Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you resit leaving cert on your own???

Options
  • 26-05-2017 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Looking for some help as my research is leaving me puzzled, I'm a mature student who would like to resit leaving certificate next year to apply for veterinary science. I did reasonably well when I originally sat and have completed degree since so I'm confident I could do well however my problem is
    Can I study these subjects on my own/hire private teacher or enrol somewhere to complete coursework/practical experiments in
    -chemistry
    -agricultural science
    -biology
    -home ec

Chemistry is requirement so I don't have an option, the rest are subjects I would prefer to take.
    Maybe someone has the answers or can help point me in the right direction?

P.s. there is no mature entry route to this course and I cannot apply as graduate as my degree is business not science based :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Yes you can. I. Believe it's quite expensive per subject. Ring around the schools in your area and enquire if they will let you attend the sittings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Call into your local ETB Adult Ed. Officer and/or local schools to find out your options.

If you do not attend a centre for your subjects, you will need to attend one of the weekends that run the experiments (I believe Maynooth runs one).

You will also needto complete the Ag. Sc. and the Home Ec. projects under the supervision of a teacher. You cannot just present with completed projects. The teacher needs to be able to attest it is your work and they saw it at different stages as you completed it. The Home Ec. project needs to be submitted very early in 6th year as it is meant to be done in 5th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Looking for some help as my research is leaving me puzzled, I'm a mature student who would like to resit leaving certificate next year to apply for veterinary science. I did reasonably well when I originally sat and have completed degree since so I'm confident I could do well however my problem is Can I study these subjects on my own/hire private teacher or enrol somewhere to complete coursework/practical experiments in -chemistry -agricultural science -biology -home ec

You do realise you will have to pay full fees in college as you already hold a degree at the same level. This is going to be quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Caolan

Hi all,

Looking for some help as my research is leaving me puzzled, I'm a mature student who would like to resit leaving certificate next year to apply for veterinary science. I did reasonably well when I originally sat and have completed degree since so I'm confident I could do well however my problem is
    Can I study these subjects on my own/hire private teacher or enrol somewhere to complete coursework/practical experiments in
    -chemistry
    -agricultural science
    -biology
    -home ec

Chemistry is requirement so I don't have an option, the rest are subjects I would prefer to take.
    Maybe someone has the answers or can help point me in the right direction?

P.s. there is no mature entry route to this course and I cannot apply as graduate as my degree is business not science based :(

Yeah - its 100% possible.

someone mentioned the VECs - they are inexpensive and a good resource if they do the subjects you want.

Another alternative is the private grind schools e.g. Ashfield College or The Institute (both Dublin) - they may do online access and they do evenings meaning you can work Daytimes.

Another alternative is to get private grinds- though can be expensive at approx €20-€30 per hour

You can do yourself- just download the curriculum from the SEC and get a load of past papers and grind them out.

Technically speaking you must actually do the experiments and the SEC have the right to contact you and 'audit' the fact you have done the experiments- but most schools just get the DVDs from Folens or someone and let the class watch them - to be honest, doing them pratically is a bit of a waste of time.

I sat Chemistry and Biology myself and then went back and did the whole LC the following year to get entry to a course. If your in Dublin I cant recommend Ashfield college highly enough (when I was there you got access to daytime and evening classes + you got access to the courses at Christmas and Easter for revision weeks which was dead handy)

Happy to help or offer any advice (just send me a PM)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

What subjects would you need for nursing ? I did my LC in 2007 and got measly 200 and something points, but now would love to do nursing it don’t want to just rely on mature entry as that test seems impossible! Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement