Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Im finding it hard to get a summer job and having no friends

• 26-05-2017 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

So I recently graduated from doing a PLC course and it's just so extremely difficult to get a summer job for a young person like myself who lives in the northwest of Ireland. I've nearly covered the whole town in sending and giving CV's.

My parents are working and I'm in the house outside of sligo town by myself. I am trying to find volunteer work as well but the problem is they are short term roles and like it doesn't cover the rest of my summer before i head to college in late August/Sept. You know some people say the recession is lifting but I feel it's getting worse for people outside of Dublin to get a job!!!

I just feel so bummed like I'm just trying me best to get something to do but it's such a struggle to face for a 22 year old in planning what to do. It's horrible that I don't have friends here who I can spend time with. I just honestly don't know what to do, I feel hopeless and rejected ; (

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Could you work for free in either of your parent's workplaces? Or approach family friends and ask them. Or if that doesn't work, worst case scenario, put a post on your Facebook page asking if anyone has any work.

No ideal not to get paid, but it'll all be experience and good for your cv.

Are there any courses on coursera.org you could do online?

Also I'd treat your day with the same discipline as if you were at work. Don't get up too late, build exercise into your routine. Fitness blender on YouTube have excellent videos and no equipment is needed.

Could your parents give you a lift to the local library (or could you cycle there) to pick up books to read.

There's endless brilliant podcasts put there too. Tim Ferris being one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Tigger99 wrote: »
    Could you work for free in either of your parent's workplaces? Or approach family friends and ask them. Or if that doesn't work, worst case scenario, put a post on your Facebook page asking if anyone has any work.

No ideal not to get paid, but it'll all be experience and good for your cv.

Are there any courses on coursera.org you could do online?

Also I'd treat your day with the same discipline as if you were at work. Don't get up too late, build exercise into your routine. Fitness blender on YouTube have excellent videos and no equipment is needed.

Could your parents give you a lift to the local library (or could you cycle there) to pick up books to read.

There's endless brilliant podcasts put there too. Tim Ferris being one.

My parents workplaces dont take anyone and I dont really have many friends on Facebook (sad I knw) that are also unemployed. With that website you gave me, ill check it out and ill see about online courses. Its just really depressing that Im not having a luck on life atm for me. I just wish i didnt have to end up like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Vlove wrote:
    Its just really depressing that Im not having a luck on life atm for me. I just wish i didnt have to end up like this

That's tough.
    However, what you're experiencing now will help you in years to come. It'll help motivate you to continue training and looking for opportunities so that you have something to do and get to meet new people and expand your number of friends.

Also, you're current experience isn't unique. Lots of young adults struggle to get themselves in to jobs and particularly for summer work.

You could ask some of the places you've been unsuccessful for feedback. It can be hard to do but being positive and upbeat does influence potential employers so even if you're just dropping in a cv, be polite, engaging and thankful. I'd echo what others have said about trying every avenue even if you don't think there might be something out of it.

Finally, the day will come when you'll wish you had the summer off! Unbelievable right now I know. :)
    Best if luck with the search, I'm sure you'll get something.

P.S. don't be afraid to take something even if they say it's only for a week. It may help open other doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

You have a fantastic opportunity here- peaceful time to do what you want without huge financial commitments.
    Get fit - do the couch to 5k programme (free app)
    Start a blog - "life in the northwest". Even if it's just your own thoughts it will be good practice in computer skills.
    Take any voluntary work that you can get.
    Tag rugby? All the rage in Galway - very sociable, mixed sex teams. Is there a league near you?
    Start an online business. Are you good at crafts? Sell stuff on Etsy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Well done on being so proactive, that's a huge start. Would you be in a position to foster animals? Or volunteer at an animal shelter? If you foster from a shelter all costs are generally covered, they'll give you food, bedding, toys and cover veterinary care in exchange for pressure being taken off them while they try to find homes for the animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Well done on being so proactive, that's a huge start. Would you be in a position to foster animals? Or volunteer at an animal shelter? If you foster from a shelter all costs are generally covered, they'll give you food, bedding, toys and cover veterinary care in exchange for pressure being taken off them while they try to find homes for the animals.

Sadly there isnt any like that here in Sligo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Take the temporary volunteer roles, they look great on a cv and you never know where these things could lead. There are sports groups, clubs a surf school and an art society in sligo could you join one?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 LaurenPam

Hope you are ok Vlove. I know what your going thru

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

Could you get into cooking, baking? as others have suggested you could do your exercise and library visits in the morning and then spend that afternoon preparing dinner for your parents. Sometimes it's the little things in life that we find the most joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭lenan

There is a dog shelter in sligo if you contact some of the vet's they'd be able to point you in the right direction.

Check out Sligo volunteer website or FB page I think its human contact you need. The Cairde festival is on next week and alot of the volunteers would be your own age as would the sligo summer festival in August.
    See if gyms do rates for unemployed or ask your Community welfare officer. Can you sing? join sing for the sake of it in the hawkswell.

If your into running join sligo AC they always are looking for new people and put you with people at your own level I think its a nominal fee every week so very affordable.

A cheap night with some of your equally broke friends drinks at home then straight into 5th on teeling, disco and live music. Cinema 7€ on Tuesday night sneak in your own snacks. Join sligo kayak club again have a FB page.

As for people with alot of friends on FB who really has 500 friends !! I think people have one to two good friends the rest are acquaintances.

Get every morning at a normal time and go a walk, please keep your chin up, alot of people feel the same way as you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Vlove wrote: »
    Sadly there isnt any like that here in Sligo.

If you were interested in this, i know someone who did this kind of work when they lived in Sligp and could get details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Advertisement