Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Kona

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭Soarer

thierry14 wrote: »

Say you buy it a new 25k Golf diesel and do 160k in it over 2 years it will be worth maybe 10-11k after those 2 years, market there for it

Youve lost 14k depreciation and spent 9k on fuel

23k motoring cost

Leaf with that milage done in 2 years will be worth maybe 6-8k after buying for 25k new

Lost say 17k in depreciation

Maybe 1.5k on fuel cost ( you'll be spending most of your on fcp getting free electricity at that milage per year)

Say 18.5k cost of motoring roughly

I don't see how that guy saved 18k in fuel

He only saved 5-6k in those 2 years and would be charging a lot

Not including servicing costs as brand new cars need very little and are underwarranty anyway

Again, tripe.

You just randomly make up numbers to try prove a point? We can all do that.

Your diesel Golf, doing 100k miles at 60mpg and €1.35 a litre, comes in at €10,200.
    A long service interval of 20k miles will give 5 basic services @ €200 each from a main dealer, assuming nothing else goes wrong.
    On top of the €14k depreciation you've quoted, that's over €25k if the car runs faultlessly. Not to mention higher road tax and insurance.

As for your Leaf numbers, do you honestly believe that a 2 year old Leaf would only be worth €6-€8k? My 2011 Leaf has 100k miles on it, and I only paid €6k for it last year.
    But even if we use your Leaf figures, and coupled them with my Golf figures, that gives a saving of at least €7,000 over 2 years. Pretty much saving €70 per week.
    I'd be happy with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Soarer wrote: »
    Again, tripe.

You just randomly make up numbers to try prove a point? We can all do that.

Your diesel Golf, doing 100k miles at 60mpg and €1.35 a litre, comes in at €10,200.
    A long service interval of 20k miles will give 5 basic services @ €200 each from a main dealer, assuming nothing else goes wrong.
    On top of the €14k depreciation you've quoted, that's over €25k if the car runs faultlessly. Not to mention higher road tax and insurance.

As for your Leaf numbers, do you honestly believe that a 2 year old Leaf would only be worth €6-€8k? My 2011 Leaf has 100k miles on it, and I only paid €6k for it last year.
    But even if we use your Leaf figures, and coupled them with my Golf figures, that gives a saving of at least €7,000 over 2 years. Pretty much saving €70 per week.
    I'd be happy with that.

You have to service a Leaf too!

Insurance ain't cheaper, from users here it seems the opposite for some

Can't believe you paid 6k for a 100km at best car with 160k on the clock with batteries that degrade like a smartphone, that's a great deal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

batteries that degrade like a smartphone

Occasionally you make sense and I start thinking that you're just misunderstood and merely a bit of a cautious cynic.

Then you come out with this kind of pish and I go back to thinking that you're an elaborate troll.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Occasionally you make sense and I start thinking that you're just misunderstood and merely a bit of a cautious cynic.

Then you come out with this kind of pish and I go back to thinking that you're an elaborate troll.

Early Leafs did

Its not pish

You have to service a Leaf too!

You don't have to. It's a condition of warranty, but it's not necessary. Unlike an ICE, it won't stop working without a service.
    Insurance ain't cheaper, from users here it seems the opposite for some

Very few, but again picking numbers to suit.

From someone that actually has an ev, my insurance went from €525 TPFT, to €295 fully comprehensive.Most ev owners have had their insurance reduced.
    Can't believe you paid 6k for a 100km at best car with 160k on the clock with batteries that degrade like a smartphone, that's a great deal

Again tripe from someone that has no skin in the game.

My daily driving is, at most, 50kms. Over the week, it averages 30kms per day. Why would I need an ev with a 200km range? Or an ICE for that matter?
    My insurance has pretty much halved with an increase in cover.
    My road tax has quartered.
    My fuel bill has disappeared.
    My servicing costs have vanished.
    And buying my car wasn't a great idea???

I'm not even gonna comment on that battery rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Early Leafs did

Its not pish

I bought a 2012 Leaf with ~80k on her. Got it for 5k.....cheapest Leaf sold here afaik. 1 battery bar gone. Car was in near perfect condition save for the heater not working (something I plan to fix myself) and a damaged passenger mirror, which I replaced for free [I bought a set and made my money back selling the damaged one and the working one].

