Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Kona

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

Cant see a damn thing though , will have to wait till the 27th of this month

My inner child is hoping the ev will be available in the ironman edition

https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news/hyundai-marvel-build-kona-iron-man-special-edition

• Registered Users Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

positron wrote: »
    Kona teaser out - I expected that to happen, Hyundai trying to steal some thunder from Nissan's new Leaf.

https://electrek.co/2018/02/07/hyundai-kona-electric-suv-teaser/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsdjK8Xkgdc

A little too late to steal much thunder though isn't it?

The Leaf is already arriving to customers. The Kona is only being revealed next month so when are they expecting to ship, a year's time presumably?

I'm all for more options but after Hyundai completely ballsed up the Ioniq I'm not optimistic. (By ballsed up I mean not having anywhere near sufficient stock).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

^^^

That. The world's production capacity of EVs (batteries) is shockingly low and not about to change much in the next year or so. Which is terrible as there are millions of customers out there ready to go EV this time. Unlike this time last year when only a few people had seen the light, now a lot of people would like to go EV, but they can't get their hands on any bloody EV.

I guess the huge increase in acceptance levels in the general public is to be welcomed, but it is very frustrating that people are still buying diesels when an EV would have suited their needs better, would be far cheaper for them, and of course would be so much more environmentally better for all of us, and reduce the deaths from cancer

Did someone say it was comparable to the Juke in size ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭positron

DrPhilG wrote: »
    A little too late to steal much thunder though isn't it?

The Leaf is already arriving to customers. The Kona is only being revealed next month so when are they expecting to ship, a year's time presumably?

I'm all for more options but after Hyundai completely ballsed up the Ioniq I'm not optimistic. (By ballsed up I mean not having anywhere near sufficient stock).

I would imagine most of the Leaf orders so far are from what we can call as "the converted" - early adoptors, previous Leaf owners, EV enthusiasts etc. When the new Leaf starts turning up at school / work / cafe car parks, that should have an impact on the interest? And if an average car buyer then goes online to do his/her research (big IF) they may hear about a new EV crossover / SUV that is soon to be available... If I recall Leaf 2018 new "leaking" around the time Ioniq was making news as a siginifant range improvement over Leaf 1.0...

Anyway, as a buyer, the more the merrier! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

Did someone say it was comparable to the Juke in size ?

Almost identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

There are about 6 other battery gigafactories coming on line, according to this guy . Well worth a watch for EV enthusiasts. Has a compelling thesis on the the transportation disruption which imho starts just about now ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53MfPZjq-i8

Arbie wrote: »
    Almost identical.

Shame as it could have had a lot of potential if it were larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Dragging up this thread as it's probably the most appropriate place. Anyone got any software updates recently? Just curious if we get them at any decent cadence over here, or is just a matter of whatever's available during your annual service?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭innrain

Yes. 30k service was done 2 weeks ago and they've mentioned a software "recall". Didn't see any difference in charging curve. Nor any improvements in the 12V low voltage warnings.

• Advertisement

Yesterday I've noticed something which should be due to the SW update. On AC charging the remaining time gets updated if the charging speed varies. It used to remain the one calculated at the start of the charging process. Some chargers will have load balancing and will vary the current supplied.

Has anyone looked into getting grippier tyres for the front?

Reports are that the EU Czech produced units have Michelin Primacy 4 fitted. One factor for the improved range. I trained myself to avoid the spinning. I will look for something quieter as on some older motorways the noise is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭championc

Anyone with an MY20 and 3 Phase Zappi2 needs to do a firmware update urgently

https://myenergi.info/important-safety-notice-kia-e-niro-new-2020-model--t2043.html

For anyone who may be caught by this Zappi2 MyEnergi issue, MyEnergi have rolled out the long awaited v3 firmware (3.033) and they've also upgraded the hub (3.021) firmware too.

https://myenergi.info/zappi-2-firmware-release-v3-033-t2118.html

https://myenergi.info/hub-firmware-release-v3-021-t2142.html

innrain wrote: »
    Reports are that the EU Czech produced units have Michelin Primacy 4 fitted. One factor for the improved range. I trained myself to avoid the spinning. I will look for something quieter as on some older motorways the noise is annoying.

