Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General FPL Chat 2017/18

Comments

tailgunner wrote: »
    I'll be doing something very similar. I only started doing well last season when I stopped trying to be too clever and just picked the players I liked instead.

Good chance I'll end up with Kun, Kane, Alexis and Alonso on wildcard this week, along with a host of 3.9m non-starters and maybe Huddersfield's tea lady making up the rest of the squad.

I'll be firing in as many of those wingbacks as possible too.

I'll be carrying a very light midfield but fúck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I'll be doing something very similar. I only started doing well last season when I stopped trying to be too clever and just picked the players I liked instead.

Umm :o

I did the opposite last season and had my best finish. But then again the players I like are scruffy underdogs who I can mould into heroes :pac:

Did I enjoy it though? Not really but was an exercise in proving I could do the right things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Umm :o

I did the opposite last season and had my best finish. But then again the players I like are scruffy underdogs who I can mould into heroes :pac:

Did I enjoy it though? Not really but was an exercise in proving I could do the right things.
    Except aguero
    We all love aguero
    And none of us have him
    Well had him .....

km79 wrote: »
    Except aguero
    We all love aguero
    And none of us have him
    Well had him .....

I will have him.

And never let him go again!

:)

Except aguero
    We all love aguero
    And none of us have him
    Well had him .....

I will have him.

Except aguero
    We all love aguero
    And none of us have him
    Well had him .....

I will have him.

Yes we just have to accept the but if rotation
    In fact I think the only rotation has been after int break so don't captain him that week !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Do we all prefer Aguero to Jesus so? I mean, it's easy to say it now, the day after he scored a hattrick, but Jesus was doing really well before that and is a million or so less.

I was planning on throwing Jesus in my team after this gameweek anf take my first -4 hit to do so, but if I want Aguero I'll most likely have to wildcard. Now, I know the players I'll be taking out if I go down that route, but it just means that I'll be using my wildcard for Aguero.

Hmmmm......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Wilberto wrote: »
    Do we all prefer Aguero to Jesus so? I mean, it's easy to say it now, the day after he scored a hattrick, but Jesus was doing really well before that and is a million or so less.

I was planning on throwing Jesus in my team after this gameweek anf take my first -4 hit to do so, but if I want Aguero I'll most likely have to wildcard. Now, I know the players I'll be taking out if I go down that route, but it just means that I'll be using my wildcard for Aguero.

Hmmmm......

Jesus is doing well but there were 6 goals scored by City yesterday and he got 1 goal. He was also subbed around 60 mark in last 2 matches I think that's disappointing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Also, Everton have a nice run of fixtures for the next three gameweeks as well having come out of their bad run. I think some consideration should be given to them as well now.

Jesus is doing well but there were 6 goals scored by City yesterday and he got 1 goal. He was also subbed around 60 mark in last 2 matches I think that's disappointing.

If I use my wildcard, I'd have a front three of Kane, Lukaku, and Aguero! :eek::eek:

If I use my wildcard, I'd have a front three of Kane, Lukaku, and Aguero! :eek::eek:

And a back 8 of ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Also, Everton have a nice run of fixtures for the next three gameweeks as well having come out of their bad run. I think some consideration should be given to them as well now.

Stay away from them. Shocking team at the moment

And a back 8 of ?

Leftwingbacks and 1 midfielder and it would be glorious!

And a back 8 of ?

Just made it out fully there. It'll be:

Foster / Hart

Davies / Yoshida / Dunk / TAA / Long

Salah / Silva / March / Atsu / Carroll

Kane / Lukaku / Aguero

Wilth 0.1m in the bank. I could (and probably should) swap Hart for Elliot so I'll have an extra 0.5m for my midfield.

I wouldn't mind swapping out Silva for an Arsenal midfielder as they have good enough fixtures I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

What are those with Sanchez doing?

Iwobi preferred ahead of him today with Ozil out, yet Wenger said in the pre-match interview that he is now closer to starting games (despite him starting in Europe :rolleyes:).

I built my wildcard team around him thinking he'd be a shoe-in to start once the window closed, but £11.9m is a ridiculous amount of money to have tied up and downgrading him to say a mid-priced midfielder could end my striking crisis (not helped at all at the moment by the amount of money tied up in Alexis) by turning Firmino to someone like Aguero.

It's a tough one as Welbeck's injury today should see Sanchez back in now, and he has two home games in a row against WBA and Brighton where he'd be a cracking captaincy option if he starts.

Me? I'm going to hold, hoping that we've ridden out the worst of the non-starting Sanchez storm, and probably actually captain him again next week. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'm currently lining up for a 5-2-3 formation for this week.

Anyone else ever consider it ? :)

Just made it out fully there. It'll be:

Foster / Hart

Davies / Yoshida / Dunk / TAA / Long

Salah / Silva / March / Atsu / Carroll

Kane / Lukaku / Aguero

Wilth 0.1m in the bank. I could (and probably should) swap Hart for Elliot so I'll have an extra 0.5m for my midfield.

I wouldn't mind swapping out Silva for an Arsenal midfielder as they have good enough fixtures I think.

That looks like a good team to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Rikand wrote: »

I'm hedging towards 4 at the back when I WC around GW8 probably, but going full on 5 at the back means committing to deliberate defensive transfers which is hard to get used to as part of a gameplan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,148 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

Oh my.

I wonder if its now safe to come back out from under my rock and buy Juan Mata again?

Edit:
    Jose said:
    ‘The penalty taker today was Mata and he was out and then at 3-0 I let them take the decision,’ the Portuguese explained.
    ‘It could have been Romelu to give him confidence but Martial had a good 10 minutes. It was nice for Martial.'

