Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden design

Options
  • 27-05-2017 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,

Just looking for a good location or garden centre on the east coast or midlands where I can view garden design examples, you know, ideas for layout of terrace, furniture, patio grass areas / flowers and the like?

Any details much appreciated thank you:)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Kilquade garden centre. They have - or certainly used to - have extensive show gardens of multiple different styles.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

bloom is on next weekend in dublin more garden designs and advice than you could shake a trellis at

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Just a few thoughts...

Good suggestions offered above:

But bear in mind that gardens are alive...they evolve and grow....I mean, not just as the plants do, but as spaces.
    You'd have to consider what you like most in a garden.

Being able to sit in the sun on a warm evening?
    Eating outside on a sunny day?
    Favourite kinds of plants like roses? alpines? shrubs? trees? Lawn grass?
    Barbecue - near house or far away?
    Its lovely to walk around a garden without retracing your steps, and this can be done in even a very small space: it is also great to "come cross" some little corner or view or special piece that can't be seen from the house or the garden entrance!
    Sculpture? Water?

Bloom is a great source of ideas. And there are many books with diagrams of possible designs, as well as professionals who do it as a service, of course.

But your own preference and personal style matter the most, in my opinion! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Shiftworker

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Just a few thoughts...

Good suggestions offered above:

But bear in mind that gardens are alive...they evolve and grow....I mean, not just as the plants do, but as spaces.
    You'd have to consider what you like most in a garden.

Being able to sit in the sun on a warm evening?
    Eating outside on a sunny day?
    Favourite kinds of plants like roses? alpines? shrubs? trees? Lawn grass?
    Barbecue - near house or far away?
    Its lovely to walk around a garden without retracing your steps, and this can be done in even a very small space: it is also great to "come cross" some little corner or view or special piece that can't be seen from the house or the garden entrance!
    Sculpture? Water?

Bloom is a great source of ideas. And there are many books with diagrams of possible designs, as well as professionals who do it as a service, of course.

But your own preference and personal style matter the most, in my opinion! :-)

Hi there,

Thank you,

You sound passionate about the subject and I imagine your garden is quite impressive.

Our garden is approx 45ft x 35ft.

I kinda have a loose vision of what I want to achieve, just need a little inspiration.

We like barbecues and sitting out in the sun. We have a 3 year old too so maintaining a decent lawn is important.
    Not mad on trees or large bushes and actually removed some to make way for my new shed. I do like the idea of small potted trees and maybe colourful flower wall boxes around the garden and terrace.

I plan to build a raised wooden terrace or patio area. However, I would prefer stone / paved patio but not sure if I really want to put in 7/8 tonne or stone to achieve it, timber though, needs mainainance and can be quite slippy when wet.

We have a large stone terrace directly outside the back door but it's shaded so plan to reclaim some but not all of this area for lawn grass instead. On the subject of lawn grass, mine seems to have a number of species or grades throughout, we purchased the house only three years ago so an inherited problem I'm afraid. I really would like to start over and reseed correctly.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I can't help on the overall design question I'm afraid - but just a word of warning about your desire for potted trees and wall boxes/planters - they're high maintenance, and you'll be killed trying to keep them watered, especially if they're in a sunny spot!

I have a small back space (couldn't in all honesty call it a garden!) which I have paved, with one raised bed and a good few pots. The pots have to be watered every single day, even when it rains.

Just as long as you're aware. Stuff planted in the ground is much more forgiving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Shiftworker

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I can't help on the overall design question I'm afraid - but just a word of warning about your desire for potted trees and wall boxes/planters - they're high maintenance, and you'll be killed trying to keep them watered, especially if they're in a sunny spot!

I have a small back space (couldn't in all honesty call it a garden!) which I have paved, with one raised bed and a good few pots. The pots have to be watered every single day, even when it rains.

Just as long as you're aware. Stuff planted in the ground is much more forgiving.

Good point, I have absolutely no idea about gardening but I do like being surrounded by flowers and colour so I guess I'll learn as time goes on. I could plant al the edges and if I put in boxes I could take an automatic watering line from my waterbutt.

Advertisement