If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cosmetic issue / flaw with Denon AVR X2300

Options
  • 27-05-2017 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I purchased a Denon AVR X2300W off ye just before Christmas. I've been very pleased with it, great machine!

However, this morning when doing a bit of tidying up in the living room I noticed that there seems to be a problem with the front panel of the Denon. It is very very strange and hard to describe but it seems like the coating / paint on the front plastic panel above the LCD display and around the "Denon" badge is bubbling and chipping or peeling off! The unit has never been touched with any cleaners or anything like that so this is strange. I can't think what could be causing it, other than maybe the general heat that the unit gives off might be causing it?

Now it does appear to be purely cosmetic, unless there's other problems underneath that I cannot see. But it is barely 5-6 months old so I'm a bit disappointed and concerned it will get much worse.

I tried taking some pics, but it's very hard to capture with a phone camera. The attached pics might give you an idea. If you look closely above the LCD panel you'll see small bubbling and "chip" marks on the plastic panel...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Here's one of the pics again where I've attempted to circle where the issue is most obvious. But I can see evidence of this starting all across the top of this panel, the width of the unit...

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi, that is very strange, generally cosmetic issues are not covered by warranty, as they are usually caused by outside influences, for example the use of cleaning chemicals which damage the high gloss surfaces.  However I will certainly contact Denon  and see what they have to say.  Due to it being a bank holiday up here tomorrow it will be later in the week before I can contact them.  As soon as I hear from them I will drop you a PM

Regards Stephen

Hi, that is very strange, generally cosmetic issues are not covered by warranty, as they are usually caused by outside influences, for example the use of cleaning chemicals which damage the high gloss surfaces.  However I will certainly contact Denon  and see what they have to say.  Due to it being a bank holiday up here tomorrow it will be later in the week before I can contact them.  As soon as I hear from them I will drop you a PM

Regards Stephen

Hi Stephen,
    Thanks - as I mentioned, it absolutely definitely was never touched with any cleaners of any kind. I'd be very particular about that kind of thing.

I would certainly expect something like this to fall under a warranty concern, especially as the unit is so relatively new. I'd be concerned that whatever the underlying issue is could get worse, perhaps something behind that panel is defective / overheating and causing the cosmetic problem. I don't know.

Joe.

JoeA3 wrote: »

Regards Stephen

Hi Stephen,
    Thanks - as I mentioned, it absolutely definitely was never touched with any cleaners of any kind. I'd be very particular about that kind of thing.

I would certainly expect something like this to fall under a warranty concern, especially as the unit is so relatively new. I'd be concerned that whatever the underlying issue is could get worse, perhaps something behind that panel is defective / overheating and causing the cosmetic problem. I don't know.

Joe.
    Hi Joe.

I suppose the best thing to do would be to return the unit to ourselves and we can send it to Denon for evaluation.

This will save anytime messing around and we can let Denon have a look.
    I would be very surprised if the unit is generating so much heat that it is melting the casing.

Regards Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Joe.
    Hi Joe.

I suppose the best thing to do would be to return the unit to ourselves and we can send it to Denon for evaluation.

I would be very surprised if the unit is generating so much heat that it is melting the casing.

Hi Kenny,
    Thanks for reply, but its not really the solution or help I was looking for tbh. I'm in Galway and unhooking a myriad of cables and boxing up the unit to send it off and then be without it for days / weeks (??!) is really not the ideal scenario. As of now, the issue appears to be only cosmetic, and while that is minor, it is still very annoying that a relatively new machine is deteriorating in appearance in such a short period of time. I know that when the machine has been on for a while, the top of the unit, towards the front gets quite hot. I know most AVR's get hot with usage and it is normal, but surely it shouldn't get so hot as to potentially damage its own case?

Can the problem be relayed by yourselves first to Denon (I can try to provide more photos if needed?), and see what they say? They will surely come back and say it is a known issue or not. Or likely to get worse? Or possibly due to some internal issue?

At the very least, can this problem be recorded / put on file, so that if indeed the problem does worsen or I have other possibly related issues with the AVR, that I am covered? Incidentally, is it only a 12 month warranty I have on it, or is it 5 years? I can't remember...

I can take this to PM if needed.

Thank you
    Joe.

• Advertisement

Regards Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Joe.
    Hi Joe.

Hi Kenny,
    Thanks for reply, but its not really the solution or help I was looking for tbh. I'm in Galway and unhooking a myriad of cables and boxing up the unit to send it off and then be without it for days / weeks (??!) is really not the ideal scenario. As of now, the issue appears to be only cosmetic, and while that is minor, it is still very annoying that a relatively new machine is deteriorating in appearance in such a short period of time. I know that when the machine has been on for a while, the top of the unit, towards the front gets quite hot. I know most AVR's get hot with usage and it is normal, but surely it shouldn't get so hot as to potentially damage its own case?

Can the problem be relayed by yourselves first to Denon (I can try to provide more photos if needed?), and see what they say? They will surely come back and say it is a known issue or not. Or likely to get worse? Or possibly due to some internal issue?

At the very least, can this problem be recorded / put on file, so that if indeed the problem does worsen or I have other possibly related issues with the AVR, that I am covered? Incidentally, is it only a 12 month warranty I have on it, or is it 5 years? I can't remember...

I can take this to PM if needed.

Thank you
    Joe.
    Hi Joe.

