Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General FPL Chat 2017/18

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

I think you are right- both could be rotated, rested, swapped in and out depending on the opposition, fixture congestion etc. Would probably lean more towards Kun being more "guaranteed", but even at that, not rotation-proof imo. Tempted to avoid both, and jump on whichever seems to be in form after the first game or two.

I think it's almost certain he plays 2 up front initially. And in that scenario I 100% prefer
    Aguero.

After that as you say there will be rotation from almost everyone. And whoever is not doing the business is gonna see less gametime.

Another factor is that it's easier to downgrade (price wise) to Jesus of he's the one who bangs. If you go for Jesus and Aguero gets a brace GW1 you're in trouble.

City have a track record of scoring a lot of goals early on, I'm probably doubling up on their attack.

Sane was my preferred man but he's seen very limited minutes preseason so he's a non runner for now IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Good reasoning there FH, thanks! Might have to do some reshuffling to find an extra 0.5 to get Kun in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

FHFC wrote: »
    I think it's just as simple as Jones is Mourinhos preferred partner for Bailly. He seems to trust him.

Lindelof has been ropey preseason and Jose has talked about him being young and needing to get used to the league. He's referred to there being a reason for his CB pairings. Bailly definitely starts in the PL and Jones has been the partner for the last few games, and has been solid in preseason.

I think last night he was trying the Super Cup pairing, or he might even play that 352 in the Super Cup.

I was at the game, and Pogba didn't do anything impressive, partly imo as he was on the left of the 2 CMs and linking more with the less attacking Darmian.

Mhkitaryan would be gold if nailed and they played that formation but he isn't and they won't.

Bailly and Jones havent played more than 45 minutes in any of the pre season games. I just think its strange he didn't give them 60 or 90 mins in the game against valarenga. Lindelof and Smalling will have had a lot more minutes than Bailly and Jones when you factor in the super cup game and the two lads will more or less have sat out the last 2 friendlies. It doesn't make sense to me why Jose is giving 2 lads all these minutes for what is a glorified friendly and keeping 2 lads in cold storage that he plans to use for the league games, surely the league games are much more important and you want your starters to have more minutes in their legs. Of course it may happen but there is no way I'm risking Jones. On pogba he would need to be on pens for me to in anyway consider him.

This is just not true. Not even close.

Pep was trying to change Agueros game and when Jesus first signed he dropped him straight in for Aguero yes.

After the Jesus injury Aguero worked hard the Pep way and Pep has enthused about him. Since then he has NEVER 'played Jesus at the expense of Kun'. Not once. When both have been available they have both played. And when both played Aguero has been central and Jesus wide on the front three.

This 'pep prefers Jesus' kneejerk line in any discussion is outdated and lazy analysis IMO.

So you 100% expect Aguero to start the first game of the season ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭McBain11

With the Neymar transfer going through, Barca could well come after some big PL FF players - Hazard and Coutinho have been linked at different times, but what about Aguero? I could see City willing to offload him. I almost feel dirty writing that!! I know Pep has said a few times that Aguero will be at City this season and that's the end of the story, but I think if a decent offer came in from a club outside the PL Pep would consider it strongly if they have a back up in mind.

If Aguero started every game in the PL this season, he would be a phenomenal asset with those City creators behind him. I don't see it though. I don't think Pep trusts him and I also think lads are understating how good Jesus is. They are different types of forward, but I really think Jesus is going to be top class over the next couple of seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Tinkering with my team at the moment, is anyone else considering a top-heavy strategy to start?

My current forward line is Kane-Lukaku-Aguero. I just feel like there's too much uncertainty around a lot of the midfielders, be it rotation or production issues. At least by having the three big guns to start, it's easy to offload if one isn't doing the business. I'm planning an early WC too, so for the first few weeks I think I'll be dipping into the bargain bucket for defenders, and getting a couple of mid-range midfielders i.e. Fabregas/Pogba.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,886 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Good reasoning there FH, thanks! Might have to do some reshuffling to find an extra 0.5 to get Kun in.

could get both kun and jesus?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

McBain11 wrote: »
    With the Neymar transfer going through, Barca could well come after some big PL FF players - Hazard and Coutinho have been linked at different times, but what about Aguero? I could see City willing to offload him. I almost feel dirty writing that!! I know Pep has said a few times that Aguero will be at City this season and that's the end of the story, but I think if a decent offer came in from a club outside the PL Pep would consider it strongly if they have a back up in mind.

