Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The country with the highest MDMA usage in the world...

• 27-05-2017 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭

Ireland has the world’s highest usage of the party drug MDMA, with 39.7 percent of respondents to a global survey admitting to taking the drug in pill or powder form in the last year, findings from the Global Drugs Survey 2017 (GDS) reveal.

The GDS is “an independent global drug use data exchange hub that conducts university ethics approved, anonymous online surveys,” according to its website. Results of the survey were announced on Wednesday with data submitted by 115,000 participants from 50 countries.

Overall, the study revealed several interesting findings about recreational drug use around the world, with some surprising results. The party drug MDMA featured heavily throughout the global survey, finding Ireland as the biggest user per capita.

The figure is an improvement, however, on the whopping 58 percent of Irish respondents who reported taking the drug in Ireland in 2016.

Despite MDMA’s popularity in Ireland, cannabis still reigns supreme as the drug of choice for young people on the island, with 73.5 percent of respondents saying they had smoked weed in the past year.

https://www.rt.com/viral/389920-worlds-biggest-mdma-user/

Why are young Irish people taking so much MDMA, that is confirmed to permanently damage health?

Is it the fault of parents, the education system, law enforcement or gang influence?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They are just surveying the wrong people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Who did they interview?

40% of people at a rave, yeah I'd happily believe that.

General population...doubtful

Patww79 wrote: »
    Should ​be a test for it. Fall and college/job gone.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

The majority of university students in Ireland will take mdma at least once throughout their 4 years, into. It's shocking the amount of drugs being used in colleges.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭steviebg

Stupid comment.

To deter degenerates.

Right. That's it? Open/shut case? How old are you if I may ask? 37/38 based on username? I guarantee someone you know has used MDMA. Might be someone you're very friendly with. Fire the degenerate?

• Advertisement

Yep. They are degenerates. As are the people i know that do coke etc.

I'd lock them up but that might be a bit harsh and expensive.

And if you have young adult kids who're tempted to dabble?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭steviebg

Or just one a close minded person (or MDMA user) disagrees with.[/quote]
    Yeah make someone loose their livelihood for taking a recreational drug! And I'm the one with a closed mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

you have to be a bit damaged to put this crap in your body when you have no idea how or where it was made.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

They did a survey with 500 people here

Waste of time

Be listening to this out of every inbred for years to come.

And how they should all be picking up rubbish and climbing some hillock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Showing your ignorance there really Pat.

MDMA is closer to caffeine than coke. Not addictive and normally non harmful to the body. Heroin "junkies" are a thing, you might call them degenerates. Like alcoholics. People dont become MDMA addicts. AFAIK you cant even build up a dependency like caffeine. Alcohol is empirically more harmful but you are unlikely calling for anyone who has a pint to be thrown in the joy are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Any yokes nah?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Surely taking their lives from them will make them more liable to do even harder drugs? Have never done mdma myself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

According to the authors of the survey....
    Our recruitment strategy is an example of non-purposive sampling. We acknowledge that this has significant limitations, most notably with respect to response bias. It is more likely that individuals will respond to surveys if they see topics or items that are of interest to them, and thus by definition will differ from those who do not participate.

https://www.globaldrugsurvey.com/wp-content/themes/globaldrugsurvey/results/GDS2017_key-findings-report_final.pdf
    That would go some way to explaining those ridiculously high usage figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Patww79 wrote:

Patww79 wrote:

It's sharing the world with people who think like you that would drive someone to drugs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Narrow minded idiot. You haven't a f**king clue what you're talking about. Why should someone get to tell me whether I can take MDMA or not? Get out and live a little and meet people.

Mod: banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

hefferboi wrote: »
    The majority of university students in Ireland will take mdma at least once throughout their 4 years, into. It's shocking the amount of drugs being used in colleges.

When I was in secondary school hardly anybody used drugs. It was a small country town. When I went to college at the start I thought drug use was high but after a few weeks I figured out it was only really certain people and it was still easy to go on nights out and avoid drugs if you wanted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Because you're not supposed to and you're a degenerate if you do. So laws should be there to control that you can't take it. Nothing personal against mdma, same for all illegal drugs.

I also don't want to meet anyone off their tits on drugs and wouldn't call it 'living a little'.

Surely you're big enough to make your own mind up on things like this, instead of "government told me it was bad, ergo its bad"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Are you trolling? It's hard to believe someone could be so narrow minded.
    I doubt you've ever broken a law have you? Clown.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Give me someone on MDMA over a drunk person any day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Should ​be a test for it. Fail and college/job gone.

Have you spent much time in the real world at all? I can't tell if you're fifteen or fifty, but you're probably on a wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

ED E wrote: »
    Showing your ignorance there really Pat.

MDMA is closer to caffeine than coke. Not addictive and normally non harmful to the body. Heroin "junkies" are a thing, you might call them degenerates. Like alcoholics. People dont become MDMA addicts. AFAIK you cant even build up a dependency like caffeine. Alcohol is empirically more harmful but you are unlikely calling for anyone who has a pint to be thrown in the joy are you?