It replaced a 2006 Zafira.
    Tax was cut to a quarter.
    Insurance about the same.
    No service plans in mind.
    Cost of fuel is probably zero because of night rate electricity encouraging us to be more energy efficient.

The range matters very little when all your driving is within range. Would I like more range? Absolutley. Do I need it? No. I could manage with a range of 50klms per day easily, but I would never do long distance.

With the range of the Leaf, I am happy enough to do a longer journey and charge at a FCP. The fact that it’s free is just gravy.

You don't have to. It's a condition of warranty, but it's not necessary. Unlike an ICE, it won't stop working without a service.

Very few, but again picking numbers to suit.

From someone that actually has an ev, my insurance went from €525 TPFT, to €295 fully comprehensive.Most ev owners have had their insurance reduced.

Again tripe from someone that has no skin in the game.

My daily driving is, at most, 50kms. Over the week, it averages 30kms per day. Why would I need an ev with a 200km range? Or an ICE for that matter?
    My insurance has pretty much halved with an increase in cover.
    My road tax has quartered.
    My fuel bill has disappeared.
    My servicing costs have vanished.
    And buying my car wasn't a great idea???

I'm not even gonna comment on that battery rubbish.

Seeing as you bought it to save money, like all Leaf owners

Why didn't you just buy a Yaris or Corolla for 1k

Besides fuel cost of 20e a week on your driving its the same running cost, don't have to service them either :)

Leaf has maintenance too

Loads of consumables to change in it too

Batteries in the early Leafs degrade badly, proven fact

Sure ignore away

Seeing as you bought it to save money, like all Leaf owners

Why didn't you just buy a Yaris or Corolla for 1k

Besides fuel cost of 20e a week on your driving its the same running cost, don't have to service them either :)

Leaf has maintenance too

Loads of consumables to change in it too

Batteries in the early Leafs degrade badly, proven fact

Sure ignore away

Again, you've no skin in the game, so your opinion isn't worth the keyboard it's typed on.

But so you can actually listen to some firsthand experience...
    My car has 162k kms on it.
    There are 2 cells gone.
    I have a "normal" range of about 90kms.
    The most I do per day is 50kms.
    So I reckon I can aford to lose another 3 cells before range becomes an issue.
    I'll get fed up of the car long before the battery loses 3 more cells.

Also, you might let us know the "loads of consumables" that the Leaf goes through, so I can put aside my fuel/tax/insurance savings to pay for them.

Again, you've no skin in the game, so your opinion isn't worth the keyboard it's typed on.

But so you can actually listen to some firsthand experience...
    My car has 162k kms on it.
    There are 2 cells gone.
    I have a "normal" range of about 90kms.
    The most I do per day is 50kms.
    So I reckon I can aford to lose another 3 cells before range becomes an issue.
    I'll get fed up of the car long before the battery loses 3 more cells.

Also, you might let us know the "loads of consumables" that the Leaf goes through, so I can put aside my fuel/tax/insurance savings to pay for them.

Its not my opinion

Its a fact

Go check US forums and see how pissed they are with it

Will u stop with the skin crap I will have a proper EV before you do

This must be incredibly boring for everyone else, as it's extremely boring for me. So this will be my final say on it.
    Its not my opinion

Its a fact

I own an ev with 2 cells gone!!
    I don't need you, or anyone, to tell me how the range is affected. You drive an old diesel ICE. You have ZERO experience when it comes to evs, so your opinion is to be taken with a huge dollop of salt.
    Go check US forums and see how pissed they are with it

We're in Ireland, which has a temperate climate. Our battery performance is in no way comparable to someone living in Nevada. As such, maybe stop taking notice of US forums, and listen to people living here with real Irish world experience.
    Will u stop with the skin crap I will have a proper EV before you do

Oooo, you really hit me where it hurts there! You win the internet!

I personally, and I reckon I speak for most ev owners on here, can't wait until you own an ev. You'll then be able to stop with the misinformed drivel you tend to spew.
    You'll probably still spew drivel mind. But at least it'll be based on personal experince, not on something you read on a US forum.

Then you'll have skin in the game!

