Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my mother covered to drive this car?

Options
  • 26-05-2017 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Okay so, up until now I was insured on my Toyota Yaris. I had my own policy with FBD. I had her insured as a named driver on that car. So everything was grand. Yesterday, I got that policy transferred to my new car yesterday. I was speaking with one of the employees at FBD. They transferred the insurance to the new car and I was told that FBD would send me out an insurance disk for the new car. I was also told to send FBD the old insurance disk which was displayed in the window of the yaris. As I no longer have a policy on the yaris.

My mother has a main policy on my father's Kia Sportage with Acorn insurance and also has 3rd party cover to "Drive another car of which she is not the owner! This excludes taxis etc." as stated on the insurance policy. Now I'm wondering of she is covered to drive the Yaris? The Yaris currently has N.C.T, and Tax, I am also the owner of the Yaris at present.

My father was talking to someone who previously worked with AXA insurance and she said that my mother is covered, up until the Tax runs out! However, I can't see this making sense as I am required to send back the old (yaris) insurance disk to FBD.

Any advice is appreciated, I don't understand these situations when it comes to insurance.

EDID: There is an error in the thread tital, it should accually read "Is my mother covered to drive this car?"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

job seeker wrote: »
    Okay so, up until now I was insured on my Toyota Yaris. I had my own policy with FBD. I had her insured as a named driver on that car. So everything was grand. Yesterday, I got that policy transferred to my new car yesterday. I was speaking with one of the employees at FBD. They transferred the insurance to the new car and I was told that FBD would send me out an insurance disk for the new car. I was also told to send FBD the old insurance disk which was displayed in the window of the yaris. As I no longer have a policy on the yaris.

My mother has a main policy on my father's Kia Sportage with Acorn insurance and also has cover to "Drive another car of which she is not the owner! This excludes taxis etc." as stated on the insurance policy. Now I'm wondering of she is covered to drive the Yaris? The Yaris currently has N.C.T, and Tax, I am also the owner of the Yaris at present.

My father was talking to someone who previously worked with AXA insurance and she said that my mother is covered, up until the Tax runs out! However, I can't see this making sense as I am required to send back the old (yaris) insurance disk to FBD.

Any advice is appreciated, I don't understand these situations when it comes to insurance.

Generally if you have a policy in your own name, you are covered third party to drive other cars that are not in your name. I drive cars belonging to other family members from time to time and I've rang my insurance providers a few times to clarify and I've gotten the same answer each time.

Now if the car your jumping into is something exotic i.e. A Ferrari or a high powered car then they might have an issue but I can't see a Yaris being a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Generally if you have a policy in your own name, you are covered third party to drive other cars that are not in your name. I drive cars belonging to other family members from time to time and I've rang my insurance providers a few times to clarify and I've gotten the same answer each time.

Now if the car your jumping into is something exotic i.e. A Ferrari or a high powered car then they might have an issue but I can't see a Yaris being a problem.

I see. But wouldn't someone have a policy on the cars you borrow? The Yaris has no "main" policy. My new car is a civic but she isn't looking to drive that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

I see. But wouldn't someone have a policy on the cars you borrow? The Yaris has no "main" policy. My new car is a civic but she isn't looking to drive that.

No if her policy has 3rd party cover she will be covered (but check the policy document as some companies require a policy on it, some require tax, some require nct, some require the car to be 'roadworthy")

Basically have a look at her insurance cert - it will state what she is covered to drive.

Cheensbo wrote: »
    No if her policy has 3rd party cover she will be covered (but check the policy document as some companies require a policy on it, some require tax, some require nct, some require the car to be 'roadworthy")

Basically have a look at her insurance cert - it will state what she is covered to drive.

Well, feck me! I was full sure she wasn't covered. I'll have a look at the policy and I'll post the exact quote later. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Unless her policy specifies that her driving other cars extension only applies if other car is insured by the owner (which is rare), then she is covered to drive.
    Lack of insurance disc in worst case can end up with fixech charge penalty (€60 if I remember right).

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    Unless her policy specifies that her driving other cars extension only applies if other car is insured by the owner (which is rare), then she is covered to drive.
    Lack of insurance disc in worst case can end up with fixech charge penalty (€60 if I remember right).

I see.

So this bold section is a reference to being caught by the Garda for not displaying an insurance disk?

I see.

So this bold section is a reference to being caught by the Garda for not displaying an insurance disk?

Yeah but the use of the fine is usually reserved by the gardai for getting at young lads in altezzas and stuff. She will be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

There is, or at least was, a company who did not provide a cover if the car belonged to a family member, or someone living at the same address.

Mine does say that the car cannot belong to my employer.

There are certain exemptions, so better call them to be sure.

Saying that, lack of another insurance was never mentioned by any of the companies above - just who the car belongs to was the issue.

Aviva years back allowed only engines up to 1.4. Most if not all companies do exclude vans, taxis and commercial vehicles.

