Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened to the Cruisers?

• 26-05-2017 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭

So that time is coming up, I've gotten my licence sorted and about to do the IBT, now I need to settle on what bike to buy.

From the age of 18 to 22 I drove a Suzuki Marauder 250, sure it wasn't the most powerful bike, but it was the closest I could get to real Harley or Triumph at that age.

But now, over 10 years later looking around on various sites, donedeal, adverts and even on biker.ie I'm seeing nothing but more racer type bikes, or Suzuki Bandits/Honda CB 600's.

I don't have the cash to buy a Harley or anything like that, the budget is only about €2400 or so or I'll end up paying more in a divorce :p

I'm seriously considering getting a Bandit or similar in the 600cc mark, just because of the total lack of cruisers being sold either by done deal or even places like Lee Honda Motors.

So tell me lads, where the feck have all the cruisers gone because I'm sure there used to be a lot more.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

They're all riding BMW GS's now............:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chippy01

They are still out there, just needs a bit of tracking down that's all.

I know JR motorcycles in Wexford usually have some in stock

Find your dealer here http://www.bikeireland.ie/countyshops.htm

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

That list of shops is seriosuly out of date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chippy01

Pugzilla wrote: »
    That list of shops is seriosuly out of date

I spotted that before I posted, but it's a starting point.
    Basic google search will bring up more up to date results ... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Plenty of Honda Shadows on Donedeal around the 2500 mark

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Chippy01 wrote: »
    I spotted that before I posted, but it's a starting point.
    Basic google search will bring up more up to date results ... :)
    I smiled when I saw the Kawasaki Centre in Summerhill in Cork on the list.
    That's been gone a while. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

I dont know lad. Ive noticed it too. Every time I do the lotto I spend the day dream shopping and theres an awfull lack of cruisers on the new market even.

Keep yours eyes open. A friend of mine was looking for a cruiser on done deal. There was feck all for months then about two weeeks ago there was loads of stuff like Dragstars, Vulcans, Shadows etc.

Hold out till you find a cruiser you want.

Personally I couldnt see myself on anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Sonics2k wrote: »
    So that time is coming up, I've gotten my licence sorted and about to do the IBT, now I need to settle on what bike to buy.

From the age of 18 to 22 I drove a Suzuki Marauder 250, sure it wasn't the most powerful bike, but it was the closest I could get to real Harley or Triumph at that age.

But now, over 10 years later looking around on various sites, donedeal, adverts and even on biker.ie I'm seeing nothing but more racer type bikes, or Suzuki Bandits/Honda CB 600's.

I don't have the cash to buy a Harley or anything like that, the budget is only about €2400 or so or I'll end up paying more in a divorce :p

I'm seriously considering getting a Bandit or similar in the 600cc mark, just because of the total lack of cruisers being sold either by done deal or even places like Lee Honda Motors.

So tell me lads, where the feck have all the cruisers gone because I'm sure there used to be a lot more.

Maybe they all watched Southpark and thought..........:pac::P

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I was in JR Motorcycles last week and he had loads of cruisers.

Don't know what he would have within your budget tho

Uncomfortable, slow, can't turn, heavy, bad brakes, bad suspension, ancient technology.

Why would anyone ride a traditional cruiser these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Uncomfortable, slow, can't turn, heavy, bad brakes, bad suspension, ancient technology.

Uncomfortable.. Would have to really disagree there. My back loves my bobber but ****in hates the brothers CBR. My neck prefers the cruiser too (until I go over 70mph)

Slow.. Compared to sports bikes yes. But I'd still leave any normal car sitting.

Can't turn.. Yeah that's right enough.

Heavy.. A bit. Depends on the bike

Bad brakes.. Shocking really. You have to drive with that in mind

Bad suspension. Would disagree there too. Again depends on the bike

Ancient technology.. Again depends on the bike. Old bikes have old tech. New bikes have new technology.

Personally I couldn't drive anything else. I love the comfort of my bike. It's not a sports bikes granted but it's pokey as **** . and the sound is so sweet. I much prefer the styling of cruisers over anything else oh and of course insurance is cheaper too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I don't know, I personally found cruisers to be far more comfortable than a racer.

Speed is a non-issue, no one buys a cruiser for top speed.

Turning is fine, just requires a wide berth.

Comparing a cruiser and a racing bike is a bit like comparing a Bentley​ and a Ferrari, it's got a different purpose and style.

Where did I mention sportbikes??

The leaned back position of a cruiser puts an unnatural strain on the lower back. Most comfortable postion on a bike is the neutral position you get on nakeds, tourers and adventure bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Sometimes I suffer with lower back pain and even sitting at my desk is tough and riding a cruiser or adventure bike kills me, then I can do 3 hours on the blade no bother, each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

What a garbage statement : a Diavel alone blows all that out of the water.

And I ride a cruiser : haven't even left behind yet

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    What a garbage statement : a Diavel alone blows all that out of the water.

And I ride a cruiser : haven't even left behind yet

A Diavel is hardly a traditional cruiser is it though?

Actually it's not a cruiser in any regard, but name.

I drove cruisers for years, from a marauder 125 to a yamaha xv1600, insurance was cheaper but looking back that was the only good thing about them. Riding a k1300s now and I honestly don't think I could ever ride a cruiser again. ****e suspension and brakes, terrible ergonomics, couldn't do it again after riding the beemer! I might make an exception for one of the Harley night rod specials though, they do look class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Would you have the balls to say that up in HD Dublin??:pac::P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Would you have the balls to say that up in HD Dublin??:pac::P

Isn't that the same place that sells Triumph and Ducati?
    Those hoes ain't loyal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Where did I mention sportbikes??

The leaned back position of a cruiser puts an unnatural strain on the lower back. Most comfortable postion on a bike is the neutral position you get on nakeds, tourers and adventure bikes.

Ah, fair point, you didn't mention sportsbikes and that was my mistake. It was an admitted assumption.

But don't get me wrong, I personally have a massive love for Cruiser bikes going back to when I was just a small boy, and having drove one for a few years didn't find it really uncomfortable.

Some of the cruisers look cool I'll admit, but wouldn't own one myself.
    Would like something retro with more performance, XSR900 maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Chippy01 wrote: »
    They are still out there, just needs a bit of tracking down that's all.

I know JR motorcycles in Wexford usually have some in stock

Find your dealer here http://www.bikeireland.ie/countyshops.htm

JP Motorcycles (moved to Erne St as Joe got a very good offer for his Pearse St premises) have long had a very decent set of cruisers. Importing Jap cruisers was their bread and butter. Lot less cruisers tho. Gone out of fashion really, altho I've my Honda Magna 750 and don't ever plan selling (great cruiser if you can find one with a decent 90bhp from the 750 4 cyl engine).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Do many people still learn on them? People used to because they were fairly bulletproof, loads of them about in the 125 and 250cc size, easy seating position for learning on and not scary looking. Not sure about now with the current regulations if you need something that small to start on.

Advertisement