Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a car in Spain

Options
  • 27-05-2017 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here purchased a car in Spain. We re thinking of the best way to make the payment for the car when we arrive. I am selling my car here in Ireland and I am not sure if it would be best to take the cash over there and pay for a new car or to deposit the money from the sale of my car into my account and do an electronic bank transfer when I find the right buyer in spain. The problem with the transfer is that it would take a day or two and in that time I will not have received the vehicle and I won't have the cash while it is in the pipeline. This means I will just have to trust that when the cash arrives in the sellers account that he will say: "your car is ready for collection". This is sketchy IMO.

Can anyone kindly suggest the best way to do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

Even if it is like 15k?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This might help. Bank draft accepted. Or in this day and age EFT transfer I'd say. A little luck money (cash) might help with a discount, and the tax affairs of the dealer. OMG did I just say that! Wasn't me your honour.

http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-spain-car-purchase

This might help. Bank draft accepted. Or in this day and age EFT transfer I'd say. A little luck money (cash) might help with a discount, and the tax affairs of the dealer. OMG did I just say that! Wasn't me your honour.

http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-spain-car-purchase

isn't an EFT transfer a transfer from my irish account to sellers spanish account?

armabelle wrote: »
    isn't an EFT transfer a transfer from my irish account to sellers spanish account?

Yes.

But I don't see why a euro bank draft wouldn't work either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Fair enough Fred.

But OP should maybe consider hiring a car for a few days, and wait for the EFT to come through overnight or however long it takes, or indeed wait for the draft to clear. Car hire in Spain is inexpensive. Google is your friend!

I'm not sure if being without a car is the big issue here though. It's a bit vague.

Fair enough Fred.

But OP should maybe consider hiring a car for a few days, and wait for the EFT to come through overnight or however long it takes, or indeed wait for the draft to clear. Car hire in Spain is inexpensive. Google is your friend!

I'm not sure if being without a car is the big issue here though. It's a bit vague.

my concern is sending money to someones bank account and waiting for it to clear, in the meanwhile i have no car and no money. I would be a sitting duck.

armabelle wrote: »
    my concern is sending money to someones bank account and waiting for it to clear, in the meanwhile i have no car and no money. I would be a sitting duck.

Think outside the box.

As I already said, hire a car for the time it takes to source a new one. Open a bank account in Spain. Transfer the money from the sale of your car here to the Spanish account.

Pay for Spanish car from Spanish bank account, or in cash or whatever. Use a reputable dealer and avoid private sales.

Is that any help. It is what I would do I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

As far as I know, there is a cash payment limit for Spanish residents of €2,500. So if your car costs more, you have not choice about not using cash.

• Advertisement
Advertisement