Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to Get Going

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Wed
    1.9km swim
    300m wu
    4x200m pull with paddles. Hit 2.50
    6x100m quick pace. Hit 1.10 off 2.00
    200m sd

Thur
    Cycle, local 20km TT
    Better than last time. Did it in 29.08. Little more to give on next outing
    NP 326w
    Average 326w

Last week was away in Saudi for work. No training at all but been on site in 50C have have aided in some weight loss...

Tues
    48km cycle
    3x12min Z4
    NP 273w
    Average 245w

Thur
    4.6km run
    testing out the calf, using calf compression guards. Felt ok
    4.38/km

Fri
    36km cycle
    3x12min Z4
    NP 263w
    Average 244w

Mon
    1hr turbo cycle
    3x10min Z4 upper
    NP 289w
    Average 247w

Sprint Triathlon this Saturday in Fenit. Training not been great leading into it with work trips and sore calf. Just going to feel my way around it

Tues
    4.km run
    testing out the calf, using calf compression guards. Felt ok
    4.32/km

Followed by a 60min sport massage. There is a slight niggle on the right calf. Need plenty of heating & cooling and rubbing it.

Wed
    1.5km swim
    Main
    4x150m on 2.30, hit 2.00
    2x75m on 1.15, hit 1.00
    2x50 on 50, hit 35

Thur
    New tri bike shoes & spend some time working on slipping feet in and out. Should knock 20-30sec off my T1 time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

okane1 wrote: »

Thur
    New tri bike shoes & spend some time working on slipping feet in and out. Should knock 20-30sec off my T1 time.

Thats a huge difference (how hard do people train to drop 20s from a 5k?). What shoes did you get okane1?

• Advertisement

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Thats a huge difference (how hard do people train to drop 20s from a 5k?). What shoes did you get okane1?

Got Shimano SH-TR5W shoes. Not top class or very stiff but fine for a first tri shoe.

Any recommendation on tri running shoes?

okane1 wrote: »
    Got Shimano SH-TR5W shoes. Not top class or very stiff but fine for a first tri shoe.

Any recommendation on tri running shoes?

Nothing specific to recommend, but its an interesting topic (assuming Sprint/Oly);

Whatever bike shoes get you in, clipped, and off; are best.

Similar on the run, get into the shoes and out of trans. T2 is an annoyance of mine, I have big feet with a high arch- great for swimming but not so good for slipping feet quickly into runners. My best (quickest) shoe was a Kswiss velcro based runner, but it had a chunky heel which I didn't like. Otherwise, lock laces or similar, but they are never as quick as a velcro shoe. In and out as quick as you can is best though, whatever it takes to get shod and out in the quickest time is best. I just wish there were more velcro shoes to choose from.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Nothing specific to recommend, but its an interesting topic (assuming Sprint/Oly);

Whatever bike shoes get you in, clipped, and off; are best.

Similar on the run, get into the shoes and out of trans. T2 is an annoyance of mine, I have big feet with a high arch- great for swimming but not so good for slipping feet quickly into runners. My best (quickest) shoe was a Kswiss velcro based runner, but it had a chunky heel which I didn't like. Otherwise, lock laces or similar, but they are never as quick as a velcro shoe. In and out as quick as you can is best though, whatever it takes to get shod and out in the quickest time is best. I just wish there were more velcro shoes to choose from.

Why do you think velcro shoes are quicker than lock laces? I literally just slip my feet into the shoes with lock laces and run. No loosening or tighenting of the laces.

Why do you think velcro shoes are quicker than lock laces? I literally just slip my feet into the shoes with lock laces and run. No loosening or tighenting of the laces.

Big long feet with high arches. I've always envied those who slip their feet into shoes in T2; I use lock laces now but its still a struggle. Velcro makes a larger opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

How'd the race go at the weekend?

• Advertisement

Tri KingdonCome sprint report

Training leading up to the race was poor, ran and swam once/twice in the past 3wks. Calf was still sore. Knew I wasn't in the best shape but took to the swim line with a positive mindset.
    Swim was down current with wind to back. Felt good for 1st quarter, on the 1st/2nd place feet. Slowly started to drift back. Got on another set of feet, again drifted back. Final third I found tough, I may have swim speed but no endurance - it hurt like hell. Came out 6th.

Into T1 and what a difference. Had the shoes on the bike (elastic bands!) and it was fast. Blew through it.
    Onto the bike, out and back course with tail wind out, head wind back. Power was low and struggled to push a bigger gear. Overtook 3 and was passed by 3, 2 of which were teams.
    Into T2 in 7th (I think) place. Not bad here, some time can be gained, only seconds.

Run was out and back. 1st km I paced of a guy up the road but slowly he was pulling away. I was breathing very heavily and finding it tough. On the turn back saw a lot closing on me, nothing I could do. Several passed me.
    Finished in 1.07.23. 11th place overall (taking out the relays) and 6th in my AG.
    My take aways:
    Work on swim endurance
    Hold higher bike power
    Work on my run!!!

Since the triathlon last Saturday I've been on my staycation. 2wks off, time between Mayo and Meath.
    No formal training during the holiday, some running and cycling without following a plan.