• Advertisement

[snip]

[Mod Note] You've had a pattern over several months now of misrepresenting both linked sources and other posters. Despite repeated correction, you've persisted in posting these false and misleading statements and despite every effort to give you the benefit of the doubt I can only conclude that you are trolling. There is a line between honest skepticism/debate and provoking discord through dishonesty and willful ignorance. You've crossed that line.

Because of the disruptive effect of your posts, particularly in response to threads and posts by those new to the EV & Hybrids forum I'm going to give you a one week ban. After the ban has been served you are welcome to return and post in this forum only if you're willing to correct your attitude and tone.

--cros13

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

omgwtf.gif

Finally a bit of peace and quiet, I was avoiding this thread because of all that.......

I nearly forgot what the thread topic was !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Finally a bit of peace and quiet, I was avoiding this thread because of all that.......

I nearly forgot what the thread topic was !

Something to do with buying a Yaris? :P

On topic: Any news on the Kona reveal... wasn't it supposed to be soon? Has it happened already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Patww79 wrote: »
    What exactly is skin in the game?

"Skin in the game" isn't an EV (electric vehicle) term. Nor a motoring term at all.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_in_the_game_(phrase)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Skin in the game.....
    It's a term from sports if memory serves me correctly. Either way, it's from the common vernacular, not EV specific.

The other poster who was subject to moderation is not "people only getting interested in electric cars to get any info". I found this forum very helpful before moving to an EV.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The Kona EV is expected to be revealed at Geneva which runs from the 8th to the 18th of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

It needs a sticky glossary.

Very simple to Google these terms - takes 2 seconds. E.g. searching “ICE EV” gives you an explanation straight away. Here’s a glossary that was near the top of that search result: http://thechargingpoint.azurewebsites.net/knowledge-hub/ev-glossary.html

• Advertisement

I sat in the Niro which I assume will be pretty much the same as the Kona. I thought it would have been bigger. But it's quiet spacious all the same.

If they can get the price right I'd say it will sell well, the PHEV Niro is 35K which qualifies for a 5K grant according to the price list making it 30K, the Kona is bound to be more expensive ? then a 60 Kwh ? 45K - 10 K grant + vrt relief.

35K Euro's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

I sat in the Niro which I assume will be pretty much the same as the Kona. I thought it would have been bigger. But it's quiet spacious all the same.

If they can get the price right I'd say it will sell well, the PHEV Niro is 35K which qualifies for a 5K grant according to the price list making it 30K, the Kona is bound to be more expensive ? then a 60 Kwh ? 45K - 10 K grant + vrt relief.

35K Euro's ?

Kona = Stonic.

Niro is a class size up (at least).

The Kona is smaller than the Niro ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The Kona is smaller than the Niro ?

Im confused by all of these :-)

The Kona I seen was like a mini cross over.

Best example is Rav4 and C-HR form Toyota. I would put the Kona into the C-HR version

No idea if Niro is same size as the Rav 4

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

The regular Kona is out , the EV version is being revealed at the Geneva Motor Show first week of March, an urban (40kw h) and a long range version (64 kwh ) , latter should get you 390 km real world range, yet they seem to be keeping it very quiet, no teasers trailers , leaked images ( without camo that is )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Im confused by all of these :-)

The Kona I seen was like a mini cross over.

Best example is Rav4 and C-HR form Toyota. I would put the Kona into the C-HR version

No idea if Niro is same size as the Rav 4

cfr6FJol.png

qXDnMcPl.png

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

The Hyundai Kona is almost identical in size & feel to a Nissan Juke. I presume the Kona EV will have similar dimensions?

BMW i3 & VW eGolf both feel roomier than the Kona, even though i3 is definitely smaller.

Edited to add:
    Funnily enough when I said to the dealer that the Kona was very like the Juke he looked like he was going to explode. No idea why as it was also a Nissan dealership...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That's pretty much it, the Kona EV is 1.5cm longer and 0.5cm taller.

It's essentially the same dimensions as the ICE Kona.
    The Kona is built on a smaller platform than the Ioniq. It's Kia twin is the Stonic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭positron

Kona teaser out - I expected that to happen, Hyundai trying to steal some thunder from Nissan's new Leaf.

https://electrek.co/2018/02/07/hyundai-kona-electric-suv-teaser/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsdjK8Xkgdc

Advertisement