Give them a call if you are not sure, but be sure if you do, they might give you an answer that makes no sense, or is incorrect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 conibog

Your mother won't be insured to drive the Yaris, because as you said there is no main insurrance policy on the car, it expired when the insurrance was transfered from the Yaris to your new car.
    I believe that the 3rd party cover to drive other vehicule only apply when the vehicule is already insured.

If this was the case, every couple in Ireland with 2 cars will insured one and drive the other on the third party cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

As far as I know the car needs to have insurance and then your mum's insurance would cover her

• Advertisement

conibog wrote: »
    Your mother won't be insured to drive the Yaris, because as you said there is no main insurrance policy on the car, it expired when the insurrance was transfered from the Yaris to your new car.
    I believe that the 3rd party cover to drive other vehicule only apply when the vehicule is already insured.

If this was the case, every couple in Ireland with 2 cars will insured one and drive the other on the third party cover.

Not true.
    Spouses, partners and close family members are often excluded for the very reason.

Also, if your partner has no insurance in their own name, they don't have driving other cars extension.

Most of those covers are 3rd party only anyway, except AXA I think.

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Yeah but the use of the fine is usually reserved by the gardai for getting at young lads in altezzas and stuff. She will be grand!

Perfect.

This is the quote now.
    Vehicle, or Classes of Vehicles, the use of which is covered:

Vehicle bearing the index mark and registration: 141-DL- Sportage

Any other Private Car being driven by the insured provided such Vehicle:-
    (1) Does not belong to the insured
    (2) Is not hired or leased to the insured under a Hire Purchase or Leasing Agreement.
    (3) Is not the property of or in the custody of any Company or Firm of which the Insured is a Member, Director or Employee.
    (4) Is not the property of or in the custody or control of a Motor Trade Business of which the insured is a Member, Director or Employee.

Also, my father want's me not keep the old insurance disk, but I'm tempted to send it back to FBD.

Perfect.

This is the quote now.

Also, my father want's me not keep the old insurance disk, but I'm tempted to send it back to FBD.

Better send it back if requested.

I once had a policy initiated (auto renewal) and then cancelled due to non return (didn't think of registered post at the time).

There is no reason for you to keep the disc. It doesn't belong to you ;)

wonski wrote: »
    Better send it back if requested.

I once had a policy initiated (auto renewal) and then cancelled due to non return (didn't think of registered post at the time).

There is no reason for you to keep the disc. It doesn't belong to you ;)

I totally agree. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

If you are really worried, she can always check with her insurance company. I think the only ones who require the other car to be insured are Aviva and it's written in their policy booklet rather than the cert. But I'm open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Perfect.

This is the quote now.

So as you see your mother fulfils all 4 conditions, then she is insured to drive your yaris.

Perfect, thanks a million everyone. She really likes that car and I;m happy that it's staying in the family. It's going in for the N.C.T test on Sunday week.

Appreciate the advice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

conibog wrote: »

As far as I know the car needs to have insurance and then your mum's insurance would cover her

Wrong...and wrong.
    This stipulation only applies with a very small minority of Insurers.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Wrong...and wrong.
    This stipulation only applies with a very small minority of Insurers.

That's what I originally thought! But since my mother is insured with her own policy on a different car. The 3rd party extension enables her to drive the car with no policy i.e. the Yaris. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

job seeker wrote:
    That's what I originally thought! But since my mother is insured with her own policy on a different car. The 3rd party extension enables her to drive the car with no policy i.e. the Yaris.

I don't think so.

• Advertisement

Gooser14 wrote: »
    I don't think so.

Apologies but take a look back through the thread. It's as clear as spring water that his mam is covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Cheensbo wrote:
    Apologies but take a look back through the thread. It's as clear as spring water that his mam is covered.

Well the Axa policy clearly states "the other vehicle is properly compliant with road traffic legislation". In this case the other vehicle is the Yaris & as it isn't insured I can't see how it is properly compliant with road traffic legislation.

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Well the Axa policy clearly states "the other vehicle is properly compliant with road traffic legislation". In this case the other vehicle is the Yaris & as it isn't insured I can't see how it is properly compliant with road traffic legislation.

Post 13 has it covered in this case.

Also - the vehicle doesnt have to have a policy on it to be compliant with road traffic legislation, once there is cover on it when in use in a public place (via whatever method available eg. Garage/trade cover, 3rd party extension) it would be compliant with the legislation.

Again, it always comes down to the terms of the policy held, some companies want certain requirements to be met - eg. Tax/nct some just require plain old "roadworthy" some require a policy to be held on said car. Most don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

She can drive it. It's just awkward if she gets pulled over,, so ensure she has a copy of the insurance policy that she is covered under as she won't have a disk displayed.

Your biggest issue is if your father is driving at the same time, your mam is not covered at all. And if she drives it more than the odd time, because many uneducated have seen this type of thing as some sort of 'loop hole'. Those people get hammered, and I mean hammered, if it goes to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

If the Yaris is uninsured your Mother will not be covered to drive it, it's as simple as that.

It's illegal to drive any vehicle that is not insured.

If the Yaris is uninsured your Mother will not be covered to drive it, it's as simple as that.

It's illegal to drive any vehicle that is not insured.

Christ on a bike....

Advertisement