Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Part time job and drug testing

• 26-05-2017 8:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I had an interview today for a summer job in a large irish company. During the interview, a DNA test was mentioned, and that it would be done at some time after I obtained the job, but that it could be delayed depending on when the people could be gotten to do it.

Now although she mentioned a DNA test, I presume she meant a drug test, I did some research and found out that drug tests do seem to be mandatory for this job, I couldn't find anything about DNA tests.

My main concern is that I would not pass this test. I really don't know what to do. I need this job. But if I do get it, I'll either have to take a risk and hope the test is delayed enough for me to pass or fail it and suffer the consequences. All I know is, my parents finding out I failed a drug test is NOT an option. And if they fire me after I fail, i don't know how I could explain that to them. I really don't know what to do. Could anyone advise me on the decision I could make or reassure me that I still could pass the test.

I don't really know what info I can give out about use online without getting myself in trouble

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

It would depend on what drugs you have concerns about. Most drugs are out of your system relatively quickly, not much more than a week for blood or urine tests. Cannabis and benzodiazepines are detectable for a far longer period up to six weeks .
    Good luck with your job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

What sort of drugs are you using? Have you stopped taking these drugs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

There's only one decision you can make and that is to stop taking. There's nothing else you can do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭Flibble

I think she might have meant D & A, as in drugs & alcohol, not DNA.

Every drug takes a different amount of time to process, when did you last use & what type?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Have you been offered the job? You may be worrying unnecessarily at this point. Stop taking everything now, you might be ok, especiall if you're not a habitual user and the test could be weeks away.

In terms of telling your parents in the event of failing or being fired, you could tell them you were let go as there wasn't enough work etc.

Anyway, the company may give an opportunity for a retest, so many young people experiment with drugs that you won't be the first or last to face this, and they know that.

Whatever happens, learn from it, drug tests are going to become more common in the workplace, and for drivers, so we'll all have to behave better in future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I see you having two choices: stop taking drugs if this jobs is so important to you or give up on the job if taking drugs is so important to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I had to have a drug test for a job once. I have never taken a drug in my life. But this was positive for opiates. It was for valium which I had taken for back pain and was still in my system. All I did was produce script and was fine.

I'm guessing in this case you're suggesting illegal drugs? As far as I know something like cannabis clears within a few days (this is from watching Jeremy Kyle!).

amtc wrote: »
    I had to have a drug test for a job once. I have never taken a drug in my life. But this was positive for opiates. It was for valium which I had taken for back pain and was still in my system. All I did was produce script and was fine.

I'm guessing in this case you're suggesting illegal drugs? As far as I know something like cannabis clears within a few days (this is from watching Jeremy Kyle!).

Jeremy Kyle is a bad source surprisingly. http://www.drugs.ie/drugs_info/about_drugs/how_long_do_drugs_stay_in_your_system/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When you buy drugs off the street or friends OP a lot of the time people can be buying anything and getting high off a few mixed herbs.
    It's one thing I never fully understand tough regarding how long drugs stay in your system. From what I've been told a lot of the stuff online can be a bit extreme.
    OP, your best option is to stop taking drugs now.
    If you do get fired I'd just tell your parents you were struggling with the work load, it wasn't for you.

Mandatory drug testing in prisons has reduced the use of cannabis but has not had the same effect on heroin. If people are determined to use drugs and evade drug tests they are more likely to get away with taking "hard drugs" than cannabis. In my view this is a dangerous aspect of drug testing.
    As others have said though the easiest remedy in this situation is take nothing and have a lesson learned for the future. Also I would be concerned about privacy if you tested positive. You seem young and would not want this following you about.

http://www.drugsandalcohol.ie/11197/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

amtc wrote: »
    But this was positive for opiates. It was for valium which I had taken for back pain and was still in my system. All I did was produce script and was fine.

Thats very odd, valium isnt an opiate, it is a benzodiazepine, a completely different class of drugs, sounds like a dodgy drug test.

To the OP, if it is a drug that stays in your system a long time (some are up to 60+days detectable in the hair, 30+ in urine), all you can do is try and postpone the test or not take the job. Faiing it wont work out well for you unfortunatley.
    Anyway, the company may give an opportunity for a retest, so many young people experiment with drugs that you won't be the first or last to face this, and they know that.

I could be wrong, but I've never heard of a job allowing retests for a non-prescribed failure, its instant rejection of the applicant.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

OP If you want this job you will have to give up taking any drugs and indeed sometimes alcohol if you are going to be working in a safety critical post, for example on the railway and probably most public transport driving jobs? These jobs are subject to random drugs tests as long as you're working there, so it depends on which you want more, the job or the drugs :p they can drugs test you at short notice and on the spot if there is an incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if they can't treat you like an adult and trust you enough to not be high then that not the job you need.

Unless you're driving a train/plane/bus/forklift or other heavy plant where people might die then screw that, no reason to drug test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I've done a few for jobs over the years.

Pee in a cup, then they do stuff to it.
    The results are near immediate now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

if they can't treat you like an adult and trust you enough to not be high then that not the job you need.

Unless you're driving a train/plane/bus/forklift or other heavy plant where people might die then screw that, no reason to drug test.

Maybe somebody wouldn't want drug users associated with their business!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Maybe somebody wouldn't want drug users associated with their business!

Nearly every MNC drug tests, so if ya want the money, ya pee in the cup! :D

Advertisement