I will indeed speak to Denon but they always ask to see the unit for themselves. Without having the unit in front of them they will not be able to determine if there is a fault with it or not.
    All repairs are a return to base procedure and we would then return it to the manufacturer.
    It is not an known issue as out of the hundreds we have sold this is the first time I have seen something like this happen.

Again I can not see it having heated up enough to melt the hard plastic front plate as the heat to melt this would have totally melted the insides of the unit including the solder on the main board as this would melt easier than the face plate. We have our 2300 running in our Demo room all day for at least 8-9 hours a day.

If you can email me some of the photos to Kenny@richersounds.ie and I will forward them to Denon also.

Denon come with a 2 year warranty as standard. If you PM your full name I can check if you purchased our super care on this product and also log the issue with the unit.

I don't want to see you left unhappy but without having the unit back for inspection it is nearly impossible to guess what could have caused this.

Thanks Kenny, I sent you a PM and I will forward on more photos later this evening.

Thanks,
    Joe.

Thanks Kenny, I sent you a PM and I will forward on more photos later this evening.

Thanks,
    Joe.
    Cheers JoeA3.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Folks

I know intervention by a third party is not general acceptable here,but can I suggest that those bubbles look very mch as if there is a protective film over the facia.

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    Folks

I know intervention by a third party is not general acceptable here,but can I suggest that those bubbles look very mch as if there is a protective film over the facia.

Thanks
    Someone else suggested that to me too (that it could be simply packaging protective film that I never removed) when I showed them the photo but that is definitely not the case here. The bubbling is on the fascia itself. The fascia is plastic but has a brushed-metal (fake) appearance. That laminate/film on the fascia is what has failed here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

Phoenix3,

You're right, interventions are unwelcome as a rule, particularly when the matter concerns a customer query of this kind. However, your suggestion is understandable and the OP has taken it on board, so I'm not snipping your post.  However, I'd appreciate if this was the only third party intervention on the thread.

All,

Please refrain from offering any further opinion/advice, it will not be helpful to muddy the waters here.

Thanks,

Ritz

The Ritz wrote: »
    Mod Comment:

Phoenix3,

You're right, interventions are unwelcome as a rule, particularly when the matter concerns a customer query of this kind. However, your suggestion is understandable and the OP has taken it on board, so I'm not snipping your post. However, I'd appreciate if this was the only third party intervention on the thread.

All,

Please refrain from offering any further opinion/advice, it will not be helpful to muddy the waters here.

Thanks,

Ritz
    Cheers Ritz.

Just to clear things up.

There is no protective film across the front face of this unit as confirmed above by the OP.

Thank you to Kenny, John, et all in Richersounds for resolving this problem for me. I got my receiver back today, repaired under warranty, good as new. Delighted to have it back!

Thanks again guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Fair play. 

Thank you to Kenny, John, et all in Richersounds for resolving this problem for me. I got my receiver back today, repaired under warranty, good as new. Delighted to have it back!

Thanks again guys.
    Hi JoeA3,

Glad you got sorted! Don't hesitate to contact us if you need anything else!

Many thanks

David

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tzadka

Hi guys,
    I purchased a Denon AVR X2300W off ye just before Christmas. I've been very pleased with it, great machine!

However, this morning when doing a bit of tidying up in the living room I noticed that there seems to be a problem with the front panel of the Denon. It is very very strange and hard to describe but it seems like the coating / paint on the front plastic panel above the LCD display and around the "Denon" badge is bubbling and chipping or peeling off! The unit has never been touched with any cleaners or anything like that so this is strange. I can't think what could be causing it, other than maybe the general heat that the unit gives off might be causing it?

Now it does appear to be purely cosmetic, unless there's other problems underneath that I cannot see. But it is barely 5-6 months old so I'm a bit disappointed and concerned it will get much worse.

I tried taking some pics, but it's very hard to capture with a phone camera. The attached pics might give you an idea. If you look closely above the LCD panel you'll see small bubbling and "chip" marks on the plastic panel...
    Hi, 

I Recently had a similar issue with an X1400 where the front panel chipped off In some places and looks bubbly. I had the receiver replaced through Amazon.

I had the replaced unit for over one and a half years. 

Have you experienced the same with your replaced 2300 or is it all good now?

Thanks. 

Tzadka wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Hi, 

I Recently had a similar issue with an X1400 where the front panel chipped off In some places and looks bubbly. I had the receiver replaced through Amazon.

I had the replaced unit for over one and a half years. 

Have you experienced the same with your replaced 2300 or is it all good now?

Thanks. 
    Hi Tzadka.

The post you have replied to is nearly two years old.

If you are having some issue with a product purchased from ourselves here at Richersounds please send an email over to our guys in our service department.
    service@Richersounds.ie
    If you include you full name and perhaps a picture or two of the cosmetic issue they will look into it for you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Tzadka,

As a new user on Boards it would be useful for you to read the Boards FAQ ( see home page) and also to read the Charter for each forum where you intend to post - your query here is misplaced as it resurrects a two year old thread, mentions another retailer, and seeks to start a discussion rather than raise a query with Richersounds, all of which are inappropriate per the Charter.

Boards is an interesting, useful and diverse place where you’re welcome to join the journey - a little reading about forum standards will make that journey easier.

Thread closed to avoid further resurrections.

Ritz.

This discussion has been closed.