If Aguero started every game in the PL this season, he would be a phenomenal asset with those City creators behind him. I don't see it though. I don't think Pep trusts him and I also think lads are understating how good Jesus is. They are different types of forward, but I really think Jesus is going to be top class over the next couple of seasons.

Yeah I'm waiting for the domino effect. Kun's age and Liverpool's "crazy" valuation of Coutinho would have me thinking (hoping) that Hazard is a more likely target but perhaps Spurs fans should be concerned.

I finished pretty well last season with both Kun and Jesus up top with Kane. (TV 105M notwithstanding) Yes I had to put up with some sub appearances and less than 90mins now and then but not too often (I think!) but they both delivered in a high scoring team.

As things stand now I'd have Jesus marginally ahead of Aguero.
    However Kun is ahead of Kane and Lukaku in my mind.
    I think Lacazette will be in my squad atm. I'll take my team off autopick after the Community Shield Sunday and get into game mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭McBain11

Lacazette is one that could be a cracking player at his price. If Ozil and Sanchez stick around and really give it a crack, Lacazette has a serious scoring ratio to go with decent service. I just can't bring myself to commit to him in my team right now though. Arsenal, Wenger and everything there really does not seem right to me, it could all go boom at any time. Really want to have Lacazette in but ... My head hurts :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Big Borg

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Tinkering with my team at the moment, is anyone else considering a top-heavy strategy to start?

My current forward line is Kane-Lukaku-Aguero. I just feel like there's too much uncertainty around a lot of the midfielders, be it rotation or production issues. At least by having the three big guns to start, it's easy to offload if one isn't doing the business. I'm planning an early WC too, so for the first few weeks I think I'll be dipping into the bargain bucket for defenders, and getting a couple of mid-range midfielders i.e. Fabregas/Pogba.

Great frontline, but you are spending too much. It will hurt the rest of your team. Pick two of the three.

A number of posts have mentioned Fabregas, but last season he mostly came off the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

So I've been reading up on the United defenders here and not many know about the CB's in regards to who'll start.

Is Darmian a safe option? I haven't been following them pre season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

Thats not what he said or implied. You stated (paraphrasing) that Pep stuck it to Aguero 100% of the time that Jesus was available.

He stuck it to him when Jesus came in first, definitely. But when Jesus was injured he played Kun (you could say he had no choice). When Jesus came back from injury he played both of them.

In terms of trying to predict who Pep is going to start now it's a fools game. The common perception is that KDB is nailed and everything else is a movable feast.

However I would not be surprised to see both Jesus and Aguero start together for the first few matches.

So I've been reading up on the United defenders here and not many know about the CB's in regards to who'll start.

Is Darmian a safe option? I haven't been following them pre season

I do think Darmian is safe enough until Shaw gets back anyway - Blind is not very good at LB at all.

could get both kun and jesus?

Tempting! Though expensive :(

(also as a United fan I am not sure I could stomach it :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

The times reporting that Chelsea are close to signing VVD
    Now that would change things for me !!!!

Community shield moved forward an hour to 2pm
    Won't clash with hurling now
    Sunday sorted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

km79 wrote: »
    The times reporting that Chelsea are close to signing VVD
    Now that would change things for me !!!!

5.5 nailed into Chelsea's defence would be amazing.

Who would be dropped though?

Luiz/Cahill/VVD/Rudiger/Azpi into 3?

Alonso & Moses as wing backs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I agree with all of this...
    http://fplfly.wordpress.com/

I do to be honest. But thats just my guess, and a as good as anyone elses.

But I definitely think this assumption that Jesus is Peps preference no matter what, is a kind of lazy myth based on what happened back in February and taking no account of what has happened since.

When Jesus returned from injury the same assumption logic was that Aguero would be dropped for him immediately. And it didn't happen, and in fact he outperformed him from there till end of the season, and was generally played in a more central role.

City have played 2 up front in several of their preseason games, Pep has said he wanted to play both Jesus and Aguero together. I'm happy running with Aguero initially at least.

A differential Aguero at 11.5m facing a promoted side in GW1...... :eek:

But I definitely think this assumption that Jesus is Peps preference no matter what, is a kind of lazy myth based on what happened back in February and taking no account of what has happened since.

When Jesus returned from injury the same assumption logic was that Aguero would be dropped for him immediately. And it didn't happen, and in fact he outperformed him from there till end of the season, and was generally played in a more central role.

