples?

Still, given the huge points total, I would be flabbergasted if he went lower than 13.0

My prediction would be 13.5 (as a midfielder of course). I wouldn't be at all surprised with 14.0 though.

I feel that it this price it's nicely poised (as the quoted poster says, it will make it interesting) as it will be a really tough call whether to spunk such a huge amount of the budget on him, or to risk going without.

12.0 or 12.5 isn't too interesting imo, you'd be a bit mad not to snap him up (at least at the start) at that price.

Advertisement