Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General FPL Chat 2017/18

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

If Aurier was to come in I can't see him being happy to sit on the bench week in week out.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

What 4.0 defenders are likely to start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    What 4.0 defenders are likely to start

None of them sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭McBain11

I thought Valencia was appalling for United at RB last season. He was basically their go to attacking outlet {I'd love to see the stats on how many times he received the ball in the final 3rd and did nothing with it}. If they had a really outstanding RB last season Uniteds pedantic play would have looked a lot different. Jose said that Valencia was one of the best RBs in the world last season - if Valencia actually starts there in 30 plus league games again this season, United will miss out on top 4 most likely .

Now obviously all of that wasn't down to Valencia, I think attacking defenders under Jose could be poison FF wise, but why are lads so happy with Valencia last season and going into this season? I think his returns have been been desperate. I can see why Aurier would be brought in {even if that's a whole different kettle of madness!!!}

Btw, before a load of lads get into a Liverpool/United etc. etc. argument. I think Valencia was terrible last season for the amount of opportunities he had. I think Clyne with Liverpool was possibly worse {negated a bit by the fact I think they let Milner attack more}. City had shocking RBs FF wise, Arsenal and Bellerin the world beater was so bad it can't even be credited, Spurs with Walker were the only ones of the big sides challenging who actually a half decent RB imo. Chelsea played with a different system.

Coleman was and is by far the best RB in the PL over last season and going back a couple of years. Cedric is another player outside of the top sides who puts most of their choices to shame, even if he's not a world beater!

• Advertisement

I think Bellerin is comfortably the best right back in the league.

I genuinely think Coleman is lights years ahead of all the other RBs in the PL for a few seasons now. Bellerin always flattered to deceive imo. Lighting pace but little end product, like so many others in the PL. That's why I think Coleman was well ahead.

Going on last season and a couple of seasons gone by, I think the RB position in the PL is probably the weakest by far. Even in that time you had plenty of quality LBs, Rose better than Walker, Alonso better than Moses, Milner better than Clyne, Monreal/Bellerin, 50/50ish, Coleman miles ahead of Baines, Bertrand probably ahead of Cedric. I actually think that Valencia at RB for United is the only clearly better RB at a bigger club when compared to their LB, yet that's as much to do Joses lopsided fullback tactics as anything! City were equally as poor on both sides last season if not for 2 or 3 seasons now,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

McBain11 wrote: »
    I thought Valencia was appalling for United at RB last season.
    If we are talking from a FPL point of view then I'd probably agree. However, you can't blame a player entirely when he has contributed a lot of untaken chances and maybe with Lukaku in there this could change this season.

From a non-FPL point of view I think Valencia is indispensable at RB for United and an absolute beast of a player.

I fully agree with your comments on Coleman though.
    I think Bellerin is comfortably the best right back in the league.
    I'd place him above average. Got shown up a few too many times last season. I mean, Ryan Fraser of Bournemouth made bits of him that time they drew 3-3 last season. Good FF option though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mectavba

If Coleman hadn't suffered that horrific injury, I'm convinced he would have been bought by one of City, Utd or Chelsea. City have bought Walker and Utd and Chelsea both need an upgrade in this position.

Very sad, it will be hard for him to get back to that level of performance and if he does he will be almost 30, so the ship might have sailed on getting a move to one of the top clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Just getting back from a weeks holidays, feels like I've missed months worth of info :pac:

This is my favourite time of FPL year, plenty of pre-season information to work through and find some hidden gems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I was all set on Burnley/Palace rotation at the back between two 4.5 defenders -
    gives you HUD/WBA/SWA/PAL/SOU/HUD

Looking through Palace's preseason however looks unlikely that they'll have a 4.5 defender. First choice seems to be a back three of Ward, Reidewald and Dann - all 5.0.

Has anyone found a nice pair of rotating 4.5 defenders for the first 6 games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,148 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Is there a FSA or boards league this year? Old ones don't seem to have renewed.

