Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth upgrading from Ultegra 10s to Ultegra 11s

Options
  • 27-05-2017 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

I am considering upgrading from Ultegra 10s to Ultegra 11s.
    I like my 2013 Giant Defy Advanced 1. It is light and comfortable and there's hardly a mark on it so I don't see the point in splashing out on a new bike.
    At the same time I wouldn't mind freshening it up.
    Would I see much of a difference between Ultegra 10s to Ultegra 11s?
    Is it a worthwhile upgrade?
    One downside is that the Giant wheels that came with it and I use in winter will be redundant.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you're going to be buying new wheels too an winter ones at that, might be better value in buying a full bike and having the other as a winter one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I think we can all agree you need a new bike

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

rayman1 wrote: »
    I don't see the point in splashing out on a new bike.

Your a lost cause so! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

4 year old bike? Time to retire it into being your winter bike and get a new bike! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

Thanks lads. I actually have another bike which I use as backup and sometimes in the winter if the roads are very bad.
    Any chance someone could answer the real question, is there much of a difference between Ultegra 10s to Ultegra 11s?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Thanks lads. I actually have another bike which I use as backup and sometimes in the winter if the roads are very bad.
    Any chance someone could answer the real question, is there much of a difference between Ultegra 10s to Ultegra 11s?

It goes to 11?

But seriously, it's hardly worth it for the minor change it will afford you. You can still get the same range of gears on a 10 speed, 11-28 or whathaveyou.

My winter bike is 9 speed and my race bike is 11, I can't say I notice the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

I have both and haven't noticed much of a difference bar the 11 feeling newer which is to be expected. Think it has a 28 whereas the10 goes to 25. Stand to be corrected on that though. Must check it out today as it won't be out in that rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I've a 9 speed and an 11 speed both with practically the same range, I don't notice a difference, 9 speed is sora, 11 is ultegra... Shifts a bit better alright that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

If your shifters derailleurs etc are worn just buy 5800 groupset.

Keep your wheels by doing this
    http://darkspeedworks.com/blog-11speed.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

It is not worth it. Next time you buy a bike you'll pretty much have no option but to go 11 speed (unless by then there's a 12 speed groupset), so that's the time to upgrade, as part of a new package.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I'm bringing an old bike back to life by 'downgrading' it from 10s Ultegra to 11s 105, to bring it into line with the newer bike.

New 105 shifts just as well as the older Ultegra with just a weight penalty of a couple of hundred grams. I guess it follows that 11s Ultegra works just as fine as 10s Ultegra with the same weight saving.

FWIW, your old 10s chainset will continue to work with the new 11s which is what I'm doing with the overhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I upgraded my bike from 10 speed to 11 only because Im a vain sad sod.Have'nt noticed any difference what so ever.Not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

I've been riding campy centur/Athena/chorus for the last 20 years changed to 6800 and I feel its surpassed it on shifting and durability over campy centur (had two shifters go) within two years. I'm into my 3rd year with 6800

Advertisement