Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whooping cough vac - yes / no?

Options
  • 27-05-2017 6:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

What are people's views? I've only learned about it from mentions here on boards! On last pregnancy, it was never suggested to me, nor on this one either! I'm 23 wks.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I was told at my 12 week appointment to get it....can't remember how many weeks to get it? They will probably text me.
    I was meant to get flu one but never did as was just do sick I forgot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Different docs have told me different times but I believe it's recommended from 32 to 36 weeks so the baby acquires immunity before they are born. I got it and felt quite sick after and a bit sorry for myself but then I met a lady whose new born had died of whooping cough and was so glad I'd gotten it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I got it when pregnant with my daughter and will get it on any subsequent pregnancies. I believe it's very important to give the baby a little protection while they're so small

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I have had a few doctors and nurses recommend it so will be getting it at 16 weeks as that's when they said I can. It provides immunity for your baby for a while after birth so for me it's a no brainer, especially since I am due in the depths of winter. I already get the flu injection so will continue to do that and will get my next one in September/ October as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

I have had a few doctors and nurses recommend it so will be getting it at 16 weeks as that's when they said I can. It provides immunity for your baby for a while after birth so for me it's a no brainer, especially since I am due in the depths of winter. I already get the flu injection so will continue to do that and will get my next one in September/ October as usual.

I'm surprised it was never mentioned. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

What hospital are you with? I am on my first baby and am so surprised at the differences between the care people get. Some people don't get scans at booking, different tests are done/ not done etc. It really should be standardised so you know what happens at every stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭BOB2017

I got it on Thursday, my GP suggested I should get it when I was in for my 24 week appointment - she recommended it because she said whooping cough is going around at the moment and the vaccine will offer the baby protection until they can be vaccinated themselves. She's had two babies recently who have gotten it even with the mother being vaccinated so they would have been much sicker if they hadn't.
    She had mentioned it at my first appointment too, hospital never did. I had no ill effects from it just a bit sore where the injection went in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Yep, I got it at 29 weeks. Doctor said there had been about 5 infant deaths since 2014 along the east coast from whopping cough. Never heard about it before this pregnancy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Minnie2017

My doctor recommended I get it between 34-36 weeks. And I defo will be getting it.

As an aside - Isn't it mad the variations on advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Excited_FTM

Midwife mentioned it to me at my booking in appointment in Wexford along with flu vaccine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement