Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Kona

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Picking up a 2020 kona electric premium edition next week (It's an ex demo model)

Any online guides for new owners? I know very little about electric cars to be honest with you. Any must have phone apps etc? Highly recommended home chargers - for the time being I'm just going to use a local on-street charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

shoutman wrote: »
    Picking up a 2020 kona electric premium edition next week (It's an ex demo model)

Any online guides for new owners? I know very little about electric cars to be honest with you. Any must have phone apps etc? Highly recommended home chargers - for the time being I'm just going to use a local on-street charger.

Here's a topic on apps https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112351433

Make sure the charging cable they give you is 32A 3 Phase.

And here's the topic on home chargers https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057839190

Unless you have a 3 phase at home (highly unlikely), you're looking at a 7kW single phase charger. If you have solar/intend to get it worth investing in a charger that supports it, otherwise you can get something cheaper. Get a tethered one if you don't mind the cable always being there outside, save yourself fiddling with your own cable out the boot whenever you want to charge.

Can you control charging on the Kona via an app? I.e. can I get a dumb home charger or do I need a smart one.

Thanks

Can you control charging on the Kona via an app? I.e. can I get a dumb home charger or do I need a smart one.

Thanks

Hyundai Blue Link isn't available in Ireland. But you can control charging timing and limits on the car's infotainment system. You can also location lock it so for example, it only charges during peak hours when you're away from home.

Anybody have a roof rack for their kona? Boot space is a bit tight for a family of four.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Lovely drove so far, serious overtaking ability when you pop it into sport mode!

Edit: one further question, does the hyundai live app on the infotainment system work in ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The Kona is getting a mid cycle refresh, rumours are that the powertrain and drivetrain will be kept the same. But the front end looks to be getting a redesign in line with the Nexo.

22_Hyundai_Kona_01_MFR-scaled.jpg?w=750

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-hyundai-kona-first-look-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Kona is a really nice size but there looks to be a good lot of cheap plastic in it. Am I being unfair to the car?

Gael23 wrote: »
    Kona is a really nice size but there looks to be a good lot of cheap plastic in it. Am I being unfair to the car?

No you're correct + palstic on the outside, no need for it at all. I found the E-soul nicer inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

No you're correct + palstic on the outside, no need for it at all. I found the E-soul nicer inside.

Did you try the ioniq?

Gael23 wrote: »
    Did you try the ioniq?

Yeah the old model, not the new one, I likes the old one and from the pics I've seen of the newer one it's better again, certainly better than the Kona.

Unfortunately the slow DC charging lets the new Kona down badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭obriendj

Anybody have a roof rack for their kona? Boot space is a bit tight for a family of four.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Lovely drove so far, serious overtaking ability when you pop it into sport mode!

Edit: one further question, does the hyundai live app on the infotainment system work in ireland?

Hi
    did you ever get a roof rack? Did you get a roof box too?

I am trying to find one for my kona that is aerodynamic

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

KCross wrote: »

I wonder if there'll be a US or EU recall too.Or even eNiro and eSoul.

<edit> Actually some of the articles are a bit confusingly worded, sounds like it might be a global recall rather than just contained to South Korea?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

mp3guy wrote: »
    I wonder if there'll be a US or EU recall too.Or even eNiro and eSoul.

<edit> Actually some of the articles are a bit confusingly worded, sounds like it might be a global recall rather than just contained to South Korea?

The Kona uses LG Chem cells, Kia use cells from SK Innovation.

Well, 13 fires after > 100,000 sold since 2017. Not terrible odds. Still might keep it parked away from the house until it's recalled or otherwise.

US recall too: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/hyundai-kona-ev-recall-korea-us-lg-battery-fires/

No doubt Europe to follow. There's some chatter around it being partially a software BMS upgrade and a battery inspection. Everyone needs the software upgrade and depending on a battery inspection, some may need entirely new batteries!

Punched my details in here https://www.hyundai.ie/vehicle-upgrade-check and got an email back saying;
    There are no recalls currently outstanding on your vehicle. However, there is a service action involving a software update available on the vehicle. If you contact your local Hyundai dealer, they will arrange to have this carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭innrain

There are no active recalls currently outstanding on your vehicle. If you have any concerns about your vehicle or are experiencing any issues, please contact your local Hyundai dealer who be happy to assist you.

Considering that I was for the service interval they have mentioned a software recall I imagine that was it.

innrain wrote: »
    Considering that I was for the service interval they have mentioned a software recall I imagine that was it.

I'd reckon everyone still needs that battery inspection however.

*Speculation* running the car without the BMS update can probably allow the cells to get damaged. So they need to check every battery that was run in a car without it.

They said it is a 4 h job. Battery inspection should be in the service interval anyway. Using evnotify from time to time and I get 100%SOH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I wonder will the software "fix" limit the battery in some way, possibly charging speed, DC or even AC, or even output to the motor, reducing performance.

Something to keep an eye on with these "fixes", make sure your car isn't degraded from what it should be.

Kramer wrote: »
    I wonder will the software "fix" limit the battery in some way, possibly charging speed, DC or even AC, or even output to the motor, reducing performance.

Something to keep an eye on with these "fixes", make sure your car isn't degraded from what it should be.
    I did monitor charging speeds. I can't get EVnotify to export but if anything they've improved (not much though). The taper from 50 kW to 35 kW happens a bit later. (used to be at 72% and now is at 75%).

On the Ac charging side I have noticed a live update of the remaining time. It used to be fixed. On load balancing chargers if you started with 3kW the 20h remaining was the same even if the charging speed changed to 6 kW. Now it updates after few seconds of the speed change.
    On the power output I can't comment. I still put a gap of 100m to the next vehicle at the traffic light so I believe is still OK.
    I'm six weeks away from the third service interval so I'll try to find out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I could see a messy court case arriving with the blame game starting....
    http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2020/10/419_297453.html

33,000 Kona's to be recalled in Europe

Hundred of millions of dollars in costs!

I would definitely be looking at the BMS update they are planning to roll out as that is no doubt going to be a hobbling of some kind.... reduced charge speed and/or reduced net capacity.

I would definitely be looking at the BMS update they are planning to roll out as that is no doubt going to be a hobbling of some kind.... reduced charge speed and/or reduced net capacity.

Yes looks like usable capacity will be capped / max voltage of cells. Shrug, still a huge battery, though you'd prefer it wouldn't happen for the price you pay.

I've only ever charged to 100% once so feeling pretty safe either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

I could see a messy court case arriving with the blame game starting....
    http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2020/10/419_297453.html

33,000 Kona's to be recalled in Europe

Hundred of millions of dollars in costs!

Cars with cobalt batteries will be looked on badly in the future

Sooner they move onto non flammable lfp type batteries the better

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Cars with cobalt batteries will be looked on badly in the future

Sooner they move onto non flammable lfp type batteries the better

Range will suffer though it just won't for the Tesla Model 3 SR+ because they have more room to stuff cells in because it can also houses the LR battery, however the M3 battery will be optimised for power density for acceleration and super charging, still decent enough range though, there are higher energy dense LiFeP04 for lower power applications which other lower power cars might be able to use but there is not going to be any real progress for battery capacity for years if ever.

Hydrogen Range Extenders is what we need. That would greatly reduce the need for minerals.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

From FB - Meath Crime Prevention Page.

"Navan Gardai are investigating the theft of 3 electric cars last night between 5am and 6am. The first from Bailis Manor a grey Hyundai Kona E 201MH##52, the next from Clonmagadden Pk a white Hyundai
    191D##70 and the last white Kona E 191MH ##06 from Castleview, Athlumney. If anyone saw any suspicious activity or can help to identify the suspects please call 046-9021445"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Absolutely insane that Hyundai don't allow you to disable keyless entry.

Absolute insane car manufacturers can't make keyless entry secure.

• Advertisement

The facelift was announced. Hopefully it will keep the premium specs, which got missing here previously.
    Hyundai%20Kona%20Electric%20facelift%202020-6.jpg

Advertisement