Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming off insurance - is this normal?

Options
  • 26-05-2017 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭

I was prompted to ask this as I've seen a number of posts along the lines of "your insurance company will sort all that for you." Two weeks ago I was hit from behind while stopped at roadworks. One woman had driven into another and pushed her into me. Guards were called, details exchanged and cars pulled apart. My insurance company gave me two options:
    1. I could claim from the insurance co. of the driver who had caused it all, leaving my insurance co. out of it
    2. I claim from my company and they claim it from hers. But I would have to pay the excess on the repairs, pay a premium without my no claims bonus at renewal time if its not sorted, and they might not even be able to get the full amount from the other company (c. €1500). If it is sorted in the future I'll get my NCB back but no refund for the amount of my next premium.

There seem a few ways I can lose money on option 2 despite not being at fault here, so I'm wondering is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I was prompted to ask this as I've seen a number of posts along the lines of "your insurance company will sort all that for you." Two weeks ago I was hit from behind while stopped at roadworks. One woman had driven into another and pushed her into me. Guards were called, details exchanged and cars pulled apart. My insurance company gave me two options:
    1. I could claim from the insurance co. of the driver who had caused it all, leaving my insurance co. out of it
    2. I claim from my company and they claim it from hers. But I would have to pay the excess on the repairs, pay a premium without my no claims bonus at renewal time if its not sorted, and they might not even be able to get the full amount from the other company (c. €1500). If it is sorted in the future I'll get my NCB back but no refund for the amount of my next premium.

There seem a few ways I can lose money on option 2 despite not being at fault here, so I'm wondering is this normal?

Pretty normal. I was offered option 2 after being rear ended. Didn't take it but it did mean that it took longer to get sorted as the other insurance company had to admit liability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Standard practice. If you claim under your own policy, your insurers will seek to recover from the 3rd party. The majority will offer to tag your uninsured losses to their action (excess, car hire, depreciation etc) and will forward this to you on success. They will not pursue any injury claim as part of this

I would contact the 3rd party's insurers. If liability is admitted, go with the option of settling direct. If liability is disputed, claim from your policy and let them recover

Advertisement