Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Kona

Options

Comments

Hmm when I go to blanch I use the scp , why ? Because I save the guts of 30 mins waiting at the fast charger. Jesus h Christ how could anyone call that useless ? I just get back to the car and drive home back talk the way to Carlow.

Now if I get leaf II I probably wouldn't be bothered charging at all because I'll have more than enough for the round trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,490 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That's the point. SCPs are out of date already. Are we, as a country, but in whole lines of them along the street and in every carpark.
    Two lots of people will require charging, those without access to home charging and those on a long commuter run.
    FCPs, taking 10/15 mins max, fit the bill for both. SCPs are for home charging only, in the future, which is soon.

Yeah , the Kona should fit my needs. I won't be taking detours, like this one.

No not out dated because I could wish to travel to some place further and the SCP will still give me the juice I need to get back home, again, without needing to wait at a fast charger.

But by all means give me faster DC charging and many more chargers so I don't have to queue.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

A Kona with a 50kWh battery would be capable of charging at 125kW with current Hyundai/Kia technology.
    The rumoured spec of ~350km gives it an efficiency of 14kWh/100km.

Your 30 minute charging session would give you 23.5km of range, or a 6.5% increase in battery level. Barely noticeable and not likely worth the effort.

Instead I'm going to call in at the 150kW station installed by the WeWon'tBeUsedBy24kWhLeafs Charging company who recently struck a deal with CircleK to install one at every petrol station.
    They ban you from the charger after 10 minutes because they used to be called the PleaseDon'tUseUsWeHaveToKeepClearForShortRangeCars Charging company.
    You've taken onboard a healthy 21kWh and can happily drive another 150km with no worries, you even get a free refill of your coffee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

liamog wrote: »
    The rumoured spec of ~350km gives it an efficiency of 14kWh/100km.

Sounds about right. I've averaged about 11kWh/100km in Ioniq in the past month or so myself. Always in sport. Driving it hard. Plenty of M50 motorway driving @110km/h but not a lot of the faster motorway sections. That's a range of over 250km. Plenty of German / Dutch owners with a lighter foot report averaging 280-300km

Obviously Kona consumption is heavier because of its shape. But it has a much bigger battery. What's Kona's coefficient of drag, anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

European release : summer 2018
    350km (epa range )
    Another silent assassin of the fossil fuel industry
    The transition off oil kicks into high gear next year
    Kona, leaf , Model 3 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Think this could be the car for me when my Ioniq lease expires in Spring '19.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I see some prices on the Hyundai site now. Can't find any reference to the electric version though :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

ethernet wrote: »
    I see some prices on the Hyundai site now. Can't find any reference to the electric version though :-/

The combustion version launched officially this month.
    The electric version won't be here until Q1 next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

cros13 wrote: »
    The combustion version launched officially this month.
    The electric version won't be here until Q1 next year.

Here before March next year?

In 60kwh?

• Advertisement

thierry14 wrote: »
    Here before March next year?

In 60kwh?

Official launch will be ~Q1. When it gets to Ireland and whether the higher capacity battery may be delayed or not will be down to battery supply but yeah... late Q1 into Q2.

Test vehicles were spotted in public in Korea as early as last december/january ( http://www.etnews.com/20170113000375 ).

Hyundai has largely just been waiting on a new LG Chem production line to open at the Ochang plant to produce sufficient battery cells. That new line is supposedly up and running around the end of the month.
    Possibly near the end of the year LG Chem will start exporting cells from the chinese plants given they are not allowed to sell them into the chinese market since the THAAD/North Korea debacle.

In addition to the rumor mill in my industry... here's a few public refs:
    http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/english/news/industry/18276-popularity-ioniq-hyundai-ioniq-production-held-battery-shortage
    https://s1.q4cdn.com/337451660/files/doc_articles/2016/161214-Benchmark-approved-for-distribution-Lithium-ion-supply-chain.pdf

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Kona EV and Niro EV seen testing in Germany

https://insideevs.com/kia-niro-electric-spy-shots-surface/

Latest information from Hyundai Norway is two packs 42.7 kWh and 64.2 kWh for the Kona.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Test drove the Kona yesterday (1.0 litre petrol obviously) - really like it.
    The driving seat has a really snug cockpit feel. Lots of electronic stuff as standard on Executive model - large touchscreen with Android Auto etc, lane assist (freaky have the steering fighting back!), electric seat adjustment.
    Ride was a bit noisy, but had the Premium version with 18" wheels, a bit of overkill with only 110bhp on tap.

Would definitely be a front runner for me when the EV version comes out, depending on the pricing.

The one thing that gets me - no manufacturers seem to be putting extra power points in the back seat for charging devices, surely it would be cheap as chips to add this to the wiring loom during manufacture. Anyhow, the Kona has 2x12v outlets in the dash, so could run an adaptor with a long cable to the back seats to keep the kids happy. Unnecessarily messy though.

