Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist on motorised bike banned for three years for drink cycling

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Beasty wrote: »
    If it's a "legal" electric bike no insurance is required. The judge appears to have misinformed himself there.

It appears the Journal didn't report this as it happened. The judge appears to be saying he doesn't know the law and needs clarity.

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/251607/kilcullen-man-on-motorised-bicycle-was-drink-driving.html

The thing is there is EU legislation which we are part of that clearly states the rules. Can't propel over 25k and must be pedal assist in the basic form.

There needs to be more awareness among the Gardai. It is a matter of time before there is an accident with a non-compliant bike and somebody will get a nasty surprise as they will be done for driving without insurance or a licence.

I have a pedelec myself and know the models available and there are ons of illegal ones being used and modified ones too. There is a guy on my route that has he same model bike as me and he flies by me barely pedalling. He has the mod leads added to the bike so it gives more speed. He is effectively able to go 50kph and I think he is doing that at least part of the journey.

When I was looking one shop in Dublin was selling bikes that are illegal to use without insurance and licence. Was asking the guy in the shop how was he able to sell them. He told me it was a "grey area" and the cops would have to know the type of bike so you would never get caught. So his grey area was basically you won't get caught so it is fine. A few days later I saw a guy ridding one of the bikes and told him the actual law on their use and he was horrified that he had not been told when buying it. Saw him a few days later with a different bike as he brought the other one back. Still see some of them about and they aren't cheap €3-4k
    Apparently the law was changed as a result of a European directive and the Ines that go 45kmh are now legal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

ted1 wrote: »
    Apparently the law was changed as a result of a European directive and the Ines that go 45kmh are now legal

Only the EU technical specifications changed which has nothing to do with legal or illegal.

An electric bicycle which can go over 25 km/h but under 45km/h and power was over 1000W but under 4500W is classed as a "light two wheel powered vehicle", over that and it's classed as a "two wheel moped".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

GM228 wrote: »

Only the EU technical specifications changed which has nothing to do with legal or illegal.

An electric bicycle which can go over 25 km/h but under 45km/h and power was over 1000W but under 4500W is classed as a "light two wheel powered vehicle", over that and it's classed as a "two wheel moped".
    No, someone posted an updated S.I before which allowed 45kmh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

No, someone posted an updated S.I before which allowed 45kmh.

You need to refresh yourself to that someones post :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102419098&postcount=29

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I wouldn't be mad keen on using the term cyclist for someone who is using a 48cc bike because
    the accused had previous convictions, including a ban from driving for 10 years for not having insurance, five months in prison for not being of good behaviour and also a previous drink driving conviction in 2008.

48cc doesn't sound like much but IIRC 51cc is enough for a motorway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

I was in court. Neither the judge nor the garda inspector knew the law and it was an unconnected barrister who had the relevant legislation to hand. The judge had no idea that these machines have existed for years. The defendant's solicitor made the case that his client thought he was complying with his ban as the bike was advertised for sale as needing no licence, tax or insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

It must have been interesting to have been in court. I laugh at how stupid people will claim to be when it suits them. The defendant was smart enough to think they could beat the driving ban but not smart enough to know it's always buyer beware when someone is telling you something in order to get you to part with cash. The fact that it had an engine probably never entered their head ....somehow, I don't buy it. Alternativefacts!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If it is the bike I'm thinking of it isn't one of these ones you buy with an engine pre installed it looked to be an engine retro fitted to an old almost highnelly style frame. I think they sell kits for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That's them. Lethal yokes! All the torque of an engine through a frame, brakes and wheels that were never designed for those forces. And the noise of them ..."a good 'cycle' ruined"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    If it is the bike I'm thinking of it isn't one of these ones you buy with an engine pre installed it looked to be an engine retro fitted to an old almost highnelly style frame. I think they sell kits for this.

It was fitted to what appeared to be a mountain bike. It did seem more than a bit unstable when a hand signal was used. He has a nice electric bike now (assuming that the owner of the electric bike that I saw yesterday is using the same parking spot).

FWIW, the user in question always wore a high viz vest. That might be more relevant to another thread though :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It was fitted to what appeared to be a mountain bike. It did seem more than a bit unstable when a hand signal was used. He has a nice electric bike now (assuming that the owner of the electric bike that I saw yesterday is using the same parking spot).

FWIW, the user in question always wore a high viz vest. That might be more relevant to another thread though :P

I've seen that one knocking about also. I think there's a pair of them. The mountain bike may well have been the replacement for the original and yes always a hi viz no helmet. Safety first :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I used to work in city west and there was a fella used to head out through Lucan on one of these. Handy for drafting on a windy morning. :pac:

Advertisement