Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General FPL Chat 2017/18

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

The 2 CBS and the front 3 were totally different than what played Saturday I wouldn't read much into it. The friendly Saturday will be the key. Mee and tarkowski played last Saturday and I'd be surprised if that's not what starts the season. On Saturday the front 3 was 3 strikers Barnes gray Walters whereas last night it was 2 wingers gudmundson Brady and 1 striker. I have gone cold on Walters as dyche had always played 442 but it seems he may be looking at something else this year. Although it could just be he is playing 451 in the first game away at Chelsea.

I'd be shocked if Taylor started the season alright, I think Long has a fighting chance of beating out Tarkowski though.

I'm hoping this is just Dyche trying out different formations that he may use over the course of the season, but at the moment Walters isn't in my squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

ScummyMan wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if Taylor started the season alright, I think Long has a fighting chance of beating out Tarkowski though.

I'm hoping this is just Dyche trying out different formations that he may use over the course of the season, but at the moment Walters isn't in my squad.

Long has more chance than the rest of the 4.0s but I think tarkowski will partner mee. I still think they will sign a cb as it would be a big risk for Burnley going in with either tarkowski or long as there starting cb.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

With regards mid priced strikers. Anyone youd have over Hernandez or Austin ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    With regards mid priced strikers. Anyone youd have over Hernandez or Austin ?

Gayle maybe even Deeney if you fancy getting creative! Wouldn't fancy either of them to have a higher P90 over the season but given West Ham open with 3 away games then I would take Gayle for the first games over either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭caldew

Mounie, Huddersfield. 6.0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

United 352 again tonight
    Pogba advanced ;)

Bailly and jones again benched together
    Seem certain now to start first few league games

km79 wrote: »
    United 352 again tonight
    Pogba advanced ;)

Bailly and jones again benched together
    Seem certain now to start first few league games

Was just thinking about that actually and I'm not sure on that one. Is the assumption that smalling and lindeof play the super cup and then Bailly Jones all league games and then smalling lindeof come out of storage in the middle of sept to play a champs lge game. Also would it not have made sense to play Bailly and Jones tonight to get the partnership more up to speed.

Was just thinking about that actually and I'm not sure on that one. Is the assumption that smalling and lindeof play the super cup and then Bailly Jones all league games and then smalling lindeof come out of storage in the middle of sept to play a champs lge game. Also would it not have made sense to play Bailly and Jones tonight to get the partnership more up to speed.
    Ease lindelof in too though ?
    I don't know
    They are playing 352 tonight again too
    But done see many league fixtures in first 2 months that will warrant playing it

I'm going de Gea
    The tough decision is Pogba or miki now

I need Pogba to show something over next 2 games now he has Matic behind him

Ease lindelof in too though ?
    I don't know
    They are playing 352 tonight again too
    But done see many league fixtures in first 2 months that will warrant playing it

I'm going de Gea
    The tough decision is Pogba or miki now

I need Pogba to show something over next 2 games now he has Matic behind him

I don't think I'll be risking Jones anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

United defensive cover seems a must but none of them actually seem nailed on :( I'd like to go the De Gea route but 5.5 GK's just isn't worth the money IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Anyone else worried about Southampton? Every time they have nice fixtures we all load up on them, only to see the likes of Gabbiadini or Pelle blank, or Tadic and Bertrand rested, then moan on here about "never again!"

Looks like it's happening again, nice fixtures to start the season, but a new manager in charge. Then they go and lose 4-0 at home to Ausberg last night.

They have a new CB starting last night too, which worried me as I'd Stephens in my current draft.

Forster
    Pied Bednarek Yoshida Targett
    Hojbjerg Romeu Ward-Prowse Redmond
    Long Austin
    Subs used:(Stephens 45) (McQueen 45) (Clasie 45) (Tadic 64) (Gabbiadini 64) (Bertrand 72) (Boufal 72) (Davis 80)

New Manager, lots of rotation, poor form --> I'm out!

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Anyone else worried about Southampton? Every time they have nice fixtures we all load up on them, only to see the likes of Gabbiadini or Pelle blank, or Tadic and Bertrand rested, then moan on here about "never again!"

Looks like it's happening again, nice fixtures to start the season, but a new manager in charge. Then they go and lose 4-0 at home to Ausberg last night.

They have a new CB starting last night too, which worried me as I'd Stephens in my current draft.

Forster
    Long Austin
    Subs used:(Stephens 45) (McQueen 45) (Clasie 45) (Tadic 64) (Gabbiadini 64) (Bertrand 72) (Boufal 72) (Davis 80)

Yes it crossed my mind alright
    Feck forgot about Shane long too!

I'll still chance Austin but I'm wavering on defender due to options from big clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Yep....only playing FPL for 2 years but have been badly burned by Southampton a few times already.

I think I bought Cedric twice (possibly 3 times) last year and he mysteriously vanished from the team and/or squad every time.

