Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General FPL Chat 2017/18

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Gabriel of Arsenal has left for Valencia.

At least we won't be able to complain when he only plays one game of DGW34 this season after representing great enabling value.... :pac:

Two seasons in a row I fell for his DGW enabling tomfoolery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

I think you need a better option than Carroll to BB. The other 3 have the ideal fixture. No need to wait for a dgw but not quite strong enough for this gw.

This yeah. Even a decent 5.0 like Atsu if he continues to show form.

Once you have that plus decent fixtures for the 2 defs and GK it's very viable.

The only rider I'd put on it is that it all, completely, depends on the actual makeup of the DGW fixtures wise.

Last season all the cheaper enabler type players who'd make up your bench had either no double or awful fixtures.

If you had a DGW where an Atsu or an Albrighton or a Tadic even, plus some decent 4.5ish defs had decent double fixtures then the BB DGW is back on. Like imagine Hull had a DGW37 and 2 he games last year and you coulda got 2 X 4.3 defs

While I'm open to a good sgw BB being very valid, keeping an open mind and being flexible is king. Like I wouldn't say a SGW BB is definitely the way to go, as the fixtures could line up and you could be kicking yourself. I don't think I'll decide on when to play it till the DGWs start to take even rough shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Hogey007 wrote: »
    As was pointed out, you can take hits or hang onto average players way too long because they have a dgw that can negate the value gained by bb.
    That's a key point and my war horse for ages :D!

But I'd save it for now like others said, you should be able to get a "better" bench later.
    FHFC wrote: »
    While I'm open to a good sgw BB being very valid, keeping an open mind and being flexible is king. Like I wouldn't say a SGW BB is definitely the way to go, as the fixtures could line up and you could be kicking yourself. I don't think I'll decide on when to play it till the DGWs start to take even rough shape.
    It's a good point but don't forget to take into account all the planning to the DGW BB and the consequences of the BB in the following GWs. I found you need some kinda planets alignment for it to really work globally and not only for the BB DGW.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

You also have to factor in this new chip we have to use which also could be a valuable chip to use in a dgw. You could go with 11 really strong options for just 1 gw and all the cheapest players in the game on your bench before the squad reverts back to normal. TC and that new chip could be more useful/ beneficial than BB in a dgw .

Was there discussion last year on double game weeks, in that there should be less this year? Can't remember the context, but I recall someone posting it. Would impact the strategy of when best to use the chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Dónal wrote: »
    Was there discussion last year on double game weeks, in that there should be less this year? Can't remember the context, but I recall someone posting it. Would impact the strategy of when best to use the chips.

I haven't looked at it in great detail but last year there were less games rescheduled due to the midweek after fa cup qf being free so games didn't get rescheduled. That doesn't usually happen so I'd imagine more games will need to get rescheduled this year. Usually we have 2 fairly big dgws whereas last year there was only really 1 with a number of smaller dgws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Can't see myself ever having more than 11 DGWers. BB should be used if your bench is decent whenever that week happens to be.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Can't see myself ever having more than 11 DGWers. BB should be used if your bench is decent whenever that week happens to be.

Yes but some of the 11 dgwers can be your bench. Always likely to be a few big hitter SGW players you are not gonna drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Saw Mustafi is back & Per is available. Will Holding start? Undecided between him and go 4 ATB or Carroll instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

CSWS101 wrote: »
    Saw Mustafi is back & Per is available. Will Holding start? Undecided between him and go 4 ATB or Carroll instead.

I'd say Holdings time is over
    He was destroyed last weekend confidence wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

km79 wrote: »
    I'd say Holdings time is over
    He was destroyed last weekend confidence wise

Aye thought that, he was shocking against Leicester. Think I will give Carroll the nod.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Big Borg

Has the Fantasy website crashed?  Not working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SoftMicro

Big Borg wrote: »
    Has the Fantasy website crashed?  Not working.

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

https://twitter.com/artemidorus_1/status/899320932849901568

Agree with this. He has been so unlucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Definitely captaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Resisting the urge to rage wildcard. I've picked these lads for a reason. Hope my faith in Kane, KDB etc is rewarded soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

No Tottenham coverage right now but I really think they could destroy Burnley next weekend. Very unlucky today and Burnley won't be able to be compact in the wide open space of Wembley.

There is a universe where I free hit (change the team just for one week then it reverts back) and bring in all 3 of Alli/Eriksen/Kane. Combine them with players from Watford, United, City and Palace.

Fairly sure United won't be putting up a 4-0 against Leicester next week too, which makes it even more appealing - those who went with Alli/Eriksen and Kane over the likes of Lukaku/Salah/Mane/Pogba/Miki could have a big comeback next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Markx

Mokuba wrote: »

Fairly sure United won't be putting up a 4-0 against Leicester next week too, which makes it even more appealing - those who went with Alli/Eriksen and Kane over the likes of Lukaku/Salah/Mane/Pogba/Miki could have a big comeback next week.

The did Leicester 4-1 at Old Trafford last season.....so who knows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Markx wrote: »
    The did Leicester 4-1 at Old Trafford last season.....so who knows...

True, but under Ranieri.

Shakespeare has them looking pretty solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Markx

Mokuba wrote: »
    True, but under Ranieri.

Shakespeare has them looking pretty solid.

Leicester are fourth worst for goal attempts conceded so far this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Has anybody experienced pettiness over winning a league in the past? Won one paid league last year so they set up a new one this year so I wouldn't be automatically in it.One of the lads in it told me it was because I was basically "not from the parish". One of their own didn't win the money and they got all sulky.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

zerks wrote: »
    Has anybody experienced pettiness over winning a league in the past? Won one paid league last year so they set up a new one this year so I wouldn't be automatically in it.One of the lads in it told me it was because I was basically "not from the parish". One of their own didn't win the money and they got all sulky.

That's fairly bad alright. Chances are you won't win it two season in a row though so be thankful that you won't have to hand over your money to them!!

Still though, yeah, that's fairly pathetic!

If you're a hustler like some of us I'd not be surprised if you weren't overly welcome in a fairly casual pay league. My work stopped doing one after I was there 2 years. In fairness most of them weren't big into it and were not relishing handing me another tenner.

I'm in a work related one where a supplier i deal with matches the tenner entry and a pot of about €400. Won it 2 years running now, if I win it a third I'll probably have to withdraw next year or I'll start to look like a prick!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭McBain11

Not myself personally, but I know a lad who won the paid league in his local a couple of years in a row, and they just told him him straight out he wasn't allowed enter anymore! Absolutely mental stuff, money makes people do quare things altogether.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

FHFC wrote: »
    If you're a hustler like some of us I'd not be surprised if you weren't overly welcome in a fairly casual pay league. My work stopped doing one after I was there 2 years. In fairness most of them weren't big into it and were not relishing handing me another tenner.

I'm in a work related one where a supplier i deal with matches the tenner entry and a pot of about €400. Won it 2 years running now, if I win it a third I'll probably have to withdraw next year or I'll start to look like a prick!! :)

But surely that's their fault for entering a paid league but still not taking it seriously. I mean, it is possible to both take it seriously and enjoy it at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Wilberto wrote: »
    That's fairly bad alright. Chances are you won't win it two season in a row though so be thankful that you won't have to hand over your money to them!!

Still though, yeah, that's fairly pathetic!

Yeah,they were happy enough when I could barely scrape a score over 35 for a few weeks but once I got things in order and won the thing they got sour.
    The missus used to partake in a paid league where she worked,big prize money and was headed to win the thing until somebody gave a former employee the code to enter after he found out he'd a better score, the ones running the league were too polite to tell him to piss off.Basically he hustled them and walked away with a lot of money.

Wilberto wrote: »
    But surely that's their fault for entering a paid league but still not taking it seriously. I mean, it is possible to both take it seriously and enjoy it at the same time.

Ah yeah but these are normal lads who play the game for a bit of craic and throw in a tenner for a bit of extra interest. When they invited me in they didn't know they were getting a serious FPL freak who was almost certainly gonna take their money. As ever there was someone who ran me close each year which is good as it doesn't look totally obvious. If I do it 3 years running it'll be a little impolite at best for an invitational league where the company are putting up a couple of hundred quid towards the prize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭Invincible

McBain11 wrote: »

Not myself personally, but I know a lad who won the paid league in his local a couple of years in a row, and they just told him him straight out he wasn't allowed enter anymore! Absolutely mental stuff, money makes people do quare things altogether.

If I was him, I'd become "director of football" for another participant and sit back and laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Totally understandable if it's a relatively close group like ex teammates, work or pub. But saying that, don't take the entry fee if it's not fair game.

The only pay league I'm in is ex teammates. A few friends of friends are allowed in once their history is checked :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Advertisement