Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General FPL Chat 2017/18

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

what do we think about chelsea. I think they will fall off a bit compared to last year and apart from their first fixture they have a tough opening. Willian and fabregas are only holding positions and are a transfer waiting to happen. I know if I go with either and they blank in gw 1 ill be kicking myself. I have a lot of alternative options I could pursue in midfield instead. My ideal scenario is one of their strikers doing the business tomorrow and going with them for gw 1 with a view to selling in gw 2 as im struggling a bit with my striker selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

what do we think about chelsea. I think they will fall off a bit compared to last year and apart from their first fixture they have a tough opening. Willian and fabregas are only holding positions and are a transfer waiting to happen. I know if I go with either and they blank in gw 1 ill be kicking myself. I have a lot of alternative options I could pursue in midfield instead. My ideal scenario is one of their strikers doing the business tomorrow and going with them for gw 1 with a view to selling in gw 2 as im struggling a bit with my striker selection.

I'm with you mostly there. GW1 could be fruitful but then again without their 2 best attackers in Haz and Costa. GW2 wildcarders or those using Free Hit chip GW1 could benefit. I agree Will-i-an and Fab are transfers waiting to happen. GW14 looks like a nice time for Chelsea fixtures-wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Somewhat surprised at how many people are going big on defence I had a quick look at cleansheets in the opening weeks of last year.

Gw1 - 2 teams
    Gw2 - 6 teams
    Gw3 - 5 teams
    Gw3 - 2 teams

Compared with...

Gw33- 4 teams
    Gw34 - 11 but skewed by additional mid fixtures
    Gw35 - 10
    Gw38 - 8

I omitted gw37-38 due to dead rubber games between teams with little to play for.

I suppose my point is... Are those extra cleansheet scores still fresh in the minds of those going big on defence.

Edit - of those opening 15 cleansheets in gw1-4, only 6 of them came from top 6 teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Somewhat surprised at how many people are going big on defence I had a quick look at cleansheets in the opening weeks of last year.

Gw1 - 2 teams
    Gw2 - 6 teams
    Gw3 - 5 teams
    Gw3 - 2 teams

Compared with...

Gw33- 4 teams
    Gw34 - 11 but skewed by additional mid fixtures
    Gw35 - 10
    Gw38 - 8

I omitted gw37-38 due to dead rubber games between teams with little to play for.

I suppose my point is... Are those extra cleansheet scores still fresh in the minds of those going big on defence.

Wing backs have changed the dynamic. Basically we have wingers who can get clean sheet points.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Batshuayi. Will he start, or is Morata fit?

He's a tidy player, who's scored heavily enough when given opportunities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Had really hoped Austin would be a starter
    Might have to look at some kind of rotation now between mids and J Rod
    Or switch zaha to jwp and Austin to benteke
    That's a strong possibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

What's the consensus on Phil Jones then lads?

The following below robbed from Metro:
    Vs LA Galaxy
    First half: Jones / Smalling
    Second half: Lindelof / Bailly

Vs Salt Lake City
    First half: Lindelof / Jones
    Second half: Bailly / Smalling

Vs Manchester City
    Lindelof / Smalling
    Bailly / Jones

Vs Real Madrid
    First half: Bailly / Jones
    Second half: Lindelof / Smalling

Vs Barcelona
    First half: Smalling / Lindelof
    Second half: Bailly / Jones

Vs Valerenga
    Eric Bailly / Phil Jones

Then against Sampdoria, Lindelof and Smalling started with Jones and Bailly coming on for the last 15 minutes.

I think it's pretty obvious that Jones will be starting the season alongside Bailly based on the above, but the question has to be for how long before Lindelof gets in?

Worth a punt as a cheap way in to the United defence up until say the international break?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Paully D wrote: »
    What's the consensus on Phil Jones then lads?

The following below robbed from Metro:

Then against Sampdoria, Lindelof and Smalling started with Jones and Bailly coming on for the last 15 minutes.

I think it's pretty obvious that Jones will be starting the season alongside Bailly based on the above, but the question has to be for how long before Lindelof gets in?

Worth a punt as a cheap way in to the United defence up until say the international break?

High risk high reward.

I think if you're committed to an early wildcard then it's worth it for a week or three, but it's really only a matter of time until he dies again/Lindelof displaces him.

Reluctantly looking at JWP now. Austin not playing such a troll. Though the fact he got no minutes at all might suggest he's carrying a little knock and wasn't risked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Haven't even logged into the FPL site yet as I know it will start rows with the missus that FF is back:)....will wait till after Charity Shield!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

JwP and Zaha firmly for consideration now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Firminio still on pens for pool,milner on pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Which 4.0 defender is best to buy purely to avoid a price drop?

I know the highest owned like Rangel will drop quickest if not played due to mass sales. But is it best to buy lowest owned such as Stankovic (0.3% - will just a few sales move his value?) or could or go for someone in the middle like Haidara on 2% ownership?

I generally don't play wild card early and don't want to have to waste a transfer trying to escape a drop on 5th defender.. is the history of last seasons price drops available from somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Milner out!!!

Firmino incoming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Trippier went off injured for spurs. Could change everything

will Tadic be on pens i wonder if Austin's a non-starter

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Trippier went off injured for spurs. Could change everything
    My team was more or less done last week
    Now
    Trippier and Austin have given me headaches
    Danilo may be worth a punt now for the few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Austin didn't play a minute. I'd say he had a knock and was rested.. Will probably still be in my team

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Austin didn't play a minute. I'd say he had a knock and was rested.. Will probably still be in my team

But gabbi scored ......will wait to see what pelligrino says anyway cos I was happy with my front 8
    Of course if fabregas doesn't play well tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

willian is crazy value at 7m imo. nailed on, looks most likely to give attacking returns from chelsea's midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

froog wrote: »
    willian is crazy value at 7m imo. nailed on, looks most likely to give attacking returns from chelsea's midfield.

How long is he nailed on for as going by past evidence he is out of the team once Pedro and hazard are fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

How long is he nailed on for as going by past evidence he is out of the team once Pedro and hazard are fit.

hazard will be out for at least 4-6 games i reckon, conte was even reluctant to give an expected return date. and will need to build up fitness slowly with sub starts. 4-6 games of willian suits me fine.

Are you actually pretending to plan past your GW3 Wildcard again?? :D:D;)

Southampton are signing some midfielder from juventus for 20 million ............
    Newcastle apparently in for Adrian ........

km79 wrote: »
    Southampton are signing some midfielder from juventus for 20 million ............
    Newcastle apparently in for Adrian ........

Newcastle move for Adrian ongoing for a while but Palace were favourites last I heard.

Struggling with Pogba & Kane or Alli & Lukaku with the former being 0.5m cheaper and that combo could also be on penos.

I think my preference is for Alli and Lukaku though

Struggling with Pogba & Kane or Alli & Lukaku with the former being 0.5m cheaper and that combo could also be on penos.

I think my preference is for Alli and Lukaku though

Pogba has done nothing yet to suggest he'll be any better an FPL asset this season. Even playing ahead of Matic he was not showing much. Could be great, but a bit of a punt early on. I'd also expect Lukaku to be on the pens.

I have not seen one single minute of any team in reseason and it's making the big calls really difficult.

I have not seen one single minute of any team in reseason and it's making the big calls really difficult.

Not seen much myself but been following reports and other sources closely.

Was at United v Sampdoria though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Why do people think Austin will start ahead of Gabbiadini? Gabby came in and did very well barring the end of the season where the whole team played pretty shít anyway.

Advertisement