Their fixtures are indeed tempting but very hard to know who to go with atm....I have Forster in my current draft

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Big Borg

Are there any 5.5 strikers that are really worth taking a chance on? It is hard to get info on the strikers from promoted teams. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

I'll still chance Austin but I'm wavering on defender due to options from big clubs

Considering Jay Rodriguez instead of Austin now and upgrading defence by 0.5. To be fair when Austin plays he is a consistent 1 in 2 man, plus he will probably be on pens, but the vibes from Rodriguez in media v Sotons shaky form making me doubt myself now.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Big Borg wrote: »
    Are there any 5.5 strikers that are really worth taking a chance on? It is hard to get info on the strikers from promoted teams. Thanks.

Tammy Abraham, on loan at Swansea form Chelsea, is someone I'm keeping an eye on. He scored a bucketload in the Championship last season and looks like a class finisher. Not 100% to start though, will probably depend on the Llorente situation.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Any Pool fans know if TAA is in line to start the first couple of weeks with Clyne out, or will Milner push across?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Any Pool fans know if TAA is in line to start the first couple of weeks with Clyne out, or will Milner push across?

James Pearce seems to think he'll start. He started to cramp up against Bayern and got the hook straight away so I think it's fair to say he'll start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

City's squad is ridiculous. It's impossible to predict what Pep will do.

KDB is safe, but will he always be far forward?
    Jesus is safe, but will he be out wide?
    Sané is a favourite, but he could sometimes play wing back.
    Danilo, Walker and Mendy for 2 full back spots.

You'll be shítting yourself on game day most weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,886 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

SlickRic wrote: »

Sans a favourite, but he could sometimes play wing back.

You'll be shing yourself on game day most weeks.

I was thinking about this. If City do stick with thier all-out attack (presumably honed better since Pep has the players he wants now) It could mean that even City's subs who get 20/30 minutes could be well in the points?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

Shedite27 wrote: »

Forster
    Long Austin

On my current draft I've ditched all Southhampton. I think I might see how they get on first before going with anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

WTF Ramsey on a yellow flag!!! He was grand at lunchtime.

FFS!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

When does the boards league show up under classic leagues when viewing your team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭caviardreams

SlickRic wrote: »

Sans a favourite, but he could sometimes play wing back.

You'll be shing yourself on game day most weeks.

I am not sure Jesus is safe at all, even and Sane is risky too. Can see serious rotation going on, even for Pep's favourites :(

After getting all the city attackers in, I am now considering a wait-and-see strategy and then jumping on whoever looks relatively undropable.

It's an absolute nightmare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Stuck with KdB since he's on dead balls and should be the safest.

Burned by Southampton plenty of times in the past so just sticking with Yoshida for the first few fixtures for now anyways

They seem like safe solid picks. KdB can be changed to a decent mid if anyone goes crazy in the first week too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

When does the boards league show up under classic leagues when viewing your team?

It'll show up when last years administrator renews his account. Doesnt seem to have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Ye I'll probably end up going down that route.

How long do you think he'll get there? Clyne not out for long is he?

Almost every opportunity Pep has had he's played him at the expense of Kun.

This is just not true. Not even close.

Pep was trying to change Agueros game and when Jesus first signed he dropped him straight in for Aguero yes.

After the Jesus injury Aguero worked hard the Pep way and Pep has enthused about him. Since then he has NEVER 'played Jesus at the expense of Kun'. Not once. When both have been available they have both played. And when both played Aguero has been central and Jesus wide on the front three.

This 'pep prefers Jesus' kneejerk line in any discussion is outdated and lazy analysis IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭caviardreams

FHFC wrote: »
    This is just not true. Not even close.

Pep was trying to change Agueros game and when Jesus first signed he dropped him straight in for Aguero yes.

After the Jesus injury Aguero worked hard the Pep way and Pep has enthused about him. Since then he has NEVER 'played Jesus at the expense of Kun'. Not once. When both have been available they have both played. And when both played Aguero has been central and Jesus wide on the front three.

This 'pep prefers Jesus' kneejerk line in any discussion is outdated and lazy analysis IMO.

I think you are right- both could be rotated, rested, swapped in and out depending on the opposition, fixture congestion etc. Would probably lean more towards Kun being more "guaranteed", but even at that, not rotation-proof imo. Tempted to avoid both, and jump on whichever seems to be in form after the first game or two.

• Advertisement

I think it's just as simple as Jones is Mourinhos preferred partner for Bailly. He seems to trust him.

Lindelof has been ropey preseason and Jose has talked about him being young and needing to get used to the league. He's referred to there being a reason for his CB pairings. Bailly definitely starts in the PL and Jones has been the partner for the last few games, and has been solid in preseason.

I think last night he was trying the Super Cup pairing, or he might even play that 352 in the Super Cup.

I was at the game, and Pogba didn't do anything impressive, partly imo as he was on the left of the 2 CMs and linking more with the less attacking Darmian.

Mhkitaryan would be gold if nailed and they played that formation but he isn't and they won't.

Advertisement