Edit: Just occurred to me, it doesn't look the most aerodynamically efficient, maybe it will need that 60kWh battery to get any decent range!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Was up north today and see the Kona. Looked really nice if a little small. It was locked so couldn't get into it but interior looked nice

the Misses was laughing at me and she thinks I am going to buy it when it is released :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Was up north today and see the Kona. Looked really nice if a little small. It was locked so couldn't get into it but interior looked nice

the Misses was laughing at me and she thinks I am going to buy it when it is released :-)

Well, she gets the Golf then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

peposhi wrote: »
    Well, she gets the Golf then :)

No she loves her Galaxy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

who_ru wrote: »
    Hyundai/Kia have some lame names for their vehicles especially Kia, I mean the Rio, the Niro..

Rio and Niro are not bad names. Stonic is a terrible name for a car do which is Kia's name for its car to compete against the Kona.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Stonic is a terrible name for a car do which is Kia's name for its car to compete against the Kona.

Well in fairness the Stonic is basically the exact same car as the Kona...both built by Hyundai on the same platform with the same powertrains.
    The main difference being one you buy from a dealership with a Kia sign out front and the other from a dealership with a Hyundai sign.

You are right though, Stonic sounds more like an own-brand energy drink than a car.

You should ask your missus if she would like to spend a few grand in Harrods or give it to someone else to spend ( stroll thru on a Thursday evening in July to see for your self) . I have been driving an Ioniq for 10 Months, covered 38000km , saved ~4000 euro ,

Met a leaf owner at an FCP last night, covered 161000, in two years saving imho 18000 euro

Get a car with this type of range and deciding on which petrol station to go to will be based on how good their coffee is ....

The tipping point is NOW...

Dglflyer wrote: »
    You should ask your missus if she would like to spend a few grand in Harrods or give it to someone else to spend ( stroll thru on a Thursday evening in July to see for your self) . I have been driving an Ioniq for 10 Months, covered 38000km , saved ~4000 euro ,

Met a leaf owner at an FCP last night, covered 161000, in two years saving imho 18000 euro

Get a car with this type of range and deciding on which petrol station to go to will be based on how good their coffee is ....

The tipping point is NOW...

Depreciation on that leaf will wipe out a lot of savings

No one is gone buy a Leaf with over 160k on the clock

Hope he didn't buy it new

He must have been fast charging nearly twice a day too doing that milage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

With regards to fuel savings....it's a no brainer..
    With regards to depreciation, what ice car would be better.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭listermint

How exactly ?

It sounds like he would literally get free mothering for 3 years plus .

So basically you are entirely wrong.

Entirely .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭Soarer

Tripe.

With regards to fuel savings....it's a no brainer..
    With regards to depreciation, what ice car would be better.....?

If your doing 80k a year you buy something that doesn't depreciate like mad

Fuel costs are minor in the grand scheme

Soarer wrote: »
    Tripe.

How?

A Leaf with 160k on the clock is worthless

listermint wrote: »
    How exactly ?

It sounds like he would literally get free mothering for 3 years plus .

So basically you are entirely wrong.

Entirely .

Its not free if that 25k car is now worth 5k after 2 years motoring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

If your doing 80k a year you buy something that doesn't depreciate like mad

Fuel costs are minor in the grand scheme

Yeah, I hear ya, but the exact same would apply to an ice, or any other car.....
    He still saves significant money on fuel which negates the alleged higher level of depreciation. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,490 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I know it's Grounhog Day but Thierry seems to have gone back 12 months, to the points he used to make then. Thought he had evolved but like the guy in the Dallas show, he must have just been, in the shower.

Yeah, I hear ya, but the exact same would apply to an ice, or any other car.....
    He still saves significant money on fuel which negates the alleged higher level of depreciation. ..

Thats true

I just dont see a market for a Leaf with that big milage

Who would buy it?

I can't even find one for sale with over 160k on the clock

160k in a modern diesel that can do 5l/100km is about 9-10k euro in fuel

Say you buy it a new 25k Golf diesel and do 160k in it over 2 years it will be worth maybe 10-11k after those 2 years, market there for it

Youve lost 14k depreciation and spent 9k on fuel

23k motoring cost

Leaf with that milage done in 2 years will be worth maybe 6-8k after buying for 25k new

Lost say 17k in depreciation

Maybe 1.5k on fuel cost ( you'll be spending most of your on fcp getting free electricity at that milage per year)

Say 18.5k cost of motoring roughly

I don't see how that guy saved 18k in fuel

He only saved 5-6k in those 2 years and would be charging a lot

Not including servicing costs as brand new cars need very little and are underwarranty anyway

• Advertisement

I basically quadrupled my savings ,

Had a ford kuga which would take me 650-700 km on a tank and cost ~80 euro to fill

38000/700 * 80 = 4320 , which is what i have saved in diesel costs for the last 10 months

the leaf driver has done 4 times that which brings him to the ~18 k in savings

And yes I charge a lot , always plug it in at night and fcp when I have to , which is more often than I like. That
    is why I cant wait to see the new Kona EV, which imho is as much a ground breaking car as the model 3 or the bolt

Somewhat similar range , more popular styling ( every body seems to want some sort of suv these days ) and more affordable than
    the model 3 imho

Yet despite the unveil being 5 weeks away I find little or no reporting ...

I believe the leaf driver was visiting the fcp going to and from work as he had a lenghty commute

Advertisement