Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modification of vehicle from manufacturer's specifications.

Options
  • 27-05-2017 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭

If you modify a vehicle from the manufacturer's original specifications that is a material fact that should be disclosed to insurers.

My question is to know what exactly it is that the underwriter is after with this information and what might be expected to fall "materially" within the scope of such an alteration ?

Suppose that my car engine needs to be replaced. If the garage replaces it with a perfectly identical engine I would not expect that to be a problem for an insurer. However, if the gearbox was replaced with a different one would that be a problem ?

There are lots of changes that can be made to cars that might, on a strict view, be a change from original manufacturer's specifications . Where and how does an underwriter draw the line of distinction between an alteration that is material and one that is not ?

I anticipate the reply that if in doubt declare it and I see the logic of that. What I am really wondering is how the underwriter sees the issue and why ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

NUTLEY BOY wrote:
    My question is to know what exactly it is that the underwriter is after with this information and what might be expected to fall "materially" within the scope of such an alteration ?

NUTLEY BOY wrote:
    I anticipate the reply that if in doubt declare it and I see the logic of that. What I am really wondering is how the underwriter sees the issue and why ?

It is one of the features of underwriting that is hardest to define. Generally, it is something that will affect the performance, value and theft attractiveness of the standard model. However, insurers will be interested in profiling the driver with the modification, such as amending suspension, brakes, remapping as they will give a clear picture of what they have on their books

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    If you modify a vehicle from the manufacturer's original specifications that is a material fact that should be disclosed to insurers.

Suppose that my car engine needs to be replaced. If the garage replaces it with a perfectly identical engine I would not expect that to be a problem for an insurer. However, if the gearbox was replaced with a different one would that be a problem ?

It's not necessarily a 'problem' but the answer is in your first sentence. In the case of your new gearbox, you have modified the vehicle from the 'manufacturer's original specifications' so you would be required to notify the insurance company and it's for them to decide if that represents a material change, not you or posters on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Addition of a tow bar is something that an insurance company needs to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

Hand controls must be notified but doesn't increase premium.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If in doubt disclose.

I'd be of the opinion that certain mods should and will trigger a premium increase, and rightly so. The likes of:-

1/. Higher value alloys.
    2/. Bigger fatter tyres.
    3/. Any suspension/brake enhancements.
    4/. Rollcage.
    5/. Racing seats.
    6/. Different seatbelts (harnesses).
    7/. Fancier i.c.e. system.
    8/. A lairy paintjob.
    9/. Remapping.

It's subjective but it's really anything that enhances performance or makes the vehicle more attractive to a potential thief.

• Advertisement
Advertisement