Tuesday
    69km cycle
    NP 235w
    Average 221w

Wednesday
    62km cycle with Castlebar CC. Nice quick spin with some race attacking coming home.
    Hit 1192w on an effort to escape!!!
    NP 261w
    Average 246w

Sat
    Local 5km parkrun
    Ran tempo, didn't push the pace/effort
    4.13/km

Guts of 4 months since last update.
    Breaking the passed few months down.
    August was relaxing/recovery month.

From Sept to start of Dec I was training/racing cyclocross. Did the sport last year and feel it makes winter a) short and b) coming into the new year with race legs.

I competed in the Munster league with consist of 7No. races around Munster.
    Training during this period was 2No. VO2 sessions during the week, 2hr spin on Sat and Sun was CX training. I also added in 1No. run and swim a week.

First 2No. races I was in the 'B' race and finished 4th and 2nd respectfully. Its a tough sport. 45min race with an average HR of 183 in both. You're on the rev limiter from the start with NO recovery. Add in the running sections and its a great sport. You're cycling skills really come on - flying mount/dismount no problem...

From my placing I moved into the 'A' race and completed in 3No. My training took a dive due to work and family commitments and it showed in my placings, mid table for 2No. and punctured in the last race.

Moving from this week, I've started a sweat spot cycling program, on top of 2No. runs a week, one steady and the other an interval based session with the local tri club. I'll add 1, maybe 2 swims a week.

Signed up for the Kenmare adventure race in March to keep focus over winter, plus a few local duathlons.

I'll keep more regular updates coming.

Kicked off new training block last week. Have the Kenmare Quest Adventure race in Mid March along with a duathlon in mind for April.
    From last week.
    Mon
    FTP 20min test: after calculation power is 337w. Felt good during the test and reckon could have pushed a little harder

Tues
    Run with some 30 sprints
    7.9 km @ 5min/km pace

Wed
    Cycling VO2 turbo. 60mins @ NP 294w, Av 217w

Thur
    Run session with local Tri club. Pyramid speed work. 5.4km @ 5.06min/km

Sat
    Bad weather so road session on the turbo.
    90min with 4x9mins at 95% FTP. NP 267w, Av 235w

Sun
    9.2km Trial run at 5.27min/km. First long run off-road and really enjoyed it. Change of terrain/pace/environment was great.

Started off tired this week. Our little man isn't sleeping the best this week.
    Decided to add a few rest days this week, especially after I "almost" feel asleep on the turbo on Monday during a VO2 session!

Signed up for the Joey Hannan Limerick sprint tri and the Hardman standard duathlon. Few more on the cards which may include the Hardman 1/2 in Waterville.

Mon
    VO2 - 3 sets of 3 x 2mins. Only got 2 sets in.
    45mins @ NP 297w, Av 227w

Tues
    Rest - in bed at 20.30!

Wed
    Rest again, stayed up until 21.00!

Thur
    Upper end of FTP session. Felt a lot better after the rest days
    80mins @ NP 289w, Av 232w

Sat
    Got out on the road for spin. First time on the road in a while. Keep power in 80% of FTP for 80mins. Felt good. Still on winter bike with full mud guards - look forward to getting on the good bike
    90min NP 260w, Av 254w

Sun
    First run of the week. Headed for a trail run around Torc waterfall. Was cold but the snow/rain stayed off.
    5.1km Trial run at 5.30min/km.

Good week. Missed one run mid week, busy work week.
    Pretty tired today, on my feet all day plus 2+ hrs buggy pushing.

Mon
    VO2 - 2 sets of 3 x 3mins. 60mins @ NP 296w, Av 227w
    Similar to last weeks session that I failed on. Got through this one, power dropped a bit on last one

Tues
    External coached running session with tri club. Good content on warm-up, drills and warm-down.
    Main session was 5min at 5km pace, 10x1min with 1min recovery at faster than 5km pace and finally 5min at 5km sprint tri pace. Was good to be pushed by a coach and other runners. Clocked a new 1km record!

Wed
    Rest

Thur
    Upper FTP - 2 sets of 5 x 6mins. 75mins @ NP 294w, Av 238w
    Tough set. Found power increased on 4th & 5th set.

Fri
    Rest

Sat
    On the road biking. Got through 5x9mins just off FTP pace. Managed to skip the rain
    90min NP 275w, Av 264w

Sun
    Trail running, 3.5km straight up and straight down. Tough ass hill, picked up the Strava CR on one of the hills! :)
    7.2km Trial run at 5.20min/km.

Good during week, weekend bit of a pot as wedding up in Mayo.
    Still struggling today!

Mon
    VO2 - 2 sets of 3 x 2mins. 60mins @ NP 282w, Av 216w
    Steady tough session

Tues
    6.72km Steady run. Nothing major here at 5.03min/km.

Wed
    Upper FTP - set of 4 x 5mins. 60mins @ NP 289w, Av 237w
    Quality tough set.

Thur
    Rest

Fri
    Rest

Sat
    Parkrun in Castlebar. With one eye on a wedding same day ran it hard but not full pace. Came in at 19.59. Very happy, first time under 20mins on a tough 5km course and wasn't going at true 5km pace.
    Running is going well

Sun
    Hungover!

Advertisement