I'm none the wiser after that

Just putting my WC team together.

Am I forgetting any of the mental attacking wing backs ?

Bavies, Kolasanic and Alonso are the ones I've my eyes on.

I'm discounting Daniels because they switch between 3 and 4 at the back. I'm discounting Cresswell because he's awful but should be assisting Carroll. City and Stoke may change between 3 and 4 at the back too.

Others like Trippier and Moses are in danger of rotation and at least Bavies won't be rested again anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I'm discounting Daniels because they switch between 3 and 4 at the back. I'm discounting Cresswell because he's awful but should be assisting Carroll. City and Stoke may change between 3 and 4 at the back too.

Others like Trippier and Moses are in danger of rotation and at least Bavies won't be rested again anytime soon.

Mendy is the one who springs to mind. I reckon he'll be up there for highest scoring defender this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,889 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

elefant wrote:
    Mendy is the one who springs to mind. I reckon he'll be up there for highest scoring defender this season.

Valencia?

Valencia?

Flat back 4 though.

I'm looking for the marauders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

Flat back 4 though.

I'm looking for the marauders.

Pieters, he's .5 more than what I'd be willing to spend on him and probably not as attack minded as the players you mentioned but is playing wing back and stokes fixtures turn favourable after the Chelsea game this week.

shineon23 wrote: »
    Oh my.

I wonder if its now safe to come back out from under my rock and buy Juan Mata again?

Edit:
    Jose said:
    ‘The penalty taker today was Mata and he was out and then at 3-0 I let them take the decision,’ the Portuguese explained.
    ‘It could have been Romelu to give him confidence but Martial had a good 10 minutes. It was nice for Martial.'

I'm none the wiser after that

Oh don't worry I was very very tempted on my WC but I had to get Miki and didn't want to double up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Mendy/Walker, Naughton/Olsson.

Mendy/Walker, Naughton/Olsson.

Forgot about Swansea playing wing backs. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Rikand wrote: »

No and I doubt it'll work long term.

Every season, we have this debate about performing defenders and why not playing 4 (not even talking about 5) at the back. It lasts a couple of GWs and then the debate gets buried once attacking playing start to shine.

Now. It depends which 5 you're eyeing? If you imply 5 premium, you'll have to significantly downgrade your midfield and/or forward line. In you case midfield with only 2.

Problem is the midfield is where we can potentially get the most points. I don't have the stats from the previous seasons but I guess the best scoring players are generally the attacking midfielders with a couple of star forwards.

The issue this season so far is that there are no performing mid-price and cheap mids. But Alli/Eriksen, Salah/Mané, Mkhitaryan/Pogba, D.Silva, Mahrez are performing.

Finally, wing backs don't always transfer into FPL points their great perfs. B. Mendy for example had a great season with Monaco last year. 25 Ligue 1 games. 0 goal. 5 assists. I was sure he had done better from what I saw.

I feel only Alonso if he keeps a starting spot (I've been away from the game lately so don't know where Conté is with him about his defensive deficiency) and Bavies (if Rose stays out) are really worth an extra mid spot.

Even Bellerin doesn't score as much as his stats would suggest. Kolasinac might become a 3rd interesting one but too short a period of assessment so far.

The likes of Naughton or Cedric are different since they're cheap enough and can be rotated. While it'll be hard to justify benching a £6m+ def.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

So Martial's got 26 points in like 120 mins of play.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

iroced wrote: »
    No and I doubt it'll work long term.

Every season, we have this debate about performing defenders and why not playing 4 (not even talking about 5) at the back. It lasts a couple of GWs and then the debate gets buried once attacking playing start to shine.

Now. It depends which 5 you're eyeing? If you imply 5 premium, you'll have to significantly downgrade your midfield and/or forward line. In you case midfield with only 2.

Problem is the midfield is where we can potentially get the most points. I don't have the stats from the previous seasons but I guess the best scoring players are generally the attacking midfielders with a couple of star forwards.

The issue this season so far is that there are no performing mid-price and cheap mids. But Alli/Eriksen, Salah/Mané, Mkhitaryan/Pogba, D.Silva, Mahrez are performing.

Finally, wing backs don't always transfer into FPL points their great perfs. B. Mendy for example had a great season with Monaco last year. 25 Ligue 1 games. 0 goal. 5 assists. I was sure he had done better from what I saw.

I feel only Alonso if he keeps a starting spot (I've been away from the game lately so don't know where Conté is with him about his defensive deficiency) and Bavies (if Rose stays out) are really worth an extra mid spot.

Even Bellerin doesn't score as much as his stats would suggest. Kolasinac might become a 3rd interesting one but too short a period of assessment so far.

The likes of Naughton or Cedric are different since they're cheap enough and can be rotated. While it'll be hard to justify benching a £6m+ def.

Thank you for the detailed reply :)

I have

Alonso, Davies, Lascalles, Naughton, Duffy
    Alli, Salah
    Firmino, Jesus, Kane

Choupo-Moting, Carroll, Loftus-Cheek

The 5 defenders all have decent fixtures, whereas the 3 benched midfielders are

C-M :: Chelsea (home) - Despite being at home, I think Chelsea are solid at the back. Of course, now that that David Luiz is out of the picture after his sending off, I dont know if that makes them any more or less solid :P

Carroll :: Watford (home) - He's a guaranteed 2 points (possibly 3) - But I have Naughton also from Swansea and he's a guaranteed 2 points (possibly 6)

RLC :: Man City (away) - Dont fancy palace in any shape or form against Citeh

Advertisement