I just looked up, the Sound rating for those tyres isn't a bad 68 dB, I think the Kona suffers from poor sound insulation, I test drive it and I found it uncomfortably loud.

The Goodyear EfficientGrip ROF are rated at a very good 66 dB and so 2 dB should be quite noticeable but to be honest I'd be looking out for wet grip performance and they get B wet C fuel efficiency, I'd be looking for A wet performance.

Michelin energy savers have A wet C fuel 70 dB and are seriously expensive.

Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 B fuel A wet and 69 dB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭eagerv

I just looked up, the Sound rating for those tyres isn't a bad 68 dB, I think the Kona suffers from poor sound insulation, I test drive it and I found it uncomfortably loud.

The Goodyear EfficientGrip ROF are rated at a very good 66 dB and so 2 dB should be quite noticeable but to be honest I'd be looking out for wet grip performance and they get B wet C fuel efficiency, I'd be looking for A wet performance.

We got the Primacy 4 fitted when we got our Ioniq. (Done by Garage, their choice).
    Much quieter than the well worn original tyres and no complaints so far re grip..

eagerv wrote: »
    We got the Primacy 4 fitted when we got our Ioniq. (Done by Garage, their choice).
    Much quieter than the well worn original tyres and no complaints so far re grip..

They'd probably suit the ioniq better as it has a lot less power but yeah,68 dB is a decent rating to be honest and if they're on the Kona and it's still really noisy then it's most likely down to poor or lack of sound insulation.

Michelin Primacy 4 215/55 R17 98W XL S1 are rated A fuel, A wet and 68 dB noise but about 150 each.
    the V or W (without XL) versions are 5 quid less but C on fuel eff

For me noise is bad on old tarmacs like N4 or N7 after J11. I'm most of the time on M50 and is not that bad.

innrain wrote: »
    Michelin Primacy 4 215/55 R17 98W XL S1 are rated A fuel, A wet and 68 dB noise but about 150 each.
    the V or W (without XL) versions are 5 quid less but C on fuel eff

For me noise is bad on old tarmacs like N4 or N7 after J11. I'm most of the time on M50 and is not that bad.

The Noise was one of the big turn offs for me and it shouldn't be that bad these days, indeed driving on the upgraded M7 would be grand but there's a lot of tar and chipping surfaces where I live. Even on the n7 3 lanes I found the noise bad but I don't remember what tyres were on it, maybe I took pics when I test drove it I'll check.

Most likely Nexen. 60 quid each

• Advertisement

They'd probably suit the ioniq better as it has a lot less power but yeah,68 dB is a decent rating to be honest and if they're on the Kona and it's still really noisy then it's most likely down to poor or lack of sound insulation.

The Ioniq is pretty fast to about 60kmh or so and so far no probs with wheelspin.
    Also its quite refined you can even see the thick insulation when you open the doors.
    Impressed with the Primacy 4s.

Here's the Kona I test drove last year, not sure anyone can make out the tyre make from the pic ? shame I didn't take a pic from the side.

3I23rqL.jpg

Here's the Kona I test drove last year, not sure anyone can make out the tyre make from the pic ? shame I didn't take a pic from the side.

3I23rqL.jpg

Starts with N

Yeah that's about all I could make out, Nokian perhaps ?

Yeah that's about all I could make out, Nokian perhaps ?

Probably Nexen?

Nexen N Fera.

Is is me or this tyre looks quite bad.
    521575.PNG

Yeah it's Nexen N'Fera SU1 215/55R17 94V on MY20.

mp3guy wrote: »
    Yeah it's Nexen N'Fera SU1 215/55R17 94V on MY20.

Hmmm, B wet and C Fuel and 72 dB noise :eek: no wonder, jaysus.

Hmm, I'd like to take it for another spin now, maybe the one in Carlow might have different tyres.

but, hang on, it was the 2019 I drove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭spakman

Hmmm, B wet and C Fuel and 72 dB noise :eek: no wonder, jaysus.

Hmm, I'd like to take it for another spin now, maybe the one in Carlow might have different tyres.

but, hang on, it was the 2019 I drove.

mine is 191 and has those tyres on it. think I'll be changing them soon!

• Advertisement

spakman wrote: »
    mine is 191 and has those tyres on it. think I'll be changing them soon!

Yeah would be a good idea! :D

Advertisement