City have played 2 up front in several of their preseason games, Pep has said he wanted to play both Jesus and Aguero together. I'm happy running with Aguero initially at least.

And now I'm back to aguero plus one million instead of Kane :D
    And kdb !

• Advertisement

I didn't like anything about Kun's body language and the way Pep talked about him.

I'm reading between the lines as much as anything and if Jesus didn't get injured the picture might be clearer.

I'd be surprised if Kun starts but it is hard to be confident.

I didn't like anything about Kun's body language and the way Pep talked about him.

I'm reading between the lines as much as anything and if Jesus didn't get injured the picture might be clearer.

I'd be surprised if Kun starts but it is hard to be confident.

That was then though. Back around Feb when he was dropped for CL and Jesus first came in.

Here's what Pep said about him in March...
    “It’s the best performance I’ve ever seen from Sergio, I love him – the way he played – the way he was involved.”

And in April..
    “My feeling before that he was just waiting to score a goal. Now he’s involved in the game. Not just the offensive part.”

And preseason....
    “Last season we had Gabriel Jesus out for a long time – I would have like to have seen them (him and Aguero) play more together.”

If you consider ALL the information it's far from this clear cut "Pep prefers Jesus/doesn't trust Aguero" narrative.

Liverpool got hoffenheim in playoffs .........Arsenal on the weekend after second leg

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Here's the stats for Jesus and Aguero once Jesus returned from injury at the end of the season

Jesus:
    65dc9f9875803e874c9884a6b1f60d50.png

Aguero
    dca181849a46ae34b80581087fa328fb.png

Stats from transfermarkt.com, they're very reliable.

Once back to fitness, Jesus started the last 5 games. 3 up front, 2 on the wing.

Aguero started 3, off the bench for 1, and missed one game completely. Not sure why he missed that game, usually they'll state if it's injury.

They played 1 game up front together, the 2-2 draw against boro, at which point playing the 2 up fornt together seemed to be abandoned.

That said, if they've been working on it in pre season, and with proper wing backs, it could be viable.

I'd say Jesus is nailed on, Aguero about 70% to start.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

km79 wrote: »
    Liverpool got hoffenheim in playoffs .........Arsenal on the weekend after second leg

The Arsenal game is on the Sunday at 4. A minimum of (almost) 4 days recovery, no travel and the last game before the international break. I can't see there being too much rotation tbh.

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Here's the stats for Jesus and Aguero once Jesus returned from injury at the end of the season

Jesus:
    65dc9f9875803e874c9884a6b1f60d50.png

Aguero
    dca181849a46ae34b80581087fa328fb.png

Stats from transfermarkt.com, they're very reliable.

Once back to fitness, Jesus started the last 5 games. 3 up front, 2 on the wing.

Aguero started 3, off the bench for 1, and missed one game completely. Not sure why he missed that game, usually they'll state if it's injury.

They played 1 game up front together, the 2-2 draw against boro, at which point playing the 2 up fornt together seemed to be abandoned.

That said, if they've been working on it in pre season, and with proper wing backs, it could be viable.

I'd say Jesus is nailed on, Aguero about 70% to start.

Aguero got injured against Boro, missed the next game and made return via the bench the game after. Games where both were fit Aguero started all, playing about 30mins less due to a couple of post 70m subs off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Iheanacho being sold could change the dynamic. I think it makes it a little more likely that Jesus and Kun compete for the one spot (maybe not always but a fair chunk of the time). KDB also operates by far the best behind a lone striker, I had thought that buying Bernardo Silva (who played right wing whenever I saw him for Monaco last season) would mean KDB playing centrally off the main striker now for the most part. But it's bloody hard to predict. So much attacking talent with limited spots to fill. And then what does Pep do in preseason but super troll us all by playing 5 at the back :pac: meaning one LESS attacking spot. But which could make the wing backs super attractive... but then with three top quality wingbacks (Danilo who can operate on either flank) you realize none of them are safe either :pac::pac::pac:

I'm just picking KDB and hoping he plays advanced mostly. So hard to predict how things will go with City, could change from match to match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

After the Neymar transfer, should FPL not review the current setup and give us 200m to spend?

100m is a bit tight these days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Anyone considering going with Iheanacho?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

I reckon I'll look at him and other Leicester players from GW5. I do have a soft spot for Vardy though

Advertisement