Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retaining Walls- Include in build or do separately.

Options
  • 27-05-2017 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

As the thread title states. We will be building house and getting a builder to do it but have to build 2 retaining walls for the site. Would we save money getting a private contractor to do this separate to builder?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

One engineer or two different engineers to supervise?
    One jcb excavating or two different guys?
    One concrete price or two

One contractor to deal with or two...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What if there is a problem where builder 1 doesn't do it right and this affects builder 2?

A single contractor for everything means it's their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gerk13

one engineer signing off on work. One contractor doing retaining walls and another doing all other works seperately. I would have thought if engineer signs off on it then builder would be happy to do other work as it's been okayed by engineer. I'm only assuming that builder doing all other works would be happy to continue on. Looking for ways to save money as site is difficult. Long narrow and on a slope.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

gerk13 wrote: »
    one engineer signing off on work. One contractor doing retaining walls and another doing all other works seperately.
    This is unlikely to save money. If you are trying to split part off from the builder's tender, then you are risking the financial viability of the project for the house builder. If the contractor has front-loaded their tender, then that needs to be raised with them by your consultants (you should stay out of it).
    I would have thought if engineer signs off on it then builder would be happy to do other work as it's been okayed by engineer. I'm only assuming that builder doing all other works would be happy to continue on.
    Oh they would - until a crack in the wall is found or their is a void in the fill behind it that compromises the foundations after they have been poured.
    Looking for ways to save money as site is difficult. Long narrow and on a slope.
    Do you have to build there?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gerk13

We were gifted the site and yes for personal reasons we want to stay here too.

I hear what you're saying with your other points. It was suggested by someone else to do the walls seperately to save money but I thought myself the main builder would probably have issue with it. Thanks for the reply.

• Advertisement
Advertisement