Finnharpsboy has been in charge of it the last few seasons but I haven't seen him round much lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Iwobi at 5.5 on my watchlist. He's been getting assists goals in pre season

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Big Borg

Are there any Open Leagues that I can join?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Ayone taking  apunt on Trent Alexander Arnold, seems to have been getting rave reviews for his pre season performances and good value at 4.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Redo91

Maybe I'm blind but I can't seem to find Anthony Knockaert in the Brighton team?!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Redo91 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm blind but I can't seem to find Anthony Knockaert in the Brighton team?!

He's there, 6m rated midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Ayone taking  apunt on Trent Alexander Arnold, seems to have been getting rave reviews for his pre season performances and good value at 4.5

Ye I'll probably end up going down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

Who does he play for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

I see a lot of teams with Jesus and not many with Aguero? Even with the price tag I can't bring myself to go for Jesus. Aguero with his history and on pens, anyone going with Jesus can you explain why, as I'd love the extra 1m but can't do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Tim76 wrote:
    Who does he play for?

Liverpool.

Klopp appears to be a fan and Clyne has been unimpressive recently according to their fans.

I determined to start with a squad of definite starters and he falls outside that category but ill have him on shortlist or possibly even a 5th cheap defender

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 650 ✭✭✭PVA

I've been impressed by TAA but a few friends that are big 'Pool fans don't think he will be first choice (yet).

If he's likely to start GW1 and GW2 he will be in my team though, Liverpool have a tough GW3 and GW4 and every chance you could be in Wildcard mode by then anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Don't be surprised to see Milner at RB initially

stephenl15 wrote: »
    I see a lot of teams with Jesus and not many with Aguero? Even with the price tag I can't bring myself to go for Jesus. Aguero with his history and on pens, anyone going with Jesus can you explain why, as I'd love the extra 1m but can't do it

Jesus is there because the manager wanted him. Almost every opportunity Pep has had he's played him at the expense of Kun. I think the only City options are KDB and Jesus.

To answer your question - Kun is the past and Jesus is the future.

Edit - I think there's a chance that Kun won't be there on the 1st of September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I have Aguero in my draft as a place holder as much as anything. 1m itb and I can upgrade to Kane if I needs to, or downgrade to Jesus, batman, Itchnacho, Vardy, Morata or whoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I have Aguero in my draft as a place holder as much as anything.
    Yeah I had him in out of habit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Anyone here an Arsenal fan that think's Ramsey's worth a punt at 7.0M? Been reading he's been having a good pre-season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Kevin Long started again for Burnley last night, my 4.0m starting defender senses are tingling.....

Full line-up for anyone interested:

Pope, Lowton (Bardsley ht), Long (Tarkowski 82), Taylor, Ward (Mee ht), Brady (Gray 88), Defour, Cork (Arfield 65), Hendrick (Barnes 65), Gudmundsson, Vokes (Walters 75)

Looks like 4-5-1 which doesn't bode well for Jonny Walters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Kevin Long started again for Burnley last night, my 4.0m starting defender senses are tingling.....

Full line-up for anyone interested:

Pope, Lowton (Bardsley ht), Long (Tarkowski 82), Taylor, Ward (Mee ht), Brady (Gray 88), Defour, Cork (Arfield 65), Hendrick (Barnes 65), Gudmundsson, Vokes (Walters 75)

Looks like 4-5-1 which doesn't bode well for Jonny Walters.

The 2 CBS and the front 3 were totally different than what played Saturday I wouldn't read much into it. The friendly Saturday will be the key. Mee and tarkowski played last Saturday and I'd be surprised if that's not what starts the season. On Saturday the front 3 was 3 strikers Barnes gray Walters whereas last night it was 2 wingers gudmundson Brady and 1 striker. I have gone cold on Walters as dyche had always played 442 but it seems he may be looking at something else this year. Although it could just be he is playing 451 in the first game away at Chelsea.

Advertisement