MDMA has been shown to irreversibly impair nerve function. In moderate doses it is most likely not particularly harmful but it is not a harmless drug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Despite MDMA’s popularity in Ireland, cannabis still reigns supreme as the drug of choice for young people on the island, with 73.5 percent of respondents saying they had smoked weed in the past year.

The average age of participants was 29, with a demographic split of 68 percent male, 32 percent female. Sixty-five percent of participants in the survey admitted to taking illegal drugs in the past year.

They boasted the world wide number, but the fact that they don't reveal how many Irish survey participants they had would say it's quite low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Why are young Irish people taking so much MDMA, that is confirmed to permanently damage health?
    Because it's loads of fun. People have been taking mdma since the 90s, the first users of it are now in their 40s or 50s. In the mid noughties it seemed like everyone was taking it every town in Ireland. Those people are now in their late 30's, have families, jobs, and haven't ended up with any permanent brain damage. Young people use drugs and tend to have gone through that phase by their 30s. 30% of Irish people using MDMA at least once in their lives doesn't sound unrealistic to me at all.

If the medical concerns that are always brought up about drugs were true our hospitals would be over run and that's just not happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

ScumLord wrote: »
    Because it's loads of fun. People have been taking mdma since the 90s, the first users of it are now in their 40s or 50s. In the mid noughties it seemed like everyone was taking it every town in Ireland. Those people are now in their late 30's, have families, jobs, and haven't ended up with any permanent brain damage. Young people use drugs and tend to have gone through that phase by their 30s. 30% of Irish people using MDMA at least once in their lives doesn't sound unrealistic to me at all.

Yes they have. The science proves it, the only question is how much. What's your idea of brain damaged, that people wouldn't be able to function at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Sometimes I think Boards is populated with the naivest folks imaginable.

If the medical concerns that are always brought up about drugs were true our hospitals would be over run and that's just not happening.

You need a licence to keep a dog but nothing to raise a child!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

mzungu wrote: »
    According to the authors of the survey....That would go some way to explaining those ridiculously high usage figures.

Bull**** in other words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Yes they have. The science proves it, the only question is how much.

As far as I'm aware, the jury is still out on this. Testing of animals (mice/rats I believe) showed that the doses required to produce neurotoxicity have generally been considerably higher than a human user would normally take, but smaller animals are also usually more resistant to drug toxicity than humans. I'm no expert though.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »

Correct drugs users are always very naive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Correct drugs users are always very naive!

That covers everyone ever then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

If you're to include weed, imagine you'll find most people have tried one ofthem. You propose firing a large proportion of the country. :D I've done weed in past, I'm rather good at my job. The guy who sits next to me has also done it, he's fantastic at his job. So basically, you propose firing the competent for something which doesn't affect their job in the slightest...

Well, not every drug has the same effect. Personally, I wouldn't touch mdma for the uncertainty of what goes into it. I know people who have and they're far from degenerates.

By the way, hardline stances have never historically worked. Not every drug should be treated the same but treating and treating every user as a criminal will not help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I know a fair few people that would be fine with weed, but would stay the hell away from anything harder, including MDMA. None of them have gone off their heads, wasted their lives or cra - actually, one did crash into a tree, but weed wasn't involved (icy road but he was fine).

Wouldn't touch MDMA myself, but not going to jump up and down on someone who tries it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Arghus wrote: »

The rest is made of people trying to justify their own scumbag behaviour.

Schwiiing wrote: »
    The rest is made of people trying to justify their own scumbag behaviour.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Dr Crayfish banned for a month. Patww79 for a day.

Schwiiing, Dr Crayfish and Patww79 banned from the thread.

Everyone else, cut out the abuse and snarkiness. This got too heated too quickly.

Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Young people use drugs and tend to have gone through that phase by their 30s. 30% of Irish people using MDMA at least once in their lives doesn't sound unrealistic to me at all.

Yeah but its saying usage in the last year which is rather different, myself and a good chunk of my peers would be in the taken in their lives category but in no way would be taking with any regularity at all, in fact in relation to drugs know a lot of people that once they hit late twenties/30's gave up everything apart from alcohol.
    I think there is a tendencies for the perception of number of users to be exaggerated depending on who's asking in that some people are quite evangelical about drug use.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Gosh, quite the nation of pill poppers. I find the idea of someone deliberately altering their own mind with a pill a bit unsettling and would prefer to be around a clear headed smoker or even a merry drunk than that.

The ''live a little'' comment to a different poster was a bit misjudged imo. In order to feel like you're living you need a pill, I think it's your own life you should be looking at. I would never sneer at someone like that if they expressed a dislike of cigarettes. The ideal would be to need no artificial help to function at your best through stress, or to enjoy life or to have fun or to drop inhibitions or to get to sleep or to stay awake all day. It seems most people need help with at least one of the above. It's only the smokers who get the ''that's disgusting!'' attitude, and critics of smoking rarely get a response of ''well you need to stop being sanctimonious and live a little, ya boring old fart'' .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Yes they have. The science proves it, the only question is how much. What's your idea of brain damaged, that people wouldn't be able to function at all?
    My idea of brain damage would be somehow impaired. Brain cells are dying every day, if you head a football you damage something like 5,000 brain cells.

What's your idea of brain damage?

• Advertisement
Advertisement